Trailers, Campers and RVs… | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailers, Campers and RVs…

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Was talking with my buddy yesterday and they just came back from a 1 week trip to Banff, Jasper, and a few places in between. $9k total price (I assume more than that) for a weeks worth of hotels, meals, rental and the obvious flights.

Was talking with my wife afterward and we were wondering maybe it’s not such a stupid idea to look into a small camper, RV, or pop up that we could get to do such trips as for a trip like that, with 2 adults and 3 kids we are 100% gonna be more than 10k.

I know some as @PrivatePilot and @Scuba Steve are into it, and @Scuba Steve is working on a full reno of an older camper van.

Any thoughts? Recommendations on what’s a minimum size that would work for a family of 5? Let’s even assume 6 if the MIL comes with. We don’t need much as camping is all good. But travelling by such means has a certain allure.

Would ideally be towable by the Odyssey (3500lb limit) as the Volt won’t tow much more than a teardrop trailer that PP has shown us.

Just a thought exercise but these things grow fairly well.

I'm no expert when it comes to towing and such.

But I would think that towing anything decent to fit your needs (family of 5-6) would put a lot of pressure on the Odyssey across the country.

It can tow but I don't think it should be considered as a long term towing vehicle.

What vehicle did your buddy use?

Depending on usage and distances you plan to travel maintenance, storing it, etc it will probably be cheaper to drive the odyssey and stop at reasonably priced hotels/motels... Ontario parks book up in a matter of minutes for the coming summer when they are released in the winter, limiting your places to stop. For a powered site these days can easily run $50-$60 or more per night, plus extra fuel for towing. Nothing is cheap anymore.

It appears I'm out of touch. On the wing I used to budget $150 a day for food, fuel and cheap motel. Let's see. Three Goldwings riding two up.....hmmm.

There's more than just the weight to consider. If the hitch to rear axle distance is too great the trailer pushes the tow vehicle on turns.

Hills are not your friends.

A friend is due back from Cape Hatteras next week, towing his trailer with a Ram 4X4 getting 20L/ 100Kms. Two months camping on the beach instead of a hotel / resort paid for his trailer over the years.

My brother toasted his tranny pulling a fold up. He forgot to use tow mode on his Montana.

The quality of many RV's is poor. Google delamination of sides. It's as common as fleas on dogs.

Storage can be a perpetual problem.

Mice like to use them when you're not.

Six people in a small trailer AKA sauna is cramped.

Camping vs tenting. A friend sees red when camping is mentioned. As a kid her father drove the family from GTA to BC every summer. He was too cheap to pay for a motel so they camped every night. Drive all day and set up camp late, eat sleep and break camp early in the AM. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. That, to me is tenting whether the tent is canvas or hard stuff.

Camping IMO is enjoying the space together by spending time in nice places. Canadian camping prices are stupid expensive compared to the USA.

On the positive side they come in nice colours.

Last edited:
Was talking with my buddy yesterday and they just came back from a 1 week trip to Banff, Jasper, and a few places in between. $9k total price (I assume more than that) for a weeks worth of hotels, meals, rental and the obvious flights.

Was talking with my wife afterward and we were wondering maybe it’s not such a stupid idea to look into a small camper, RV, or pop up that we could get to do such trips as for a trip like that, with 2 adults and 3 kids we are 100% gonna be more than 10k.

I know some as @PrivatePilot and @Scuba Steve are into it, and @Scuba Steve is working on a full reno of an older camper van.

Any thoughts? Recommendations on what’s a minimum size that would work for a family of 5? Let’s even assume 6 if the MIL comes with. We don’t need much as camping is all good. But travelling by such means has a certain allure.

Would ideally be towable by the Odyssey (3500lb limit) as the Volt won’t tow much more than a teardrop trailer that PP has shown us.

Just a thought exercise but these things grow fairly well.
Dumped the old van just bought a new Winnebago solis 59p sleeps 4 comfortably. 2 in the back 2 on the roof bought it in the USA saved about 50g from the best price I could find in Canada. Could have saved a bunch more on a 22 but wanted the new promaster features.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Dumped the old van just bought a new Winnebago solis 59p sleeps 4 comfortably. 2 in the back 2 on the roof bought it in the USA saved about 50g from the best price I could find in Canada. Could have saved a bunch more on a 22 but wanted the new promaster features.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
So no more project on that van I saw at your place?

I've had my Salem FSX180RT for two years now. For me it's been great because I race MX and usually go for a whole weekend when I do. It's great to have all the amenities of home right there at the track. My friend owns a park on Lake Huron that I've brought it to for a few long weekend's as well, and last year my partner and I took it to Cape Breton for 8 days (we spent about $1500 just in fuel). I would 100% never do it again. I'm towing with a Sierra 1500 and driving like a grandpa while keeping an eye on the mileage, I get an average of 24 L/100km every trip. To get that mileage I am probably pissing a lot of people off behind me, but it's my money paying for my gas.

And seeing as my friend owns a park, I have never had to pay for storage. So I can't even imagine having that issue while living in a city. I haven't had many issues with the trailer though, so so far so good. I've had to replace the water pump and I built a more comfortable couch for my daughter to sleep on.

I personally could not imagine any trailer that could fit 6 people comfortably at all being pulled safely by an Odyssey (safely imo being the keyword there).

I've had my Salem FSX180RT for two years now. For me it's been great because I race MX and usually go for a whole weekend when I do. It's great to have all the amenities of home right there at the track. My friend owns a park on Lake Huron that I've brought it to for a few long weekend's as well, and last year my partner and I took it to Cape Breton for 8 days (we spent about $1500 just in fuel). I would 100% never do it again. I'm towing with a Sierra 1500 and driving like a grandpa while keeping an eye on the mileage, I get an average of 24 L/100km every trip. To get that mileage I am probably pissing a lot of people off behind me, but it's my money paying for my gas.

And seeing as my friend owns a park, I have never had to pay for storage. So I can't even imagine having that issue while living in a city. I haven't had many issues with the trailer though, so so far so good. I've had to replace the water pump and I built a more comfortable couch for my daughter to sleep on.

I personally could not imagine any trailer that could fit 6 people comfortably at all being pulled safely by an Odyssey (safely imo being the keyword there).
The oddesy would easily tow this and it has a bathroom and lots of sleeping space but not much storage.

Sent from the future

Pop up is the way to go in terms of sleeping quarters and towing with a minivan.

Hybrid like a Rockwood Roo would also be something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pop up is the way to go in terms of sleeping quarters and towing with a minivan.

Hybrid like a Rockwood Roo would also be something to consider.

I friend of mine has something like this. He also has 3 young kids.
Pulls it with his Q7 as its over the Odyssey 's towing limit.
I think he only goes around Ontario (Huntsville area) and the Q7 is very thirsty with this attached to its ass.
1662467414039.png

This past spring we did a 4 week trip to BC towing our RV. Actually my toyhauler for the track with the garage reconfigured as an office as we had to work from home while on the road. Driving one of these trips takes a lot longer than flying, but you get to see all the sights along the way. We stopped at the bad lands in Montana and Alberta. And, it's still not cheap, 10,000 km round trip, $ 5,000 in fuel ($ 1.90 ~ $ 2.50 / litre of diesel)
This a big rig for two people but might be close quarters for 6 after a few days. With some practice we could setup in 15 ~ 20 minutes and pack up in half an hour or so.

Doing this type of thing in an Odyssey with 6 people, towing a trailer is a bit optimistic. The Odyssey has a GCVW of ~ 8500 lbs. Full of people and gear you're looking at something near 6500 lbs. (over GVWR) This leaves 2,000 lbs for the trailer. (and some complications with hitch weight) I don't think you'll be able to even find a popup tent trailer that sleeps six under 2,000 lbs. Setup and breakdown with a popup take a while and are no fun in the rain. Don't expect fuel economy to be stellar (think high teens/low 20s per hundred). For local weekend trips, sure, for weeks at a time trips, you need to think bigger.

Admittedly we camp locally and no more than a week.

When I see others with kids, it’s generally weekends. Many are in minivans with pop ups or small trailers but, I don’t think they travel too far.

Pop ups get you off the ground for sleeping but, if it’s raining and stuck inside, it can be a little cramped.

We prefer to camp in spring/fall as summer is too hot and most grounds are packed.

Our kids are older and have their own tents so, it’s just dogs and us. We have a dining tent for rain to allow us space outside.

You can get a single axil hybrid trailer that has a washroom/shower and kitchen along with sleeping quarters.

We cook on the open fire and have a stove for side dishes etc.

When it comes to kids, you’ll load up with bikes and gear to keep them busy. Corn hole, washer toss, badminton, fishing poles etc.

We have kayaks.

Favorite spots are:

Sandbanks & Presqu’ile
Long Point, Rockwood, Byng Island, Pinery, Algonquin.

We do keep our trailer at a year round storage site to avoid having it at the house. Key pad access anytime you want. It’s another expense but the wife is fine with it.

Recommend hitting up some popular grounds with a big tent and check out what others are doing and chat them up. Many are friendly and happy to show you their set up and talk about pros and cons and wish lists. Hint, it’s always bigger.

I would avoid pop up trailers - great idea, terrible to maintain. If you need to leave the site and you fold it wet - it has to be set up again to dry. If you don't do it - it will get moldy, smelly etc. Mice, rats and squirrels love these and can do some serious damage. Some mechanisms are easier to unfold the top than others. Let's say it's raining outside, wife watching 3 kids and MiL inside your minivan and you are soaking wet taking 2+ hours to set it up - good luck. Better to turn around and go back at this point. With regular trailer it's much easier,!you can start using it right away.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Admittedly we camp locally and no more than a week.

When I see others with kids, it’s generally weekends. Many are in minivans with pop ups or small trailers but, I don’t think they travel too far.

Pop ups get you off the ground for sleeping but, if it’s raining and stuck inside, it can be a little cramped.

We prefer to camp in spring/fall as summer is too hot and most grounds are packed.

Our kids are older and have their own tents so, it’s just dogs and us. We have a dining tent for rain to allow us space outside.

You can get a single axil hybrid trailer that has a washroom/shower and kitchen along with sleeping quarters.

We cook on the open fire and have a stove for side dishes etc.

When it comes to kids, you’ll load up with bikes and gear to keep them busy. Corn hole, washer toss, badminton, fishing poles etc.

We have kayaks.

Favorite spots are:

Sandbanks & Presqu’ile
Long Point, Rockwood, Byng Island, Pinery, Algonquin.

We do keep our trailer at a year round storage site to avoid having it at the house. Key pad access anytime you want. It’s another expense but the wife is fine with it.

Recommend hitting up some popular grounds with a big tent and check out what others are doing and chat them up. Many are friendly and happy to show you their set up and talk about pros and cons and wish lists. Hint, it’s always bigger.

Given the expense to buy/store/maintain a trailer I suspect that rental is viable up to something like a month a year. Alternatively, rent a park model trailer at your destination and you don't need to tow the thing and it's far bigger.

The oddesy would easily tow this and it has a bathroom and lots of sleeping space but not much storage.

Sent from the future

The gross weight is over 3000lbs. Then adding all the gear etc. and imo you're in the territory of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Plus putting two adults and three kids in there (and a MIL sometimes!!!!!)? But I guess that's really dependent upon if they're inside or outside people.

I would avoid pop up trailers - great idea, terrible to maintain. If you need to leave the site and you fold it wet - it has to be set up again to dry. If you don't do it - it will get moldy, smelly etc. Mice, rats and squirrels love these and can do some serious damage. Some mechanisms are easier to unfold the top than others. Let's say it's raining outside, wife watching 3 kids and MiL inside your minivan and you are soaking wet taking 2+ hours to set it up - good luck. Better to turn around and go back at this point. With regular trailer it's much easier,!you can start using it right away.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I find a pop up easier than actual tents imo.

If it’s raining, you should have a rain coat and prepare for the possibility anyways. Even a tag along trailer you will have some outside tasks to do before hook up and driving off. Wheel chocks, stabilizer jacks, power cord, grey water drain hose, awning etc.

In the event you pack up wet, you don’t have to do a full set up to air it out at home.

Ours is electric lift which is done in a minute or two and then slide out the ends. Wouldn’t bother with stabilizing jacks and full set up unless you want to. Even then, total time is 15 minutes and two sips of beer.

Every trailer no matter the type, needs some attention. It’s part of ownership.

You are correct as many used pop ups are poorly maintained but, easy enough to spot. The same can be said for camper trailers as well. Seams and joints crack and water gets in. Over time exterior walls bubble and delaminate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The gross weight is over 3000lbs. Then adding all the gear etc. and imo you're in the territory of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Plus putting two adults and three kids in there (and a MIL sometimes!!!!!)? But I guess that's really dependent upon if they're inside or outside people.
2200 empty I would avoid a tent or hybrid at all costs personally the bunks are good for the kids and the bed would work for 2 adults I think it would work fine make sure you use the trailer brakes.

Sent from the future

Buy a decent used popup. We spent 5k on ours , used it for 4 seasons till the charm was over , sold for 5k . Odessey with electric brakes and your good to go.
I like dropping the trailer in a park and motoring around as opposed to the motorhome we once had where once parked it was "parked" .

Everything is a comprimise of one sort or another.

Back
Top Bottom