What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 108 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Welded up a side cover for the QT50, replacements are unobtanium. Recycled the 19 guage sheet metal off an old HP computer case.

20230309_220116.jpg20230309_220104.jpg

Amazon. New carb. Done.
Yup, when I realized how cheap a replacement is there it’s the way to go if it’s likely a carb issue just buy the new one for $25ish instead of mucking with the old one.
Keeping with the snowblower theme, mine will need new friction wheel, disc, and I should replace the fuel lines because they’re old. But there’s also a Spring sale on Ariens units so this on is on the way to my dealer for me.
8B6D9818-70FE-422A-8AB2-4AE0516B6F57.png

Busy night in the shop last night. Installed an S&S Super E carb on the '77 Shovelhead. The 45 year old Keihin needed to be retired.

S&S1.jpgS&S2.jpgS&S3.jpg

Yup, when I realized how cheap a replacement is there it’s the way to go if it’s likely a carb issue just buy the new one for $25ish instead of mucking with the old one.
Keeping with the snowblower theme, mine will need new friction wheel, disc, and I should replace the fuel lines because they’re old. But there’s also a Spring sale on Ariens units so this on is on the way to my dealer for me.
View attachment 59795
I'm also tempted to just buy a new snowblower and be ready for next winter.

The one I have is good...but a new one is always better!

Well that didn’t take long. But the damn hose is too small for the main fuel line from the tank. Frak.

26E061AB-789C-41B0-A7EE-A78C2DA2784B.jpeg

I finally reassembled the snowblower for the 2nd time.

I got ripped off on the traction belt by a local small engine repair shop. I asked for a Kevlar belt and the guy said "Yes, it will be Kevlar, I can bring one in". When picking it up I asked again and he did confirm that it is kevlar. Fine, I took his word for it but once I got home and compared it to the original one and the auger kevlar belt that I already replaced earlier in the the week, I had my doubts. Did some further research and in fact it is NOT kevlar. Paid $32+HST for a $18 belt.

I was going to take it back just for the principle of it but really didn't feel like reassembling the snow blower for the 3rd time if I sourced a Kevlar belt or another $18 belt for $18. Plus the guy is a bit of a weirdo so I really didn't want to have the conversation with him.

In this whole process I learned that it is nearly impossible to find a 1/2 X 34.5" V-Belt. My Husqvarna snowblower asked for a 34.5" belt and its hard enough to find one in rubber and nearly impossible in Kevlar. Called and visited close the a dozen places.

Belt is on the machine and its back up and running. Hopefully for the last time this season.

Last edited:
It works!

Replaced the carburetor, buttoned it all up and it wouldn’t fire.

Pull start, nothing.

The set came with a new spark plug so I threw that in. Didn’t think to try that first but assumed it was fuel supply as it started, chocked up, and died.

💥

Working like a champ. Except the starter isn’t firing it up so it needs a pull start.

Now the moral dilemma…do I return it to the neighbour or keep it as he gave it to me and I already promised it to my cousin if I get it fixed.

It works!

Replaced the carburetor, buttoned it all up and it wouldn’t fire.

Pull start, nothing.

The set came with a new spark plug so I threw that in. Didn’t think to try that first but assumed it was fuel supply as it started, chocked up, and died.

💥

Working like a champ. Except the starter isn’t firing it up so it needs a pull start.

Now the moral dilemma…do I return it to the neighbour or keep it as he gave it to me and I already promised it to my cousin if I get it fixed.
What was the deal? I assume the neighbour has written it off as he gave it to you. You have put in time and money. It is yours in my book unless some previous conversation indicated otherwise.

What was the deal? I assume the neighbour has written it off as he gave it to you. You have put in time and money. It is yours in my book unless some previous conversation indicated otherwise.
I asked 5 times if he’s sure because I’m going to try to fix it and keep it. He said ‘take it I don’t want it because it’s too expensive to diagnose ($200)’.

I fixed it for a total of $30.

I asked 5 times if he’s sure because I’m going to try to fix it and keep it. He said ‘take it I don’t want it because it’s too expensive to diagnose ($200)’.

Well, you were both right. If you have to pay for diagnosis (and then repair), replacement is often a more cost-effective option.

Keep it. I have a neighbour that has junked two 29" blowers because they won't run. He refuses to move the throttle beyond 1/4 and of course it bogs down and stalls. One of them he lost the gas cap and left it in the yard all summer. Lol

Last edited:
Out to snowblow today and the auger belt is toast....... Couldn't find my spare belt. Off to CT to buy a fractional HP 38" belt that will have to be changed out, but at least it got the blower working.

So I'm going through my steering stem/ triple tree sets in search of the best ones for my current SOHC project.
On 4 out of 6 the cast steering stop lumps are bent or broken off. Would love to see the video footage of these thing getting pranged.

So I'm going through my steering stem/ triple tree sets in search of the best ones for my current SOHC project.
On 4 out of 6 the cast steering stop lumps are bent or broken off. Would love to see the video footage of these thing getting pranged.
Could just be a tip over. Lots of energy focused on a small area.

Back
Top Bottom