Toronto to waste +6 Mill Renaming Dundas street. | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to waste +6 Mill Renaming Dundas street.

84a4b04b-0d23-49d4-9c7c-bcfcf5449113-Screen%20Shot%202018-05-07%20at%2012.49.01.png
Where’s puking smile here?

I wonder when they'll rename Brantford and everything Brant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Brant

In May, Brant returned to Fort Niagara where, with his new salary and plunder from his raids, he acquired a farm on the Niagara River, six miles (10 km) from the fort. To work the farm and to serve the household, he used slaves captured during his raids. Brant also bought a slave, a seven-year-old African-American girl named Sophia Burthen Pooley. She served him and his family for six years before he sold her to an Englishman named Samuel Hatt for $100. He built a small chapel for the Indians who started living nearby. There he also married for a third time, to Catherine Croghan (as noted above in Marriage section).

and

The British historian Michael Johnson described the lifestyle of the Anglophile Brant along the Grand as "something of the style of an English squire". Deeply interested in the Anglican church, Brant used his spare time to translate the Gospel of St. Mark from English into Mohawk. He had about twenty white and black servants and slaves. Brant thought the government made too much over the keeping of slaves, as captives were used for servants in Indian practice. He had a good farm of mixed crops and also kept cattle, sheep, and hogs. At one point he owned 40 black slaves.

Exactly. As there is no reasonable end to this process, it should never have been started. It's just a blackhole of money, bureaucracy and special interests.

If there’s a referendum and EVERYONE votes for Streety McStreetface, it might just nip it in the bud.

How many people want this change? Not too many here at GTAM it seems.

Were the people signing the petition made aware of the costs, right on top of our pandemic fiasco, real estate fiasco, wage disparity fiasco, medical costs fiasco?

If a person made a lot of noise about the ridiculous nature of the change would there be enough people that do want the change to make the objector's life miserable or even hazardous?

This is another case of government spending irresponsibility. The $6M is the tip of the iceberg and as with much government spending, when costs go up the taxman just reaches into the taxpayer's pocket, considering it bottomless.

If the pockets were seen as having limits, the politicians would have to choose between the name change and, for example, woman's shelters or scholarships.

Under the present system, if the woman's shelter budget issue was raised, the politicians would just take another handful of money out of the taxpayer's pocket. Why aren't these sudden noble causes left until an election when the voters can be heard? After a century or two of Dundas being Dundas another year or two shouldn't matter.

The cost to commerce and industry is up in the air. If the new name is longer signs may have to be completely replaced. Stationary will need to be replaced, websites modified, maps re written, etc.

Individuals and companies that use the logic of constantly taking more from their cash suppliers eventually go bankrupt. The government just drives everyone else bankrupt.

What annoys me the most is that we are more selective when buying a new car than when we are when picking someone to run our government. With the car we ask about guarantees. We forecast future expenses. We look at the cost of options. Reliability and track records are studied.

With the politician it's "He talks nice, I'll vote for him."

Can we start a petition on how we DON’T want this change? Or will that equate to the organizer of such petition being labeled a racist and having themselves put in danger due to lunacy of the population?

Can we start a petition on how we DON’T want this change? Or will that equate to the organizer of such petition being labeled a racist and having themselves put in danger due to lunacy of the population?

Defund political stupidity? Like the cops. Not intended to fire them all but a hard look at their roles and if portions of what they do should be allocated somewhere else that better serves the end goal (and remove the money for the alternate solution from the original provider as now that they have a smaller scope of work, they can accomplish it with less money).

Defund political stupidity? Like the cops. Not intended to fire them all but a hard look at their roles and if portions of what they do should be allocated somewhere else that better serves the end goal (and remove the money for the alternate solution from the original provider as now that they have a smaller scope of work, they can accomplish it with less money).
Defund the police? I’d prefer not to commit suicide with 2 shots to the back of the head thank you very much.

The reaction against the person trying to bring some balance to the problem is my concern.

As far as the atonement goes it, IMO, is just another bloody symbolic gesture. Whoopee do. We bring ourselves down to their level instead of lifting them up to ours. Does anyone who is using more than one brain cell think some condescending gesture is going to make the failures of the past go away?

I had someone from my distant pass call me to apologize for something they did that was offensive to me fifteen years earlier. It was part of a ten step rehab program they were on. It was very uncomfortable for both of us.

The reaction against the person trying to bring some balance to the problem is my concern.

As far as the atonement goes it, IMO, is just another bloody symbolic gesture. Whoopee do. We bring ourselves down to their level instead of lifting them up to ours. Does anyone who is using more than one brain cell think some condescending gesture is going to make the failures of the past go away?

I had someone from my distant pass call me to apologize for something they did that was offensive to me fifteen years earlier. It was part of a ten step rehab program they were on. It was very uncomfortable for both of us.
It’s no more than a feel good pat on the back gesture. I expect (and hope) this fails a quick and sudden death when something else comes up for people to be upset about.

I don't like the term "Defund the police". It is too easy for people to think we're going to cut necessary services. I'll go for "Update the police"

We need an updating of police attitudes right from the top. I believe most cops are decent and want to make a difference. Unfortunately the weasels know how to work their way up in the organization to positions of power and crappy attitudes flow downhill. Add to that, politicians use cops as a revenue source.

Decades ago I asked my brother, then a Toronto traffic cop, if he had a quota. Answer: There is no set quota but if you don't hand out enough tickets you might have a superior officer question your powers of observation. A comment would be made that cops that aren't observant don't get promotions.

But there was no quota.

The more money the weasels can make for the politicians, the more likely they will get promoted again.

The defunding relationship with the police should be taking away their fund collecting ability. They can collect fines for traffic infractions but it goes into a fund that compensates drivers found innocent of charges.

Decades ago I asked my brother, then a Toronto traffic cop, if he had a quota. Answer: There is no set quota but if you don't hand out enough tickets you might have a superior officer question your powers of observation. A comment would be made that cops that aren't observant don't get promotions.

In all fairness in my 45 minute drive to work today, I spotted 1 guy running a red, 3 guys doing illegal u-turns, the usual speeding, and one guy running a cross walk.

I'm sure the police force knows how many tickets an officer can give out per hour at a reasonable rate. Perhaps not a quota but a necessary efficiency KPI, to ensure they are not just drinking coffee all day.

In all fairness in my 45 minute drive to work today, I spotted 1 guy running a red, 3 guys doing illegal u-turns, the usual speeding, and one guy running a cross walk.

I'm sure the police force knows how many tickets an officer can give out per hour at a reasonable rate. Perhaps not a quota but a necessary efficiency KPI, to ensure they are not just drinking coffee all day.

A few years back I was working with a cop a few weeks before his retirement. He was going into security for a condo I was servicing.

He was somewhat cynical of the new officers coming in with BA degrees. His experiences were that they weren't interested in mundane traffic stops and were just working their way up in the organization. Like I said, he was a cynic which can be understandable.

I heard later that he got into trouble with the condo for being too aggressive with visitor rules.

Back
Top Bottom