Toronto City Workers Sick Days | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto City Workers Sick Days

I'm also self-employed - agree with everything you wrote, but still would never go back to working for someone else.

Ditto here although I get benefits through my wife's workplace.

If you are a go-getter of the good type a government job could lead you to drink, drugs or suicide.

In too many cases government jobs go to people that have plodded their way up the ladder by taking appropriate courses. People with natural talent but the wrong piece of paper end up sorting mail.

I do not understand why people are so mad at the fact that workers enjoy their home life and use the rights given to them by their contract in order to have a great life work balance.

People are arguing that everyone should not take sick days unless you are dying, why? so that you can put more money on the pockets of the 1% already rich? So that you are fired for no other reason then the company trying to squeeze the most they can out of their profits?

Do you get your work done? are you not affecting your coworkers? then go ahead and take as many sick days as you want!

At this age I have learned that companies do not give a **** about you and that you should take care of yourself, so taking extra sick days help your well being, family life and makes you a happier and more productive person, go ahead and take them.

and this goes for the public sector as well.

The real issue of the government losing our money is the use of consulting companies, the over paid contracts and simply the stupidity of the people making decisions (it's not their money so they don't care), the issue is not the worker that takes a day off when they are not sick.

Last edited:
I do not understand why people are so mad at the fact that workers enjoy their home life and use the rights given to them by their contract in order to have a great life work balance.

People are arguing that everyone should not take sick days unless you are dying, why? so that you can put more money on the pockets of the 1% already rich? So that you are fired for no other reason then the company trying to squeeze the most they can out of their profits?

Do you get your work done? are you not affecting your coworkers? then go ahead and take as many sick days as you want!

At this age I have learned that companies do not give a **** about you and that you should take care of yourself, so taking extra sick days help your well being, family life and makes you a happier and more productive person, go ahead and take them.

and this goes for the public sector as well.

The real issue of the government losing our money is the use of consulting companies, the over paid contracts and simply the stupidity of the people making decisions (it's not their money so they don't care), the issue is not the worker that takes a day off when they are not sick.

Pretty sure most tax payers are not apart of the 1%.
Those would be called vacation days if they were honest

Absolutely right.

Just look at the difference between esa, labour laws vs the contracts for the government employees that administer those depts...

Pretty sure most tax payers are not apart of the 1%.
Those would be called vacation days if they were honest

Absolutely right.

Just look at the difference between esa, labour laws vs the contracts for the government employees that administer those depts...

If it's so great why don't you get a government job?

Recently I got a letter from the government saying I over paid my taxes. Upon calling them I was met with a loud obnoxious lady who said it was a mistake. That says alot about competence

What a dumb question.

We're not complaining because we're jealous of their jobs. We're complaining because WE PAY FOR ALL THESE SICK DAYS.

Recently I got a letter from the government saying I over paid my taxes. Upon calling them I was met with a loud obnoxious lady who said it was a mistake. That says alot about competence
My friend's sister's brother is a city worker. I heard he works hard and doesn't take more than 6 sick days a year.

Sooooooooo

ha ha exposed!

No thanks... for a couple of reasons.
mostly because I don't want to...
also because I injured myself a year and a half ago, been mostly off since... I couldn't, in good faith, accept anything from anyone right now knowing I would take a lot of days off in the future due to the injury.

Is the high rate of absenteeism within Toronto Fire Services due to watching people die and other major stress or is the job more prone to injuries?
If it is due to workplace injuries, are the employees listed as absent if they are no longer on the front lines due to being on modified duties?

Last edited:
Workplace injuries? 6 foot step ladders are clearly marked "Do not step above this point" or some such. Firemen still use ladders? Haven't seen a fire in years. They are on my short list of heros just the same.

Is the high rate of absenteeism within Toronto Fire Services due to watching people die and other major stress or is the job more prone to injuries?
If it is due to workplace injuries, are the employees listed as absent if they are no longer on the front lines due to being on modified duties?

In some sectors of the TFD it is stress from dealing with higher ups that are so smug about being considered a hero that they ignore decent behavior when dealing with subordinates. Think Donald Trump.

Workplace injuries? 6 foot step ladders are clearly marked "Do not step above this point" or some such. Firemen still use ladders? Haven't seen a fire in years. They are on my short list of heros just the same.

Does that include the racist misogynists?

How is that relevant? It's because they are in a union and lazy

Yeah they get hurt a lot when they're rescuing cats or blocking roadways for car accidents

Does that include the racist misogynists?

I wouldn't put firemen in the same category as racist misogynists. Maybe the volunteer basement savers but, hey, you get what you pay for. Unless they're on sick leave, then you don't even get that.

Labour unions are fat slugs that should be exterminated. Private sector or government.
They've done their jobs 80 years ago. It's time for them to go. They are destroying the economy.

On average, municipal and government workers are over compensated, and over protected compared to the private sector. There's no denying that. Not everyone is lazy or crooked but lazy and crooked people do look for easy jobs.
Obviously Sun is trying to stir ****, they are that kind of media.
Do your own research.

Back
Top Bottom