Tow Truck Turf War | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tow Truck Turf War

It was quite entertaining when they provided an itemized $4000 bill for a tow. I dont think that's what the politicians were hoping for when they drafted that law.
I have a similar bill from a friend. I’ll find it and post it

If CAA does not get there in time to tow from an accident, they will reimburse you for the tow fee if another guy takes it. (at least they have in my case)

You have the right to choose where you want it towed to. Regardless if the tow operator like it or now.

That's how I understand it.
Did NOT know/hear of the "CAA will not tow from the scene of an accident" before.

From CAA: Roadside Services Guide
Accident tows.
Your CAA Membership covers you for service in the event you are in an accident. CAA will make an effort to accommodate the towing of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances police may require that the vehicle be removed immediately by an independent towing company. In these situations, the Member may submit for a refund. As a Member, you must be present for service. An original official receipt and a legible copy of the accident report must be submitted with any requests for a refund along with the name of your insurance company and applicable coverage. To be eligible for reimbursement, a receipt and/or accident report must bear the Member’s name.

I've saved the bacon for a few riders on group rides/randoms on the side of the road.
Bit of a wait, but always coming through with a beautiful flatbed and free tow for 200km

Last edited:
Isn't it "Kamil" towing?
And you know what they say:
"Ain't no tow, like a Kamil tow".

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nope Camel towing

1480813_1.jpg

Should we start a list of honest and crook tow trucks somewhere in the forum? Or will I get a visit from a tow company

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I've used these guys - they're honest.

I have referred many customers to Diamond, they're good, honest, and reasonably priced. Even if you're not in Durham but in the GTA, they can contract out to someone else in their circle, with the same treatment. Towed a customer's car from Brampton to Whitby for ~$300.

Just be glad you don't drive a tractor trailer. This from an associate...

Yesterday we had a guy jacknife near Sherbrooke Pq, the truck and empty trailer was on some grass and was upright. It was winched back onto the highway and both units were towed 10km to a towing yard incredibly the, towing bill was $18,000 The whole shebang took 3 hours from the time of the phone call until the truck and trailer arrived at the tow yard. I tried to get the equipment out yesterday and move it to a repair shop......the tow company was too busy to make the invoice until 11am today. At 11am they announce they wont accept any form of payment other than credit card in hand at their compound. We tried EFT, they wont do it..........they want the weekends storage which will add another $1,000. We had another tow company there to pick up the equipment because everyone on the planet accepts EFT's but they wont release the equipment until someone shows up with a credit card. Please tell me the towing business will soon be regulated.....

Possibly the scummiest shadiest business out there. They will take advantage of you when you are at your worst. vultures.
A friend of mine (girl) got into a small fender bender a while back and of course the tow truck driver pressures her as she is crying to hook up the tow, takes it to buddies bodyshop where Im sure they proceeded to hold it as long as they could and extract as much money out of her insurance company as they could. It could have just been driven home.
We pay high insurance partly because of these bodyshops and tow truck operators. There needs to be big changes to that industry.

Just be glad you don't drive a tractor trailer. This from an associate...

Yesterday we had a guy jacknife near Sherbrooke Pq, the truck and empty trailer was on some grass and was upright. It was winched back onto the highway and both units were towed 10km to a towing yard incredibly the, towing bill was $18,000 The whole shebang took 3 hours from the time of the phone call until the truck and trailer arrived at the tow yard. I tried to get the equipment out yesterday and move it to a repair shop......the tow company was too busy to make the invoice until 11am today. At 11am they announce they wont accept any form of payment other than credit card in hand at their compound. We tried EFT, they wont do it..........they want the weekends storage which will add another $1,000. We had another tow company there to pick up the equipment because everyone on the planet accepts EFT's but they wont release the equipment until someone shows up with a credit card. Please tell me the towing business will soon be regulated.....
What are he rules about driving away? Did he have to accept a tow or could he have driven away after recovery and inspection?

Just wanted to give a shout-out to CAA.

I am embarrassed to say but I ran out of gas on the 401 today. (it's not an excuse but the rental vehicle consumes gas quicker than I anticipated)

I pulled over onto the right shoulder and waited while pondering which life line I should use.

A couple minutes later, a flatbed CAA truck pulled up. (Good thing as the rental car was a 4 wheel drive and dollies would have just added time I did not have)

Walked up and asked if I have CAA. Of course I do ;). He got dispatch on the phone, I provided my dad's....., I mean my CAA number. Within 5 minutes, car was secured on the flat bed and 3 minutes later I was at the nearest gas station.

I tanked up and was on my way and made it to my destination right on time.

He initially said he had gas with him but realized that he used it up earlier in the day.

I suppose luck was on my side today. It could not have worked out any better or faster. (Well if he had gas with him it would have been faster)
Calling CAA myself would have probably taken longer just as getting a family member to come with gas would as well.
From the time I pulled over to the time I had gas in my car was about 15-20 min.

The vultures are harder to find at 9:30 at night on a non snowy day and had they come I am sure I would have been robbed of at least $100.

Anyways, Saeed from CAA was great.

A. good that you were embarassed, with a gauge, a low gas light and some cars giving Kms to empty data , I'm pretty shocked at anybody out of gas.
However I have also run out of gas, since the GM I had was about 15% wrong with the level data, so I too have been embarassed.

B. without CAA, I'm not sure you would have gotten away with a $100 bill to get to the gas station. Its all been anecdotal stories but I've heard of trucks stopping, demanding rediculous money to get off the highway, and telling people they are getting you out of there before the police come and ticket you for breaking down on the roadway, an obstruction to traffic ticket. Its beyond calling it a racket.

I'm only saying $100 because I was less than 2 KM to the nearest gas station.
But you are right they would have probably attempted to get much more out of me.

I'm only saying $100 because I was less than 2 KM to the nearest gas station.
But you are right they would have probably attempted to get much more out of me.
Yeah they probably would have given you a ridiculous flat rate fee or something, and still try and tow you someplace outta the way, to a place of their business before you fuelled up.

So I guess is CAA the only ligitimate towing company in town.

I would say so.
If you don't mind waiting for their tow that is dispatch to your vehicle than I would say YES.
At you least you know the driver will not try to pull any tricks and sell you some bull crap and charge your ridiculous rates.

Although my dad did use them last year and towed his vehicle to a dealer from his friends house. (would not start, bad grounding in some connector)
He went along for the ride with the driver, but the driver would not drop him off at his house once the vehicle was dropped off at the dealer. It was only another 10 min ride. My dad had to find his own way home.
I found that a little strange.

For the amount of hours these guys sit under underpasses and in parking lots it amazes me how they're able to afford brand new 100k + trucks and deck them out with fancy rims that probably cost 10k when all it seems they do is sit there all day but after reading some of these articles it makes sense when they can make a couple weeks or a months pay (cash) in a single day.

For the amount of hours these guys sit under underpasses and in parking lots it amazes me how they're able to afford brand new 100k + trucks and deck them out with fancy rims that probably cost 10k when all it seems they do is sit there all day but after reading some of these articles it makes sense when they can make a couple weeks or a months pay (cash) in a single day.

Probably the reason the industry is hard to regulate. A bit like the fire department in that they aren't needed a lot of the time but when needed they are really needed.

BTW way back when, the fire department was a bunch of rowdies and raced to fires not unlike the tow trucks.

What would happen if tow trucks were dispatched like ambulances? Firstly there would have to be at least two divisions. One for crashes and traffic obstructions. The other would be for dead batteries etc. You don't call 911 for someone to pick up your prescription.

Rates would be regulated and a GPS system would get the truck nearest the wreck to respond.

Last edited:
Another tow truck on tow truck shooting. You would think tow trucks would have more dashcams on them than the average vehicle (especially given recent events) yet there is a distinct lack of footage coming out of this turfwar. It almost makes you wonder if they are doing something they don't want documented?

Another tow truck on tow truck shooting. You would think tow trucks would have more dashcams on them than the average vehicle (especially given recent events) yet there is a distinct lack of footage coming out of this turfwar. It almost makes you wonder if they are doing something they don't want documented?

This kind of behaviour will catch up with them... just about every tow truck has a name and a phone # painted on the side. I might pay more attention to those things if one of them started dispensing bullets

There was a news story a couple years back where the tow trucks parked on the ramps also sold drugs, if your goingf to sit there all day you may as well have a part time job.

Four more tow trucks burned last night. If I drove a truck, I would definitely not be parking it right beside my house until this settles down.

Back
Top Bottom