Toronto City Workers Sick Days | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto City Workers Sick Days

Headed into my fat, lazy, over protected and underutilized job on a Saturday morning at 6 am. Why? Because someone didn't call in sick and infected half our group. Now the rest of us have to scramble and pick up work to be done for the end of the month.

Where I agrees human nature sucks and people will always try and take advantage there is one thing here that really ****** me off. STAY AWAY FROM WORK IF YOU TRULY ARE VIRAL.

The Toronto Municipal Workers hear your plea, they are staying home in droves just in case.

At least with car insurance bad drivers pay their own way.

Not entirely true, but I get the point.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I know one teacher that's on her way home before 2 p.m. what's that got to do with this? I also met a nice lady who worked for the city who bragged about getting a temporary handicapped sticker after spraining her ankle, and had just gotten it renewed because it was just so gosh darn convenient. Actually, it was during the day, that I saw her, maybe she was on disability at the time.
Who tf still says "gosh darn"?

@meme have a manager at work like that. Comes in, coughs, sneezes touches everything and then when someone else gets sick and calls in he rips them a new one. Purell is my friend.

Labour unions are fat slugs that should be exterminated. Private sector or government.
They've done their jobs 80 years ago. It's time for them to go. They are destroying the economy.

Construction unions exist as a need to the industry. It's a large labour pool. One phone call gets you all the men you need, albeit at a price. It's the easiest way to staff a large project. If you don't like some of the workers you just lay them off. Refresh with new workers. There is no real protection. The workers are pitted against each other, compete to stay on board. I'm not sure I'd want to do that at half the wage. YMMV.

Who tf still says "gosh darn"?

shazam+gomer.jpg

@meme have a manager at work like that. Comes in, coughs, sneezes touches everything

Owner of the company l use to work for was like that. Every year he would come in after christmas sick, infect everyone, then take off to his condo in Cancun till the spring, leaving the rest of us with the plague. We ended up leaving cans of Lysol everywhere and sprayed the crap out of our phones/keyboards/mice before touching them until he'd leave.

Labour unions are fat slugs that should be exterminated. Private sector or government.
They've done their jobs 80 years ago. It's time for them to go. They are destroying the economy.

On average, municipal and government workers are over compensated, and over protected compared to the private sector. There's no denying that. Not everyone is lazy or crooked but lazy and crooked people do look for easy jobs.
Obviously Sun is trying to stir ****, they are that kind of media.
Do your own research.

I have fewer problem with unions in sectors where there is competition. If brand "A" goes on strike or the workers have poor performance you buy from brand "B".

Unions can be corrupt as well. If you are disliked a steward may not support your grievance.

A lot of the more diligent construction workers don't like the way the list system works, particularly in slow times. The slackers know how to work the list.

The biggest joke is job security. Where does the employer get "No bankruptcy" security?

On average, municipal and government workers are over compensated, and over protected compared to the private sector. There's no denying that. Not everyone is lazy or crooked but lazy and crooked people do look for easy jobs.
Do your own research.
What good is a "good economy" if people are over worked and squeezed to the max, the reason for unions is to protect the workers from ******** companies want to do to them.

Life is not about the well being of companies only, it's about the well being of the workers, you know the people

Construction unions exist as a need to the industry. It's a large labour pool. One phone call gets you all the men you need, albeit at a price. It's the easiest way to staff a large project. If you don't like some of the workers you just lay them off. Refresh with new workers. There is no real protection. The workers are pitted against each other, compete to stay on board. I'm not sure I'd want to do that at half the wage. YMMV.

I agree to a point as the guys that are good/hard workers will always find a job. However there's a lot of useless (connected) guys who are in it just for the money and game the system. $150-$200k per year to swing a shovel and then ***** and complain about how they deserve more...sign me up!

I work my *** off and there's basically zero chance of making that type of money on a regular basis.

I agree to a point as the guys that are good/hard workers will always find a job. However there's a lot of useless (connected) guys who are in it just for the money and game the system. $150-$200k per year to swing a shovel and then ***** and complain about how they deserve more...sign me up!

I work my *** off and there's basically zero chance of making that type of money on a regular basis.

Where is this $150-$200k to swing a shovel? My trade does way more than that (but we're not auto techs, granted) and rare is the man who can get 1800hrs/year. A very good year might see $80,000. As far as useless guys gaming the system, look to the management, foremen who just push the $H1t downhill. 90%+ boots on the ground spend 40% of their energy working around organizational screw ups like lack of materials, equipment, scheduling etc. yet still take the blame. The other 10% are smart enough to just float along.

I would love to see these pay stubs. I always hear about these mythical "$200k ditch diggers" but have never met one in all my years doing construction.

What good is a "good economy" if people are over worked and squeezed to the max, the reason for unions is to protect the workers from ******** companies want to do to them.

Life is not about the well being of companies only, it's about the well being of the workers, you know the people
I worked in the private industry (non union) for about 15 years and really enjoyed my work. I worked very hard with many ridiculously long and very physically demanding days. Despite my work ethic, education and experience, I was only making enough to get by and I felt I was being squeezed to the max. This is why I left the private industry. I worked with people who were like me and others who were lazy and abused the system.

Now, as someone who works outdoors for the city and indoors teaching at a college, I work under two different unions. I really enjoy the places where I work and I am fairly compensated for the work I do - which I know I do really well. I still have the same work ethic and my education and experience has increased, and so has my pay/benefits. Now I earn enough to live comfortably and have a good work-life balance which is the most important thing for me.

From my limited experience. it's not unions that are the problem, but those who abuse whatever system they work in. Unfortunately in a unionized environment those abusers have more protection, but the flip side is that in a non unionized environment, the lack of protection squeezes people too much. In a perfect world, unions would not be needed, because all workers are treated fairly and with respect while they do their jobs efficiently and to a high standard.

Do your own research.
Ahhh, the most tired, old, nonsensical anti-union argument going. THEY DID THEIR JOB LONG AGO!

Yeah, right to work states where working conditions, wages, benefits, labor protections, and just about everything else has eroded and continues to erode. But you're totally right.

Ahhh, the most tired, old, nonsensical anti-union argument going. THEY DID THEIR JOB LONG AGO!

Yeah, right to work states where working conditions, wages, benefits, labor protections, and just about everything else has eroded and continues to erode. But you're totally right.

I read a lot of Dickens. That's all I need to know where labour used to be and where corporations want to go back to.

I can't speak for the City, but I know UofT (also union) allowed for a lot of sick days (the 6 month thing rings a bell). When I was there I never took that many/rarely got sick, but a few years back when my appendix decided it wanted out, I think I took off 2-3 weeks and no one said anything/never had any issues. I actually remember coming back after the first week and being sent home as I could barely walk.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the City, but I know UofT (also union) allowed for a lot of sick days (the 6 month thing rings a bell). When I was there I never took that many/rarely got sick, but a few years back when my appendix decided it wanted out, I think I took off 2-3 weeks and no one said anything/never had any issues. I actually remember coming back after the first week and being sent home as I could barely walk.

Your my hero . Such dedication .

Arse^

If you are an adult and are sick be sick. Bonus if you get paid. If you are not sick you are also an arse as above

From my limited experience. it's not unions that are the problem, but those who abuse whatever system they work in. Unfortunately in a unionized environment those abusers have more protection, but the flip side is that in a non unionized environment, the lack of protection squeezes people too much. In a perfect world, unions would not be needed, because all workers are treated fairly and with respect while they do their jobs efficiently and to a high standard.

This. To add to that, if you are self-employed, an attempt to abuse the system results in failure, sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom