What are you currently playing? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you currently playing?

Orcs Must Die 4: Even More Orcs (that must die)

?
Lol, I know the title does seem to be misleading, but it's a tower defence type game where they throw waves of Orcs at you, and well they gotta die. It's you or them!

Anyone with a passing interest in D&D or fantasy RPG's should check out Baldur's Gate III if you have a game-worthy PC or PS5 (XBox coming soon, apparently).

It's definitely swords and sorcery, and turn-based combat, so enjoyment may depend on tolerance for that approach. But for me, it's the best game I've played in years, if not decades. The sheer amount of options they give you, and freedom to play however you like with tangible consequences, means any one play through will be wildly different from any other. Combat is deep and nuanced (once you figure it out, as the tutorial is pretty basic), and the story is a lot of fun. It's pretty merciless as far as not signposting consequences for choices, but that adds to the fun for me, as living with bad outcomes can be more interesting than 100%ing everything.

(There's also zero microtransactions, loot boxes, Day 1 DLC, card packs, 'Live Services', seasons, or any of the other ways games are conspiring to drain our wallets these days. When you buy the game, you get all of it, and all the updates too.)

Anyone with a passing interest in D&D or fantasy RPG's should check out Baldur's Gate III if you have a game-worthy PC or PS5 (XBox coming soon, apparently).

It's definitely swords and sorcery, and turn-based combat, so enjoyment may depend on tolerance for that approach. But for me, it's the best game I've played in years, if not decades. The sheer amount of options they give you, and freedom to play however you like with tangible consequences, means any one play through will be wildly different from any other. Combat is deep and nuanced (once you figure it out, as the tutorial is pretty basic), and the story is a lot of fun. It's pretty merciless as far as not signposting consequences for choices, but that adds to the fun for me, as living with bad outcomes can be more interesting than 100%ing everything.

(There's also zero microtransactions, loot boxes, Day 1 DLC, card packs, 'Live Services', seasons, or any of the other ways games are conspiring to drain our wallets these days. When you buy the game, you get all of it, and all the updates too.)
I recently purchased it, but have not played it yet. Need to make sure I have a few hours to sink into it.. But it does look awesome.

I recently purchased it, but have not played it yet. Need to make sure I have a few hours to sink into it.. But it does look awesome.

Give yourself some time! I'm chipping away but barely into the third act. This one needs well over 100-150 hours, even just to do the main story and a few key side quests.

It's also wildly replayable, as different player races and classes change the story significantly. The best choice I made was deciding I'd replay it, so didn't need to cover every single nook and cranny in the first attempt, and also could make choices without Googling outcomes. Makes it a lot more fun to see how it all comes together...

Give yourself some time! I'm chipping away but barely into the third act. This one needs well over 100-150 hours, even just to do the main story and a few key side quests.

It's also wildly replayable, as different player races and classes change the story significantly. The best choice I made was deciding I'd replay it, so didn't need to cover every single nook and cranny in the first attempt, and also could make choices without Googling outcomes. Makes it a lot more fun to see how it all comes together...
Yeah, I like playing games for the 1st time blind, so I can learn.

Checking out more stuff in my backlog. Borderlands 3. Got it free from Epic a while ago. Never got into Borderlands the original game, but this version is really grabbing me. There is a lot of fun action and it's well presented.

Scored Cyberpunk with Liberty city bundle off Epic store for a sweet deal. Epic has a extra coupon you can use for 33% off. Got the bundle for like $50 bucks.

Scored Cyberpunk with Liberty city bundle off Epic store for a sweet deal. Epic has a extra coupon you can use for 33% off. Got the bundle for like $50 bucks.
Great game, you're gonna love it

Finished playing through Callisto Protocol, which was one of the free PS Plus games from last month. It was ok. Space horror type of situation. Kept me busy while I waited for black Friday. Which when it came, I finally got around to picking up God of War Ragnarok. Which has been excellent so far.

And still puttering around with Gran Turismo every now and then for a change of pace.

I tried playing a motogp game recently but the game sucks and feels unintuitive with keyboards. Maybe I need to get a bluetooth controller.

I also try to play world of warcraft but its so weird not being able to enjoy the game of my youth, it feels like a job every time I try to play. Needing to do research and constantly look things up.

I tried playing a motogp game recently but the game sucks and feels unintuitive with keyboards. Maybe I need to get a bluetooth controller.

I also try to play world of warcraft but its so weird not being able to enjoy the game of my youth, it feels like a job every time I try to play. Needing to do research and constantly look things up.
I’ve tried motorcycle games before and have just given up. Garbage with a controller / PC IMO.

Car racing is fantastic with the seat and wheel. I finished GT7 so should put it up for sale before Christmas. Just taking up space now.

I’ve tried motorcycle games before and have just given up. Garbage with a controller / PC IMO.

Car racing is fantastic with the seat and wheel. I finished GT7 so should put it up for sale before Christmas. Just taking up space now.
I tried Ride 4 a while ago and it was... alright? It has Mosport as a track! It still didn't really hold my interest though.

Tourist Trophy back on the PS2 had a pretty good controller scheme. Not perfect, but it felt good at least... the best use of the pressure sensitive buttons I ever personally encountered. Modern consoles understandably dropped pressure sensitive buttons as barely anything ever used them.

There's no good way to translate the physical inputs of riding a motorcycle into gaming controllers, unlike cars where turning a wheel and pressing pedals can be replicated. I've played the MotoGP and Ride series on and off, and they can be fun with some practice to get used to the slow turn-in, but they'll never be anything like controlling a real bike. One key to the MotoGP series is to use the rear brake a lot on corner entry and beyond, which is apparently true for real MotoGP bikes as well. I remember reading an article by Mat Oxley ages ago where he said some tracks required the rear brake to be applied for up to 70% of the lap to stop wheelies and make them turn.

Can't wait for this.

Looks fantastic, but I really hope they figure out some better mission structures than the formulaic "Go to location X, trigger cutscene, go to location Y, shoot all the targets in the shooting gallery, go to location Z, end mission." Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, with fantastic emergent gameplay and engaging world outside the main story, but the story missions are so repetitive and restrictive it feels like you're on rails.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, with fantastic emergent gameplay and engaging world outside the main story, but the story missions are so repetitive and restrictive it feels like you're on rails.
Great game. The legendary animals/fish surprised me how much I wanted to get them.

Great game. The legendary animals/fish surprised me how much I wanted to get them.

Exactly, a solid hunting and fishing game just seamlessly folded into the larger world. I also loved all the random crap that would happen as you explored (even if they did occasionally repeat as you got later in the game). And I loved the main story, even if I didn't love the missions. I get why they kept you on rails, as it makes sure the story is roughly the same for everyone, but playing games like Baldur's Gate III shows you can offer players near infinite ways to achieve objectives and still tell a great story. I often enjoyed the exposition and conversations that happened to and from the missions more than the missions themselves. It speaks to the incredible quality of the rest of game, though, that it's still one of my top 5 all-time.

Back
Top Bottom