Votes: 11 7.9%
  • not booking it yet but I might get it eventually

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • not going to get vaccinated

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The US border is a bit of a dilemma. It looks like the Canadian government is co-operating with the EU concerning the EU's "digital green certificate", and it's pretty likely that many other countries will join that, too - but it doesn't look like the USA will be one of them. What happens when a resident of the USA wants to travel to Europe? Or go on a cruise? Some of the cruise line companies have been talking about wanting proof of vaccination. The IATA (International Air Travel Association) has been talking about doing their own. I sure hope the IATA co-operates with the EU, and at least makes the two systems talk to each other, if not simply accept the EU's documentation as-is. (I really hope it ends up with ONE system accepted worldwide ... be it the EU's system or something else ... but, ONE system worldwide.)

As far as JT stating the border not re-opening until Canada is 75% vaccinated (whatever that means), this may be a negotiating tactic to gently prod the USA into doing something better than an easily-forged piece of paper as proof of vaccination. It may morph into "We'll open the border to Americans who can demonstrate proof of vaccination or test results showing that they are not infected" ... like that digital green certificate ...

As for various US Republican state governments "banning vaccine passports" ... that's only going to work internally. It won't help when you arrive at the Lufthansa gate in O'Hare Airport and the gate officer asks for your covid19 documentation before boarding. If you get past that - It won't help when you arrive at passport control in Munich and EU border control asks for your documentation. Where that gets really interesting is when the US resident needs to prove their vaccination status using information obtained from said US Republican state government ... "Oh, we don't keep track of that. You're on your own." Passport control in Germany ... "How nice. Back you go. Not our problem that your government is incompetent."

As for various US Republican state governments "banning vaccine passports" ... that's only going to work internally. It won't help when you arrive at the Lufthansa gate in O'Hare Airport and the gate officer asks for your covid19 documentation before boarding. If you get past that - It won't help when you arrive at passport control in Munich and EU border control asks for your documentation. Where that gets really interesting is when the US resident needs to prove their vaccination status using information obtained from said US Republican state government ... "Oh, we don't keep track of that. You're on your own." Passport control in Germany ... "How nice. Back you go. Not our problem that your government is incompetent."
I'm imagining some future incidents like this one from the Heritage Minute about Sam Steele of the Northwest Mounted Police.

Wife just got Pfizered in North Mississauga. Easy peasy. 20min in and out. She said it was super smooth with no issues. Tons of people helping, guiding and cleaning.
Can we party yet as the whole family has been jabbed now?

Is it bad to say that the majority of Americans that won’t get vaccinated are probably the same that won’t be leaving the US anyway for a vacation?

My cousins were steadfast that they’re not getting vaccinated....until the EU said proof of vaccines are required. Magically everyone is on the vaccine express.

I also think a lot of these loud anti vax people are already vaccinated they just don’t want to admit it.

From what it appears, anti-mask = anti-vaccination = MAGA = not international travellers ... for the most part.

The US vaccination effort has come close to stalling ... COVID Data Tracker (check the "people receiving dose 1" box) ... but I would expect that various factors like needing vaccination for international travel, or merely having their eyes opened by a close friend or relative getting very sick, will slowly plug away at the numbers. I'm not sure what bumped up the vaccination numbers for 13 - 14 May 2021 possibly breaking the down-trend ... but whatever the reason, that's a good thing.

And I would say it's highly likely that quite a few of the "I'll never get that vaccine" loudmouths, are actually vaccinated. (*cough* Tucker Carlson)

From what it appears, anti-mask = anti-vaccination = MAGA = not international travellers ... for the most part.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Is pretty left wing, and makes up a whole lot of the anti-vaxxer information online.

Framing these opinions the way you did is just partisan babble. An us verses them that is far too common in American politics and is spreading across the border.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Is pretty left wing, and makes up a whole lot of the anti-vaxxer information online.

Framing these opinions the way you did is just partisan babble. An us verses them that is far too common in American politics and is spreading across the border.
Do you have information to dispute that observation? Among my us acquaintances there is a strong correlation between supporting trump and not wanting covid vaccine. There will always be outliers on either side but in general my observations correlate with Brian's.

Thinking about the reluctance to get the vaccine, at what percentage will Canada's uptake flatline at? I'm thinking around 60-65%

Israel has had the biggest head start but is basically flat since reaching 60% with one dose

US and UK both have slowed significantly since reaching about the 45% point

I scientifically picked this one by being the first one that popped up in a search - and there are MANY others - and ALL that I have seen, say more or less the same thing. But, this one can do the talking. Vaccine hesitancy has a clear relation to politics

Thinking about the reluctance to get the vaccine, at what percentage will Canada's uptake flatline at? I'm thinking around 60-65%

Israel has had the biggest head start but is basically flat since reaching 60% with one dose

US and UK both have slowed significantly since reaching about the 45% point

Have a look at this: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...-vaccine-uptake-ontario-epi-summary.pdf?la=en

I will say this. Our governments - all of them - have done a good job at keeping us informed.

That document is updated once per week and it's a few days behind even when updated - so what's on there is (at the moment) 10-day-old information, and the vaccination status is changing fast.

Be that as it may - take a look at Figure 3. For folks over 70 years old, vaccine coverage is around 84%. The 60-69 group is getting close and the trajectory is still pretty decently upward. The younger age groups have a ways to go, but the trajectory is sure there.

We may get to 80% of people over 18, and some decent percentage of teenagers now that they've also been approved. If we get 80% coverage of 80% of the population, and two or three more percent to the total for the teenagers, it's heading towards mid to high sixties percent coverage of the population. (Israel hasn't started vaccinating teenagers, so their 63% is quite consistent with that.)

Have to hand it to John Tory for rocking proper Covid hair

1621381657162.png

Great job proving my point. Other countries are not going to care what Florida's policy is on vaccine passports.
I think many large countries will shy away from these vaccine passports . At the beginning they might try. But in most western countries . The courts will throw these passport laws out .

I can't wait to see how dozen of ships that pick people up in Florida get told no vaccine passports allowed . Let's see how they do .

I think many large countries will shy away from these vaccine passports . At the beginning they might try. But in most western countries . The courts will throw these passport laws out .

I can't wait to see how dozen of ships that pick people up in Florida get told no vaccine passports allowed . Let's see how they do .
That's simple. If Florida wants to actively oppose regulations cruise lines think they need to impose to operate safely they will just use cruise ports outside of Florida. That revenue leaving will make florida care.

... And which "many large countries" would you suggest, aside from the USA (known political hot-potato issue) and possibly Mexico (too many business interests) and Brazil (politics)?

I can think of some countries that may reject the EU's digital green certificate because it isn't tough enough - particularly if the EU accepts proof of vaccination without the ability to independently validate it - which is what may happen for some Americans who want to travel.

Requiring proof of vaccination for certain international destinations isn't new. The yellow-fever one has been around for decades.

What makes you think courts will throw this out? Countries are free to set the criteria for visitors. The EU's digital green certificate makes a lot of sense. It allows an alternate path for people who haven't been vaccinated for whatever reason.

Cruise ships that pick people up in Florida and are travelling to international destinations, have to abide by the entry requirements of the countries that they are visiting. If the country that they are visiting requires proof of vaccination ... the ship will have to abide by that. It's not up to the state of Florida to decide that. If the state of Florida doesn't co-operate with the issuance of proof of vaccinations (which is a distinct possibility) ... a whole bunch of people in Florida aren't going to be happy with the Florida state government. Again ... to the passport control officer in Munich Germany ... "Not my problem. No paperwork ... no entry." The end.

I think the USA is going to be dragged into co-operating with this. People who want to travel, will demand it. I want Canada to participate.

I scientifically picked this one by being the first one that popped up in a search - and there are MANY others - and ALL that I have seen, say more or less the same thing. But, this one can do the talking. Vaccine hesitancy has a clear relation to politics

If you look at a US map for average income by state, GDP per capita, HDI index, they all are more or less similar to the vaccine roll out.

Social economic status breeds political affiliations in most countries, that's a given. However, when you have a population that needs to work to survive, due to lack of their own means and lack of social nets. You'll end up with anti-maskers who "need to work", and the feeling their financial ability is being stripped from them by "experts" will make them unwilling to trust them.

We went and got all political in the covid thread again. :(

With all the disinformation being spread, I believe there will be people wearing single & double layer homemade masks, well into the future, thinking that they're protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom