We had the talk....... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We had the talk.......

I'll preface this by saying I'm not trying to come off as an *******, and my apologies if it comes off that way...

Don't come here looking for us to justify, or validate your reason to buy/not buy a new bike.

It seems like you want to go back to your wife and family to say "well a bunch of random strangers on the internet say it's cool for me to get a bike".

It's a decision completely your own.

The fact that you are having reservations and feelings of future guilt and selfishness should tell you all you need to know.

You sound like a young guy.
There's plenty of time to get back into riding later on in life.

If you just can't shake that itch then get a dirt bike, a track bike, a trials bike.

Good luck on your decision.

Reactions: AGS
Brother. This 911 shocked the hell out of me.

I love bikes. But the odd time it's raining or I have to pick up one of my children.

This 911 was freaking amazing.
My Boxster is fun and all, but this thing!!!!!!!???????????????

It seems like you want to go back to your wife and family to say "well a bunch of random strangers on the internet say it's cool for me to get a bike".

I didn't see it that way.

It came across like he just needed some support from like-minded individuals, after so much negativity at home.

Just like any special-interest forum you find on the Internet. For example, at the Ford F-150 forum:

"Some guy in a RAM just told me my F150 was a POS!"
"RAM SUCKS!"
"Yeah, all RAM owners suck dong!"
"Did you get his license plate #? My brother's a cop, he can find out his address. We can go over there and burn his truck to the ground!"
"Yeah, and torch his house and kill his dog as well!"
"YEAH, KILL ALL IMMIGRANTS!!!"

you know, stuff like that.

You want to hear selfish! I had a buddy who was married and had 3 kids, he bought a Fiero for the family car :|

@Trials
How do you know my Dad?
He had 2 kids and bought a Fiero.
Seriously.

He also rode/rides trials.

Rob

Don't let fear and guilt take over your life and decisions. My dad had a bike throughout our childhood and had multiple accidents, not a single person ever told him to stop, because he wouldn't. Motorcycle's don't equal death, plenty pass away from poor lifestyle choices, car accidents, heart attacks etc... Last year I had a co-worker pass away at 32, from something so minor a blood thinner would have saved him, we had the motorcycle chat a week earlier and he told me it's too risky. 3 weeks back a 62yr old caprenter at work had a heart attack and is in hospital, the day before I met him and he told me how 30 years ago a buddy and him rode their bikes from Newfoundland to Mexico for 3 months and it was the time of his life, he had a huge smile and still rides.

Just look at guys in Motorsports who do it for a living and have family/kids. In some cases it isn't even the bikes or sport that gets them like Nicky Hayden or Schumi,

That said, there's nothing wrong with putting your interests first, Buddha said you have no right to help anyone, if you can't help yourself first. Don't become a victim of fear, the only certainty is we will all pass, how, where, and when is a chance and life is a walk from the maternity ward to the crematorium, make the most. If your family is the most, enjoy with them.

That or just go Vegan, family and friends are too busy telling me i'll die from protein deficiency rather than motorcycles ?

Last edited:
she said, I know how much it means to you, I know how much you love to ride, I'm just worried it's not the same anymore... But if you want to get back into it, I wont stop you BUT please something reasonable nothing over 600cc NO SPORT BIKES, NO HIGHWAYS NO RIDING LONGER THAN 1 HOUR etc......

that was all fine and dandy but one thing still lingers inside me, just what her friend said that made me think... Selfish and guilty. walking up this morning I felt so guilty because maybe going to the dealership tomorrow and buying another bike is gonna give my wife such anxiety and fear.

at least I know where I stand.

A partner forcing another to feel selfish and guilty is a good way to deteriorate a relationship. And having this crap is in your head while riding is not conducive to being a safe confident rider.
Someone obviously ignorant of the riding environment should not be setting your boundries. A well ridden litre bike is safer than a nervous nellie on a 450 cc.
The trolls suggesting sports cars should hang out in cager forums.

Motorcycling is always there, I took a long holiday (15 years) from it when we started our family and came back with much more passionate for it on my return 2005

Your children are very young now but the years from about 4 to 14 will be very busy and enjoyable time for you.

I know plenty of roadracers who either won't ride on the road, or keep it to a minimum, because they view riding on the road as being too dangerous compared to the controlled environment that they are used to. Same for dirt riders. Pick your environment.

I do still ride on the road, but I pick my battles. I avoid city traffic, and for long trips where I want a motorcycle with me, it's in the van.

One other thing; teaching your kids to ride is a great thing to do. Practically all of the great riders, started riding when they were 3 years old. (I wasn't that fortunate.)

Man how were you tryin to replace motorcycling with golfing/cycling? You'll need atleast a high hp car preferably with awd so it ain't struggling to find traction everytime you stomp on it :LOL:

If anyone gave me the "how dare you" tone in my own home he'd be gone in sixty seconds. OP, you're obviously a nicer person than me, but I kinda feel for you... Having to have "a talk" about getting a motorcycle and having to defend your position to guests in your own home? Yikes.

I can't remember the last time I even considered dating a woman who didn't like my motorcycles...

G-and-Adrian-Kiss.jpg

my wife is cool with me getting another bike... shes cool with it, but I feel like a sack of **** inside becasue I'm.gonna worry her sick. that's not fair for her and the kiddies
you know what I mean.

my wife is cool with me getting another bike... shes cool with it, but I feel like a sack of **** inside becasue I'm.gonna worry her sick. that's not fair for her and the kiddies
you know what I mean.
I think a worried wife with little kids is a very logical reaction. How you deal with it, and how you alleviate those worries all depends on the man you are.

Some (like you and I) will say 'Ok, this is stressing her out, and maybe I should stop riding for a while and possibly return once the kids get older.'

Others, like some in this thread, will say 'I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, and the let the chips fall where they may.'

There's no right or wrong answer in this one as it's a super personal decision. Some people actually consider the feelings of their loved ones and adjust their lifestyle accordingly, some DGAF about anyone or anything besides themselves and what makes them happy. Both are fine. Hell I wish I had a bit more of the latter in me, but it's not who I am.

I think a worried wife with little kids is a very logical reaction. How you deal with it, and how you alleviate those worries all depends on the man you are.

Some (like you and I) will say 'Ok, this is stressing her out, and maybe I should stop riding for a while and possibly return once the kids get older.'

Others, like some in this thread, will say 'I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, and the let the chips fall where they may.'

There's no right or wrong answer in this one as it's a super personal decision. Some people actually consider the feelings of their loved ones and adjust their lifestyle accordingly, some DGAF about anyone or anything besides themselves and what makes them happy. Both are fine. Hell I wish I had a bit more of the latter in me, but it's not who I am.

Exactly! different folks different strokes.... I mean for me the fact that I was able to enjoy riding for all these years is a miracle. i rode tens of thousands of kms I'm happy. maybe one day we could get back on the saddle. But, as for now I don't think my wife would be able to cope God forbid the unthinkable were to happen.

but hey maybe once the kids are older and they're at an age where they dont need to rely on me any longer in that respect then maybe I'll consider it.

Exactly! different folks different strokes.... I mean for me the fact that I was able to enjoy riding for all these years is a miracle. i rode tens of thousands of kms I'm happy. maybe one day we could get back on the saddle. But, as for now I don't think my wife would be able to cope God forbid the unthinkable were to happen.

but hey maybe once the kids are older and they're at an age where they dont need to rely on me any longer in that respect then maybe I'll consider it.
There's always different ways to get your kicks. Personally I'm looking at the car option right now, because that's the most logical thing for me at this point in time. Could work, could not...I need a car anyway, may as well make it a fun one (even if it's got zero practicality).

Ultimatums suck, and statistically you are exponentially more likely to see a divorce than you will a fatal bike crash. Every problem has gobs of solutions; own bike and use for recreational, country rides in prime conditions. Don't ride like a knob. Very palatable, considerate concessions to make for a family. I did quit racing before my little guy came along, but even in the midst of a divorce with a 7-year old autistic son, I took him for rides on my KLR with Mom's blessing. It can be done

Last edited:
What about the parental responsibility to introduce your kids to safe riding of motorcycles! ? If you don't do that, they might end up learning about motorcycles from that crazy kid down the street!

My dad gave me and my bro a 73 Honda mini trail when we were under 10 years old. I crashed that thing so many times I cant even count. Great parenting (y)

..it was honestly awesome though. We painted it green and stuck no fear stickers on the side of it

Before broaching the subject again, you might want to do some reading on the subject of Paranoia.

It is your decision in the end and no one can make it for you.

If I was in your shoes (which I sort of am and mentioned eariler posts)
I would get back onto it at a small scale to test it out.
Get an inexpensive used bike that is easy on insurance. Tryt it out for a year, see how guilty you really feel, is your wife as OK with it as she said she would.
If it doesn't work, your wont have much to loose. Your can eithe resell the bike or just keep it for the right time.

I picked up an FZ6 for a good price.
I know that if it doesnt work out they way I had planned, I will either sell it or keep it for a later time.
I did not think about the dirt bike rout prior to getting the FZ6 but it might be something I may consider if street riding is not working out.

I really wish I didn't live it in the city and somewhere where riding a dirty bike is much easier and trail more accessible.

No matter how long this thread gets, and how many of us chime in. YOU are the only one that can make that call.
There will always be guys here telling you not to do it right now, and just as many telling you that you have every right to pursue what you really love.
However, as we can't be out on our bikes right now due to the season we will probabaly drag this thread on forever. (what is the longest thread on here anyways???)

Good luck with making your choice.

Back
Top Bottom