Tow Truck Turf War | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tow Truck Turf War

20 arrested, first degree murder among charges laid.

Some real scumbags there. The insurance companies knew about the scam and hired a law firm to try to disrupt it and the dirtbags went after the law firm. I hope the government has enough stones to seize everything they own as proceeds of crime. It's very unlikely that all of the families are completely innocent in this mess. Maybe you didn't explicitely know, but without some level of willful blindness, it's hard to ignore your significant other carrying a weapon.

I don't know if I would rat out my spouse if they were a demonstrably violent agent of organized crime. I could see some hard feelings

Some real scumbags there. The insurance companies knew about the scam and hired a law firm to try to disrupt it and the dirtbags went after the law firm. I hope the government has enough stones to seize everything they own as proceeds of crime. It's very unlikely that all of the families are completely innocent in this mess. Maybe you didn't explicitely know, but without some level of willful blindness, it's hard to ignore your significant other carrying a weapon.
It's a dirty business that politicians have been reluctant to regulate. There are lots of laws on the books however municipalities don't throw much muscle around when it comes to enforcement or licencing. That's part of the problem, given free reighn to financially rape stranded motorists and insurance companies, what kind of folks do you think this business will attract?

There are endless supplies of wannabe gangsters, taking 20 off the street is like cutting the tail of a lizard -- it grows back and the lizard gets smarter.

This was terrible. Read about that, 2x arson, assaulted a lawyer in the parking lot and shots fired at the firm during broad daylight. They ended up closing down.

I don't know if I would rat out my spouse if they were a demonstrably violent agent of organized crime. I could see some hard feelings
I understand that point, but if you know how they are earning their money and did nothing to stop it, I have no problem with you losing your assets as proceeds of crime. I am sure they will be crying on the court steps about being homeless and the courts took away their house. You cant have it both ways. If you knew crimes were being committed to gain the money, you cant keep the proceeds of those crimes.

Maybe CAA or other reputable towing companies can swoop in and fill the void left by these douches and provide better service with no idoiticy. What ever happens to this bunch they shouldn't be able to own a towing business again.

Bunch of scumbags from probably the slimiest industry out there.
Auto insurance rates are on the rise again. Mine is up for renewal in 2 weeks and quotes are up 15% from last year.
These scumbags have been getting rich on our backs, taking advantage of a system that is supposed to protect us all.

The nerve of them to actually rob, threaten, fire shots through the law firms window and set the place on fire..

Give them the max, 25 years or whatever it is. Publish and give jail time to anyone was involved including the shady bodyshops, therapy centers etc.

Maybe CAA or other reputable towing companies can swoop in and fill the void left by these douches and provide better service with no idoiticy. What ever happens to this bunch they shouldn't be able to own a towing business again.
I agree. There are plenty of good operators in the business and then there are the bandits. Municipalities ought to step up their game with respect to licencing, toss heavy fines for price gouging, revoke licences for repeat offenders.

I agree. There are plenty of good operators in the business and then there are the bandits. Municipalities ought to step up their game with respect to licencing, toss heavy fines for price gouging, revoke licences for repeat offenders.
CAA isn't a panacea either. A super honest tow-truck driver I respect lost the local CAA contract as CAA wanted to switch to a model with fewer operators covering huge areas. It's hard to have a fleet of many many trucks to be eligible to bid on the CAA contract without have some skeletons in your closet.

Yeah I like CAA even, but I would not want them to have a monopoly on the market

They need better regulations and enforcement on the industry.
You just need to drive a bit in the GTA area to know that these are scumbags without concern for others.
8/10 tow trucks I've seen pull dangerous, illegal moves because of the hurry they're in. Not to mention the tailgating that happens.
They make BMW drivers look good.

Scummy business overall.

I was rear ended on the 407 about 5 years ago. The tow truck driver was there and hooked up the car before even the police arrived.

He handed me cards for a lawyer that pestered me for months to make a claim. Obviously he passed on my contact information to the scumbag. He also have me the card for a physiotherapist in Richmond Hill

The place where they towed my car was bad. I wouldn’t let them paint a wheelbarrow but when I showed up to see if I could have the car towed to Owasco in Whitby they basically threatened me. Thank goodness it was written off in the end.

As I said. Very scummy industry.

Edit: a friend of mine who is a cop in 52 division said if you are even in an accident have the car towed to the reporting center. You get 24 hours free storage there and they you can make arrangements to tow it to the repair shop of your choice

They need better regulations and enforcement on the industry.
You just need to drive a bit in the GTA area to know that these are scumbags without concern for others.
8/10 tow trucks I've seen pull dangerous, illegal moves because of the hurry they're in. Not to mention the tailgating that happens.
They make BMW drivers look good.
I am always amazed by the professional courtesy extended to tow-truck drivers by police. I'm with you, most of these idiots should pick up a careless or dangerous ticket everytime they start the truck. A year or so ago, I called the cops on a tow truck driver backing up an active lane on the Gardiner to get to a crash behind him. I gave them plate, company, description etc. Without video, they said there is no way a ticket would be issued (you think the cop could engage in a battle of wits with the driver in how they arrived at the scene and see if the driver admits to dangerous driving). She forwarded information to the responding cops and said the tow truck would be kicked off the scene without a pick but that was about the extent of the punishment. So pretty much, drive like a murderous ahole because in the worst case, you don't get to extort someone for a few more minutes.

Reactions: LBV
Edit: a friend of mine who is a cop in 52 division said if you are even in an accident have the car towed to the reporting center. You get 24 hours free storage there and they you can make arrangements to tow it to the repair shop of your choice
Good point. To add to that, make sure you are going to the correct CRC. They each can only deal with a specific geographic area. I could see a scumbag towie dragging you to a distant CRC "where the lines are shorter" to drive up the tow distance and bill (especially if they also bill for the tow back to the correct CRC).

There is a cozy relationship between them -- that's part of the problem. If someone calls 911 for a car backing up on the Gardiner, that driver would be nabbed.

There is also police corruption. They just collared 3 Ottawa city cops a few weeks back for taking kickbacks and providing access to police databases for tow operators. OPP bike cops are being investigated for same. Roughly 75 officers from police services in the Greater Toronto Area — Toronto, Peel, York, Halton and Durham — and the Ontario Provincial Police are been disciplined each year for what their own services call "serious" misconduct.

Blew a tire on the 400....called CAA...10 min later they were there....car on flat bet towed to my choice of shops....well done CAA ?....I the 10 min wait 3 tow trucks pulled over...i told them no thanks....
A bit off topic but if you want to get gouged...take your animal to the vet.....55 dollars to show me how to give an insulin shot....5 min tops.....now they need to be regulated real bad.

Blew a tire on the 400....called CAA...10 min later they were there....car on flat bet towed to my choice of shops....well done CAA ?....I the 10 min wait 3 tow trucks pulled over...i told them no thanks....
A bit off topic but if you want to get gouged...take your animal to the vet.....55 dollars to show me how to give an insulin shot....5 min tops.....now they need to be regulated real bad.
You got off lucky. My got his teeth cleaned last year. Four hours at $1000 an hour. I was not impressed with the vet or my wife.

Back
Top Bottom