Toronto to waste +6 Mill Renaming Dundas street. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to waste +6 Mill Renaming Dundas street.

CriticalCore

Have avoided mainstream and news in general for almost a decade, among the constant stream of the latest stupidity for public display a true highlight is wasting taxpayer money to rename a goddam street which caught my eye and general disbelief at the sheer ******* stupidity of people.

""" Dundas, an influential Scottish politician, was opposed to ending the British Empire's participation in the transatlantic slave trade when the proposal was brought forth near the end of the 18th century. His opposition served to stall the abolition of the practice, which kept hundreds of thousands of people, many of them Black, in bondage and allowed many more people to be enslaved. """

Boo ******* hoo, a literal non-issue that has 0 effect on anyone with a positive IQ - not many of those I know. Dundas is a goddam street name, end of story, of all the things to dump taxpayers money, I'd rather the funds siphoned off by politicians instead of wasting it on this non-sense.

Public news, always there to build up your apathy & distaste towards the general public.

The real cost will be vastly higher. Redoing all signs (street,ttc maps, etc) alone will probably blow their budget.

All the corporate business cards/letterhead that end up in the garbage will make eco heads spin.

The worst kind of politics again. Every level of government is climbing on the bandwagon.

Curious what the village of Dundas is going to do about this.

Wait. It's amalgamated with The People's Republic of Hamilton now. The Orange Commies on city council will force it to be renamed Rainbows and Unicorns Village.

I’d wager that the vast majority have no idea who Dundas was especially prior to this nonsense. Times change and what was once acceptable often is not anymore. Let’s spend our efforts and money on something more productive.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’d wager that the vast majority have no idea who Dundas was especially prior to this nonsense. Times change and what was once acceptable often is not anymore. Let’s spend our efforts and money on something more productive.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
It would be interesting to have a park with plaques for each of the historical figures we no longer like. Give people an easy location to learn about ryerson, dundas, etc, what they did that got them accolades and why we no longer want their memory to exist. Much cheaper than this nonsense.

It would be interesting to have a park with plaques for each of the historical figures we no longer like. Give people an easy location to learn about ryerson, dundas, etc, what they did that got them accolades and why we no longer want their memory to exist. Much cheaper than this nonsense.

There's a park in Vaughn with a statue of Papa Trudeau you can visit if you want to.

Pierre-Trudeau-statue-vadalism-August-16-1.jpeg.jpg

The only reason this is even entertained is because of the media coverage and pent up 'anger' at the past. It's the past, it happened many years ago, life moves on, people's attitude changes, new social norms take over. This fake outrage is getting ridiculous and out of hand (I say this as a white, able bodied male).

We / they have become so sensitized to everything because we literally do not have real problems in life anymore. It's become too easy, and I am pretty confident that this 'rage' is raised to a boil by a small group of asshats that enjoy seeing the world in chaos. Have a war, calamity, famine or what not and you'll see this type of 'anger' disappear in no time as people will actually have to worry and deal with life hardships.

I hope this garbage gets stuck in committee after committee so that it just fizzles away when the next new fad of 'anger' comes to fruition.

We should learn from the past, not erase it...but that doesn't get you ratings or likes.

There's a park in Vaughn with a statue of Papa Trudeau you can visit if you want to.

Vaughan is troublesome too, just ask the high school formerly known as Vaughan Secondary

What I find interesting is neither Dundas nor Vaughan have anything to do with Canada, John Simcoe basically named things after his British friends

Vaughan is troublesome too, just ask the high school formerly known as Vaughan Secondary

What I find interesting is neither Dundas nor Vaughan have anything to do with Canada, John Simcoe basically named things after his British friends
Logic has no space within these arguments and angry mobs. Logic and common sense are the enemy. Sound bites and Facebook likes are what matters.

What about Dundas St in Sauga? I doubt they will change it too. The guy who started the petition (who is white, by the way) appears to be a real bleeding heart type. I checked out some of his posts on Facebook. Looks like he needs to devote himself to social cause big time and doesn't seem to give a crap about the cost or inconvenience to others. Excuse me while I go looking for more happy pills.

Pierre-Trudeau-statue-vadalism-August-16-1.jpeg.jpg
In the native graves thread someone mentioned PET was pro residential schools. Any fact to that?

I know a lady who was the wife of an upper level civil servant and they got invited to PET's parties. Apparently reefers were served on silver trays while the cops were busting potheads elsewhere.

We refer to the house across the street as Mr. Lowes. He hasn't lived there for 30 years. It's had at least three new owners, none named Lowe.

So what's the new name to be? Going back to Highway 5 is safe unless there is a religious meaning that could cause offence.

To the religious "We all have sinned and come short blah blah blah........" So if we can't name anything after a sinner and we're all sinners we're stuck with numbers. How many streets do we have and how does that work out? Anyone from Calgary?

Then our quaint neighbourhoods will disappear. Roncesvalle Village might disappear because there was a battle in Spain centuries ago and someone lost. Let's not offend the descendants of the losers.

Of course to keep Americans visiting our quaint city we'll have to spend millions to come up with cutsy new names. Wasn't the Kensington market originally called the Jewish Market?

How many people will die because 911 dispatchers will not relate Dundas Street to Lollypop Lane.

The city will blow the $6M in a heartbeat and ask for more. It sets a precedent and more streets will have to be re-labeled. What about businesses and the costs for website changes, stationery etc?

I try to look at the other side. If my daughter was tortured, raped and murdered and a new street in my area was going to be named Bernardo Way I would be upset if I saw the signs and I'd want a change.

If I was told the change would mean $6 M wouldn't be available for scholarships, woman's shelters, seniors care, etc I'd learn to handle the name.

In the native graves thread someone mentioned PET was pro residential schools. Any fact to that?

I know a lady who was the wife of an upper level civil servant and they got invited to PET's parties. Apparently reefers were served on silver trays while the cops were busting potheads elsewhere.

Some guy also claimed to have had homosexual relations with him. He disappeared. Nobody ever heard from him again. Pierre was in favor of getting rid of the Indian Act, and the reserves. I only agree with defunding the reserves, but in short he didn't have much time for the indigenous peoples in Canada.

Maybe they could find someone named Dundas, that doesn't have any "offenses", and rename it after them, thus saving some $$$?

Efforts to change the name of "Swastika Trail" in Waterloo Region have failed for years.

Back
Top Bottom