TTC Accident; settlement? | GTAMotorcycle.com

TTC Accident; settlement?

wearelopey

Hey everyone,

So last Thursday my aunt was on a TTC bus that crashed into a median coming out of St. Clair West station (Vaughan Rd. bus).

She told me she was thrown from her seat and is bruised on her side pretty bad. She also just had eye surgery (within a week of incident) and its is red (more than normal) around her eye now. She has to replace her bag as well as it got stained with another passengers blood...

She told me that the bus personnel helped no one (a janitor came and helped eventually), and that everyone was just told to go home. My aunt had to go to the turnstile booth where she was given a phone number and sent on her way.

according to news 16 people ended up being taken to the hospital for various injuries (none severe).

She called the number, and after a little hassle was called back and is now having a meeting with them this coming week.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or advice. Never really encountered something like this personally...

Link to (tiny) article on news: http://www.citynews.ca/2013/09/12/more-than-a-dozen-hurt-in-ttc-bus-crash-on-st-clair/

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

So last Thursday my aunt was on a TTC bus that crashed into a median coming out of St. Clair West station (Vaughan Rd. bus).

She told me she was thrown from her seat and is bruised on her side pretty bad. She also just had eye surgery (within a week of incident) and its is red (more than normal) around her eye now. She has to replace her bag as well as it got stained with another passengers blood...

She told me that the bus personnel helped no one (a janitor came and helped eventually), and that everyone was just told to go home. My aunt had to go to the turnstile booth where she was given a phone number and sent on her way.

according to news 16 people ended up being taken to the hospital for various injuries (none severe).

She called the number, and after a little hassle was called back and is now having a meeting with them this coming week.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or advice. Never really encountered something like this personally...

Link to (tiny) article on news: http://www.citynews.ca/2013/09/12/more-than-a-dozen-hurt-in-ttc-bus-crash-on-st-clair/

Thanks in advance!

Seriously?

Don't let he meet with anyone from TTC without a lawyer, she will be gives a stupid settlement if any, she can get a lot more from them with a lawyer.

She is not SOL, TTC is depending if she gets a good lawyer or not.

The TTC has deeper pockets and better lawyers.

They would rather settle, (especially if it's 4 figures) and there is credible case for a lawsuit...

OP.. After re-reading this, your aunt is being ridiculous. Her eye is more red and was bruised a bit?
This isnt the lottery. Tell her to say a prayer that she wasn't more badly hurt and stfu.

Just call Saul!

LoL I love the lawsuit happy society we're becoming. I don't know the situation but I don't think she'd be entitled to much. Unless she can show that some symptom (more red than normal doesn't count) were a direct cause of the accident then it'll be a tough fight. I'm sure TTC would rather settle to not deal with it but good luck.

As Dresden says....be happy she didn't get seriously injured and move on.

My buddy's aunt fell when she got off a TTC streetcar once because there was slush on the sidewalk. She tried to sue and get a cash settlement.....she got zilch and had to pay lawyer fees for attempting a frivolous lawsuit. This was back when I was in high school so maybe judges are more lenient now.

EDIT: your aunt may get a new purse, equal $ value, or a payment for cleaning it.

What is the reason that caused the accident?

Last edited:
I say go see one of those no win no pay lawyers and roll the dice, if they take the case you are pretty much guaranteed something or the lawyer wouldn't take the case cause all the costs are his.

Thanks everyone.

Don't know too many details. Read up online and doesn't seem like TTC pays out too much. I agree maybe they will pay for the bag etc

Will take into consideration the "she should be glad she wasn't hurt more" advice lol smart guys thanks.

Whoever told me to tell my aunt to 'stfu' is just not a nice person. Coal in your stocking. She is my aunt.

Shes not really expecting anything, just felt I'd let my good ole interweb pals chime in just in case I missed some course of action that was obvious. The biggest issue she has is that no one helped during the emergency... There were people lying on the ground bleeding and no one helped them... They were also told to simply go home... No medical care provided at time of incident (don't know how others got to hospital etc), no refund of bus fare, no apology or explanation. Bus driver said 'it was the light' that made him hit the median... No one understood what that mean't or what lights there were around that area. Confusing to say the least...

A plane crashes, people thrown from their seats, doors open and pilot says get out. Passengers told to go home. Apples and oranges I know but still. Suck it up and be thankful that you weren't injured worse? Really?

Im sure half of why I posted is simple venting. Kinda alarmed that this happened to her.

Again, appreciate it!

Last edited:
She may suffer from the effects years down the road. I'd get checked out thoroughly and then grab a lawyer. She's not being unreasonable in potentially seeking something from the TTC.

I know someone who used to work security for the TTC and was told if the claim was reasonable and well presented they signed a lot of small cheques for a grand or two for trip fall accidents.

A lot will depend on what initiated the crash.

IIRC TTC doesn't carry typical insurance, they have a TTC insurance fund that they pay into and draw out of as required. The bus crash last year by the 404 that killed a lady was predicted to put a severe hurting on the fund.

Thanks everyone.

Don't know too many details. Read up online and doesn't seem like TTC pays out too much. I agree maybe they will pay for the bag etc

Will take into consideration the "she should be glad she wasn't hurt more" advice lol smart guys thanks.

Whoever told me to tell my aunt to 'stfu' is just not a nice person. Coal in your stocking. She is my aunt.

Shes not really expecting anything, just felt I'd let my good ole interweb pals chime in just in case I missed some course of action that was obvious. The biggest issue she has is that no one helped during the emergency... There were people lying on the ground bleeding and no one helped them... They were also told to simply go home... No medical care provided at time of incident (don't know how others got to hospital etc), no refund of bus fare, no apology or explanation. Bus driver said 'it was the light' that made him hit the median... No one understood what that mean't or what lights there were around that area. Confusing to say the least...

A plane crashes, people thrown from their seats, doors open and pilot says get out. Passengers told to go home. Apples and oranges I know but still. Suck it up and be thankful that you weren't injured worse? Really?

Im sure half of why I posted is simple venting. Kinda alarmed that this happened to her.

Again, appreciate it!

Actually thats exactly what happens. My family knows someone who was involved in the Air France crash a few years ago at Pearson. She slid down the inflatable walkway got into a van and was taken to the terminal where Transport Canada took her info and her friends drove her home. Yup that's it plane crashes and your home in an hour or two.

I'm with the suck it up and move on camp. Society feels way to entitled these days.

Actually thats exactly what happens. My family knows someone who was involved in the Air France crash a few years ago at Pearson. She slid down the inflatable walkway got into a van and was taken to the terminal where Transport Canada took her info and her friends drove her home. Yup that's it plane crashes and your home in an hour or two.

I'm with the suck it up and move on camp. Society feels way to entitled these days.

What did you expect? A medal? Tv interview? Call from oprah?

If you're good you go home and be thankful. If you're hurt they take you to a hospital.

find the reciept for the purse. ask for that amount. take it, leave the purse with them. thank whoever tjat it wasnt more serious

Back
Top Bottom