What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 128 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Went to do front tire swap on my bike and noticed that the head of one of the brake caliper bolts was partially stripped by the previous owner. Tried to get it off and it feels like it's seized.

I was able to get the brake caliper off on the opposite side so I could at least swap the tire out, but will need to get this rounded bolt out when it comes time for brake pad replacement. I have no expereince with removing such things.

What's the best way to remove it?
Heat it and use some penetrating oil and then try to take it off?

Thanks!

I have this induction heater you can try. It will only heat the bolt head (or anything else you surround by the coil), so it should be easy to limit heat damage to anything else.

I can't stop seeing this:

images

I have this induction heater you can try. It will only heat the bolt head (or anything else you surround by the coil), so it should be easy to limit heat damage to anything else.

Does this work? have you tried this, and where do you get something like that?

I can't stop seeing this:

images
I finally got one of these after using a pile of scrap wood or bricks for years:
miV9Bknm.jpg

My first plan is to use it to rest the side stand on when loading the bike onto the stinger trailer.

Does this work? have you tried this, and where do you get something like that?

Works amazingly well. And it sure is fun watching it turn nuts and bolts or anything that fits within a coil red hot within a minute or two (and not the surroundings). I got it in preparation for doing some suspension work on my Subaru (sway bar links, control arm bushings, ball joints).

I might not have pulled the trigger at full price, but there was one on Amazon Warehouse Deals as a used item for $170. It looked brand new, and you could barely tell that one of the coils looked like it had been used. By the time I was done, it looked way worse.

Works amazingly well. And it sure is fun watching it turn nuts and bolts or anything that fits within a coil red hot within a minute or two (and not the surroundings). I got it in preparation for doing some suspension work on my Subaru (sway bar links, control arm bushings, ball joints).

Just to clarify, on Subaru ball joints, the ball joint pinch bolt rusts and seizes in the middle at the pinch, so heating the head of the bolt does nothing. You need to heat the bolt at the pinch, but since you can't get a coil around it I had to use a torch. If I had one of these coils, I might have been able to hold it next to it (like heating a frying pan):

7503.jpg

Thanks - will keep you posted if I have trouble when the time comes!

I mowed the lawn yesterday, then had an hour to kill before supper. I'm bored. What to do? I know! I'll adjust the valves on the Guzzi, even though it's not quite due.

IMG-20230808-184539512.jpg

Checking valves on my old Triumph Tiger, a shim and bucket arrangement, was always a bigger job, and would require several days of thought and planning before I finally became motivated. Not so the Guzzi! What a treat to work on! And the valves are barely out of spec, just slightly loose, but I'll adjust them anyway, because it's so easy! Had this been the Triumph, I would have left them be.

Screws and locknuts FTW!

back to the drawing board with my SV. I had to call CAA to save me. It was giving me problems south of Shelburne. It felt like it was running on one or even half a cylinder.
I think it might be a pinched fuel line. I installed an inline fuel shut off because of a leak (ugh, I've replaced parts and still nothing) and I think when I lowered the tank, it restricted the fuel flow.
Before this issue, I replaced the stator but when I parked it for that job, it was running fine, minus the charging system.

Thought I was sent a bum part for my KTM but turns out I just don't know how to put a Mikuni TMX back together correctly. A quick Youtube tutorial fixed that and had my dirty bike up and running again and no more leaky fuel.

Stock up from Partsavatar. You can buy WIX filters in bulk if you plan on keeping the vehicle a while. Usually a good deal on oil there also. Stock up on cabin and intake filters while you're at it.
First experience is not going well at all. Ordered seven days ago (parts for wifes car). All parts in stock. Expected delivery Aug 8-10. "Order can't be cancelled at this point" from the instant it was placed. Entire order is still preparing for shipping. Boo.

First experience is not going well at all. Ordered seven days ago (parts for wifes car). All parts in stock. Expected delivery Aug 8-10. "Order can't be cancelled at this point" from the instant it was placed. Entire order is still preparing for shipping. Boo.
Give them a call. I've called with questions before and they'll actually answer the phone quickly which is nice.

Give them a call. I've called with questions before and they'll actually answer the phone quickly which is nice.
Got something. Not a great solution though. If you have already missed your delivery window, telling people that you will ship it by mid-next week is pretty crap. If they had just told be mid-next week to start, I would have gone elsewhere for this order. Promising a six-day delivery at the outside and hitting closer to 14 does not make for happy customers.

"Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please stay online while I check the order for you.

As checked with your order ID, your order is allocated and will be shipped within 24-36 business hours.

I have marked a note to the warehouse department to expedite the order and will try to deliver your order as soon as possible."

Last edited:
Got something. Not a great solution though. If you have already missed your delivery window, telling people that you will ship it by mid-next week is pretty crap. If they had just told be mid-next week to start, I would have gone elsewhere for this order. Promising a six-day delivery at the outside and hitting closer to 14 does not make for happy customers.

"Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please stay online while I check the order for you.

As checked with your order ID, your order is allocated and will be shipped within 24-36 business hours.

I have marked a note to the warehouse department to expedite the order and will try to deliver your order as soon as possible."

If it hasn't shipped, why won't they let you cancel, especially after they are not meeting the quoted delivery ETA? Good to know, as I was going to order from them, and when they say in stock available for pickup, I expect to be able to drop in and pick up same day.

Back
Top Bottom