Travel Insurance for the States | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Travel Insurance for the States

...my bank - CIBC
offered identical coverage to CAA
but was half the price even with my Plus membership discount
and went for that even though my CC does have a medical emerg rider
and I have coverage through the group work plan as well

So you have three separate out of province medical insurance plans?

via Tapatalk

Here is the scoop from CIBC Visa card benefits

CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card
What is covered Excess Insurance†

Out-Of- Province Emergency Travel Medical
You, your spouse and your dependent children
are automatically insured for eligible emergency medical and dental expenses for up to $5 million per insured person whenever you leave the country or your province of residence for the first 15 days of a trip if the covered person is age 64 or under – you don’t even have to charge your trip to the card.
The cardholder must call Global Excel Management Inc. prior to receiving treatment otherwise your claim may not be covered. A pre-existing exclusion applies to medical conditions and/or symptoms that existed prior to your trip. Refer to your Insurance Certificate for details.

So you have three separate out of province medical insurance plans?

via Tapatalk

sounds excessive, but yes
2 I have anyway - work plan and CC rider
for just the States that's plenty
but I get to some developing countries occasionally
and want to be certain I'm well covered
malaria and some other stuff can take you out quickly
while the office staff are farting around to see if you're covered

The bill to get my nephew home from asia when he had a stroke at age 26 was a little over $100k. That was just transportion , on top of the 4weeks in a Singapore hospital. Dont travel without insurance.

in addition to insurance I use a travel doctor based in Burlington, I tell him where I'm going and he tells me what shots I should have . Yellow fever, Dengay fever, malaria shots, altitude meds, travellers butt, hep A,B,C he has it all in stock. I'd rather pay $2-300 up front than risk weeks in a jungle clinic.

Also, you should be careful if you ride South in a group. In many states a Group, no matter how it's organized, can be held responsible for damage and liability on behalf of and to any of the riding group individuals.

For instance, 4 friends riding, one crashes and incurs $250K in US medical bills that he cannot pay. In many states the harmed person can force the group to share liability, meaning your insurer -- or you -- may need to cough up just because you are part of the group.

Visa Black is actually Mastercard now.
Um... No.

VISA does not have "black card" per se. It's common for card issuers generally color the "Visa Infinite Privilege" card black as a way to distinguish the card from others -- the name 'black card' is not the official name of the card. Black is the usual color for VISA VIP and Amex |Centurion cards, both are targeted at high spend and or high income clients.

A US based marketing company called "Luxury Card" rebrands credit cards, they name their premium card the "BLACK CARD". They are a bit player in the credit card business, they recently lost their VISA deal and now rebrand Mastercards. Luxury Card leverages the fact you cannot trademark something as simple as BLACK CARD, so they renamed their rebranded MasterCard to leverage the cache of VISA and American Express's black coloured credit cards.

Um... No.

Um... Yes.

There's a distinction between Visa Black (capitalized) and "black cards":

A “black card” usually refers to a premium credit card, such as the American Express Centurion Card or the Mastercard Black Card issued by Barclays.

When you capitalize it, you are referring to the branded Visa Black:

The Visa Black Card was issued by Barclays until they re-branded the Visa Black Card as the Mastercard Black Card and made it a part of the “Luxury Card” brand in 2016.

Um... Yes.

There's a distinction between Visa Black (capitalized) and "black cards":

[/URL]

When you capitalize it, you are referring to the branded Visa Black:
The article you quoted is almost correct.

In the credit card biz, a 'Black Card' is the generic term for VISA VIP and American Express Centurion -neither brand their cards are black cards, , they come with big income and/or spend requirements. Many premium level merchants routinely provide valuable unadvertised perks to AMEX and VISA black card holders. Present one at an upscale hotel checkin, good chance your room gets upgraded for free. Flash it at a restaurant that needs reservations, voila - magic!

Neither VISA or Amex ever branded their card 'BLACK CARD'. Mastercard World Elite cards, (like the Luxury Card Black Card and Canadian Tire Triangle card) are often colored black however they compete a level down against VISA Infinite and Amex Platinum.

As I mentioned before, card rebrander, Luxury Card took a Barclay's VISA VIP card and called it the Luxury Card Black Card -- nothing to do with VISA. When Luxury Card switched to Mastercard, the kept slapped the BLACK CARD name on a Mastercard World Elite card.

At the end of the day you enjoy 'black card' perks and privileges if you carry an AMEX Centurion card or a VISA Infinite Privilege card. You don't get these benefits with a Mastercard, even if you paint or call it black.

If anyone every stumbles across some insurance that would cover you while you ride motocross hit me up. I’d love to get some riding in once a month down south over the winter but I’m terrified of getting busted up bad 16 hours from home with no coverage.

The same question, but I am looking for a travel insurance to Singapore..

Did some research before heading to SE Asia, World Nomads seemed to be the clear favourite. Unfortunately, I had to use it, they came through hassle free.

buddy had Blue Cross when went to the States for a week.
Insurance through your work
Insurance through your Credit Card
Insurance through your Bank
Insurance through you Motorcycle Insurance
Might be a good idea to get more than one insurance to cover (it might not be enough/certain condition applies ie. pay upfront, helicopter ride etc))
You hear stories about how Americans go bankrupt or deeply in debt due to medical/hospital cost.

Bump!
What do people do for the coverage for medical evacuation - i.e. some type of medi vac coverage to get them back to Ontario instead of languishing in a deliverance hospital. Or maybe you need to get off the side of a mountain?

I already have great coverage through work and also through my Visa infinite card, but thought I read that some purchase this extra coverage.

Any thoughts?

Bump!
What do people do for the coverage for medical evacuation - i.e. some type of medi vac coverage to get them back to Ontario instead of languishing in a deliverance hospital. Or maybe you need to get off the side of a mountain?

I already have great coverage through work and also through my Visa infinite card, but thought I read that some purchase this extra coverage.

Any thoughts?
I'd check if those requirements are covered by the Work / Visa insurance.

If not...you already have the other 2 so a third one is the only one you're paying for, which makes for an easy decision.

Bump!

Any thoughts?

A woman from Quebec went polar bear viewing in Churchill Manitoba, got mauled and air lifted to Winnipeg. Universal healthcare took care of the treatment but not the $13,000 medivac flight. She complained to the PQ government who told her she should have looked at PQ polar bears or purchased travel insurance.

A friend of friend thing but he got very ill in backwoods Mexico and had to be airlifted out. The local hospital used every excuse in the book to not release him even though they could barely keep him alive. They liked the income. He survived because he had some medical contacts that were able to arrange a flight with a doctor on board. I don't know who picked up the tab.

Google indicated $30 K to $ 70 K

A smart travel insurance company will pay for a evacuation flight instead of paying through the nose for extended care. Once you're on home turf OHIP kicks in. Of course if you die the travel insurance company passes the liability onto a life insurance company. "Sorry, not my department"

I'd check if those requirements are covered by the Work / Visa insurance.

If not...you already have the other 2 so a third one is the only one you're paying for, which makes for an easy decision.
I've always had problems getting a straight answer from an adjuster as every case is unique and they don't comment on hypothetical situations. Reading the policy doesn't always help because their definition may not be what you would typically understand it to be.

Back
Top Bottom