Trailers, Campers and RVs… | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailers, Campers and RVs…

Still in the middle it is pretty straight forward I will update after it is here. I am having a small issue with it being a 23 model and the year being 22 now apparently the government has trouble with things from the future. If it was a 22 it would be here already.

Sent from the future
Well I had to change to a 22 model as transport Canada won't have things straightened out till spring with Winnebago good news is I saved another 20g by going to a 22 and it is a very late 22 so it has all the features I was buying a 23 to get.

Sent from the future

@Scuba Steve if you don't mind, would you be willing to share the dealership's name and address?...I'd be interested in checking out their website...

Also, did you go see the unit in person or did someone else take the picture for you? (I'm assuming you went, however don't want to make an you know what out of myself) :)

@Scuba Steve if you don't mind, would you be willing to share the dealership's name and address?...I'd be interested in checking out their website...

Also, did you go see the unit in person or did someone else take the picture for you? (I'm assuming you went, however don't want to make an you know what out of myself) :)
Just pictures online brand new unit what could go wrong? :) La Mesa RV in New Mexico I am flying down to pick it up and drive it back in a few weeks should be interesting. We were very close to buying a Revel but that diesel Mercedes scares me so we got a Solis 59P (I almost got the PX but don't like the generator hanging underneath.

Sorry all, been out riding my ass off and not been online much.

Was talking with my wife afterward and we were wondering maybe it’s not such a stupid idea to look into a small camper, RV, or pop up that we could get to do such trips as for a trip like that, with 2 adults and 3 kids we are 100% gonna be more than 10k.

We went to the west coast in 2008 (the last time the prices of fuel spiked big, for those who remember) on this exact premise...and we ended up proving it quite true...albeit fuel prices (at least diesel) were a little cheaper that summer, around $1.60/L IIRC. But despite this summers prices, gas prices have moderated again and are likely to stay that way for some time.
Our truck pulling our (at the time) 30' Fifth wheel got around 25L/100KM towing. We spent around $4000 in diesel travelling all the way across Canada on the TC and back through the USA via Yellowstone etc etc and across I90.
Living expenses including food and all the entertainment and extras was about $3K.

So, total was 7K for around 35 days on the road and 11,000km travelled.
1663278015055.png

So, over 35 days on the road and all the places we saw, things we did, campground fees (we also boondocked a lot in the boring areas where we were making big miles every day), meals we ate, etc etc...that was $200 per day total averaged out.

Could we have travelled across the country and back for $200/day including hotels and 3 meals a day for 4 people? Not a hope in hell. We'd have spent $100/day (likely more in many places) in food alone and there's no way we'd have *averaged* $100/night for hotels/motels, even assuming cheap motels for $79/night in the boonies, but the $400/night places like Banff, Vancouver, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park, etc etc would have skyrocketed that bell curve. And we spent 3 days in banff, 4 days in vancouver, 4 days in Yellowstone, etc etc.
So yes, there is a strong argument to be made that you can save money with 4 people. With 2 people the math might be different, but the experience is still hella fun IMHO vs boring hotels and eating out constantly.

It's why we still absolutely favour travelling with our camper to this day versus just road tripping and hotels. Heck, I think we did our entire trip to Boston/CapeCod/Marthas Vinyard for about $750 this past summer for a week....zero chance we'd have been able to do that for that price any other way - heck, the hotels alone in all those places would have probably run us $1500 by the time we were all done - they're all tourist traps with prices accordingly.

Pop up is the way to go in terms of sleeping quarters and towing with a minivan

Popups are HEAVY. Yes, they have an aerodynamic edge, but many people are suprrised to find that they weigh more than a comperably sized traditional trailer. And if you're travelling and want to stop on the roadside somewhere for a meal (or an emergncy pee break as was the case of my photo above LOL), you have to crank the thing up, pull it out, etc etc etc. On a travel trailer..you just open the door and walk in.

And as others have said, if you pack them away wet, you have to dry them out. And there are a lot of areas particularly out west where you're not allowed to camp in soft-sided campers due to grizzly bear risks.

Fellow on my dog walk route just took delivery of an F350 4dr long box pickup with a new 10ft slide in camper . It’s a beaut, i priced it out when I got home , he’s about $160k in it as near as I can figure .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest... An ex family member (ex-wife's uncle) retired from HydroOne; bought a mack-daddy F450 and probably the nicest slide-in I've ever seen - he was kissing 200k and this was about 5 years ago.

Hell, with my old setup (F350 diesel & 28' bumper pull) - I was easily 125k rolling down the road... It can get spendy, fast, if you're not careful!

Ouch.

Reality is in 10 years that truck will be worth maybe 50% of its original value (and depreciating rapidly), and the camper will be worth maybe 25% of original if he’s lucky - RV’s are notorious depreciation pits.

I could never justify losing that sort of insane money on depreciating assets. Unless I was stupid wealthy or something I guess. But that’s just a crazy amount or money to effectively throw out the door when it’s all said and done.

But I guess someone’s gotta buy the stuff new so guys like me can buy it 6-8 years later in still excellent condition but at a fraction of the original price as it’s all depreciated to hell lol.

Ouch.

Reality is in 10 years that truck will be worth maybe 50% of its original value (and depreciating rapidly), and the camper will be worth maybe 25% of original if he’s lucky - RV’s are notorious depreciation pits.

Mike was, and probably still is, an immense *******... like he'd be sitting in the living room, and yell at his wife to come from the kitchen and hand him the TV remote; rather then lean over from where he was sitting to grab it, kind of *******. (Seriously, I saw it happen...)

He also had to have the biggest, baddest, most expensive of everything... 'cause ego.

My 350 was 2/3 work, 1/3 play - so the economics of my setup were far different then someone who just used it for play/grocery getting.

My current setup is a 4 year old GMC 1/2t - although I did just buy a new trailer, now that the truck's paid off...

I think tow vehicle / trailer , or truck slide in unit has a better chance of holding value than a purpose built Motor home that gets used for a few weeks a yr . Or not . Anybody thinking any of this stuff is a good idea is dreaming, but that’s not why we do this stuff .
No RV makes sense , it’s not a value proposition like a used airplane or a boat …..

I have no idea class b seem to hold value well for a RV? At the same time a 20000 trailer can only depreciate 20000 max where a 200000 class b loses more than the trailer cost even at 10 percent

Sent from the future

All RV's depreciate like pits. Generic mass-built RV's are the worst. The premium ones like Airstreams hold their value drastically better.

Class B's and C's hold their value marginally better but mileage is a huge factor. Whereas someone wouldn't think much of a pickup truck with 150,000km on it, a pickup truck chassis with a motorhome strapped to it with the same mileage would be considered heavily depreciated and undesirable in the eyes of many RV purchasers.

Class A's? Not immune by any stretch. 10 year old coaches routinely lose 50% of their value.

All RV's depreciate like pits. Generic mass-built RV's are the worst. The premium ones like Airstreams hold their value drastically better.

Class B's and C's hold their value marginally better but mileage is a huge factor. Whereas someone wouldn't think much of a pickup truck with 150,000km on it, a pickup truck chassis with a motorhome strapped to it with the same mileage would be considered heavily depreciated and undesirable in the eyes of many RV purchasers.

Class A's? Not immune by any stretch. 10 year old coaches routinely lose 50% of their value.
Overall a airstream or any premium unit depreciates more than the total cost of a cheaper unit in its first year. COVID has messed things up but I think a major correction is coming.

Sent from the future

Airstream isn’t just RVing , it’s a lifestyle . Airstream conventions and exclusive events , acquaintance has one , they don’t go camping they go airstreaming ….. Oy vey LOL

I see the appeal of a rolling condominium, it’s comfy . I don’t see the appeal of parking up in a cow pasture since that’s the only place you fit and locking down the windows while the boomdockers run gennys all night to power two fridges and three AC units . Not my scene , but I can see why some enjoy it

COVID has messed things up but I think a major correction is coming.

Oh, that correction is already well underway. And yes, Covid totally screwed up the RV market. The worst part is seeing people buy small entry level RV's that were $15,000 in 2019 for $25,000 or more in 2020 and 2021. Camping was an easy (and available) thing to do. RV dealers seized the opportunity and massively inflated prices...and people paid them. Now, with the correction underway that $25,000 RV they paid $28K for after taxes is already worth only $12-$15K 1 or 2 years later. And the used market is flooded with panicked sellers who decided or discovered that camping really wasn't their bag, and now they're trying to unload them at 95% of their purchase price without a hope in hell.

People are so incredibly upside down on a lot of these things because they got caught in the panic to buy when stock was short, overpaid (often unknowingly), and went in not understanding that RV's are depreciation nightmares.

I see it in the renters Facebook groups as well where people that weren't even campers themselves rushed out, bought campers to rent, did OK for a year or so but suddenly found the market dried up this summer (with everyone back to normal and travelling elsewhere again now), and they're desperate to sell. But they're also so upside down it's not funny.

Sales are down 60% this year, shares of the RV manufacturers are down 30%...yep, well underway.

Canoes , kayaks , paddle boards , bicycles , gym equipment, anything that provides entertainment during the Covid lockdowns are now hitting Kijiji and when you payed MSrp plus 5% , well good luck .
Big ticket items like campers and such will just be a bigger kick in the wallet .

Oh, that correction is already well underway. And yes, Covid totally screwed up the RV market. The worst part is seeing people buy small entry level RV's that were $15,000 in 2019 for $25,000 or more in 2020 and 2021. Camping was an easy (and available) thing to do. RV dealers seized the opportunity and massively inflated prices...and people paid them. Now, with the correction underway that $25,000 RV they paid $28K for after taxes is already worth only $12-$15K 1 or 2 years later. And the used market is flooded with panicked sellers who decided or discovered that camping really wasn't their bag, and now they're trying to unload them at 95% of their purchase price without a hope in hell.

People are so incredibly upside down on a lot of these things because they got caught in the panic to buy when stock was short, overpaid (often unknowingly), and went in not understanding that RV's are depreciation nightmares.

I see it in the renters Facebook groups as well where people that weren't even campers themselves rushed out, bought campers to rent, did OK for a year or so but suddenly found the market dried up this summer (with everyone back to normal and travelling elsewhere again now), and they're desperate to sell. But they're also so upside down it's not funny.

Sales are down 60% this year, shares of the RV manufacturers are down 30%...yep, well underway.
I actually noticed the rentals dried up this year on our trailer only 2 all summer, not a concern as everything I have is paid off. Best rental summer was pre covid. No intention of renting out the new van. I couldn't find a used unit for less than I paid new on the van. Might hold the trailer and try one more summer of rentals with it. Trailer has been a decent purchase I bought it new in 2007 for 13k and have not had to put anything into it except new tires and rims last year. I also store it inside which makes a big difference.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the dumbest things I've seen in quite a while. $138,000 (USD ?) for an electric off-road vehicle (not street legal) that carries its own propane powered generator for when you get stuck in the woods. The artist (mis)conception picture of it being towed behind a big dumass RV sums it all up. It takes eco-glamping to a whole new absurd level...

I see the appeal of a rolling condominium, it’s comfy

Honestly, quality and longevity, and better resale value and "cachet" aside (they are the Harley's of the trailer world), Airstreams don't appeal to me due to their lack of slides and overall living space. They're like trailers from the 70's and 80's, pretty fixed.

Slides add complexity and such, but wow do they ever expand living space - our 5th wheel had a super slide down the entire drivers side of the trailer that expanded the entire main living area to basically double it's width.

A lot of trailers also offer slides in the bedrooms (so you have space down the sides of the bed instead of a sliver of space to shuffle around in), kitchens, kids living areas, etc.

It makes a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom