Thoughts on CB500F? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on CB500F?

Don't forget if you are going new, the freight and admin is extra...quick search on Kijiji shows dealers giving the 1k rebate then adding it back in fees...

This seems to be the cheapest new one on Kijiji in Ontario:
[/URL]

If you don't want to go to Belleville use the ad to negotiate with a local dealer. It's winter, you might be surprised what they will take to sell a bike.

That's a nice bike, not the most powerful small bike but at only 315 lbs it doesn't need to be. I had one chasing me on the Forks one day on my vfr, watching him in the mirror he looked like he was having a blast, big stupid grin on his face lol.

Yeah if I go to a dealer I'd tell them to stick it with their 800-1000 fee lol. I'd only take it with rebate+tax. Maybe less. Thanks for reminding me how slimy they can be. F***.

Speaking of winter negotiating power - how late can I wait until that flex becomes powerless? February? earlier?

I realistically don't plan to buy until mid or late feb as that's when I'll have all the cash as I budgeted my 5k limit to be available in late winter.

This is just a clarification thing:

So on powersports website, 300r is listed $4499,00 after rebate. PLUS tax, which makes sense, PLUS $753,25 in "fees".?

Is this 1) them pulling some BS, 2) they trying to make me pay the bikes rent, 3) is this normal?

If they give no hint what the fees are for, it is likely shipping and dealer prep,
would be awesome if you could just say; I'd like one still in the box at the sale price please, where do I pick it up?

most likely freight & PDI. Cost to get it from the manufacturer to the dealership + the dealerships inspection/minor assembly.

One thing to note about freight and smaller bikes is manufacturers can sometimes stuff 2 per crate. When I bought mine they tried to charge the $500 (1 crate) freight charge. called the sales guy out on how Yamaha ships (2) R3's per crate and they dropped it to $250.

PDI is also a soft cost for the dealership and can be negotiated. However don't expect much if you walk off the street in May and try to barter on a 2020 model.

most likely freight & PDI. Cost to get it from the manufacturer to the dealership + the dealerships inspection/minor assembly.

One thing to note about freight and smaller bikes is manufacturers can sometimes stuff 2 per crate. When I bought mine they tried to charge the $500 (1 crate) freight charge. called the sales guy out on how Yamaha ships (2) R3's per crate and they dropped it to $250.

PDI is also a soft cost for the dealership and can be negotiated. However don't expect much if you walk off the street in May and try to barter on a 2020 model.

Makes sense, hence why I'm curious what would happen if I walk in with a bag of cash in february asking for a 2019 model.

Though used 500f would still be cheaper.

but it's not a single, close but just not the same.

This is just a clarification thing:

So on powersports website, 300r is listed $4499,00 after rebate. PLUS tax, which makes sense, PLUS $753,25 in "fees".?

Is this 1) them pulling some BS, 2) they trying to make me pay the bikes rent, 3) is this normal?
Fees are part of buying any motor vehicle. Omvic has us pretty heavily regulated on how we show what. Freight and fees are handed down from the manufacturer/government, the admin can be played with. If the mark up on bikes is similar structure to cars, you probably won't have much room anyway on a lower priced one like that so see what they can do with the admin or maybe warranty/accessories to get your best value.

Negotiating power depends on how good you and the other guy are at it lol, and how badly he wants to sell it. Check out the supershow in January, you might get a good deal there.

Not all of us are slimy lol, but yeah unfortunately the bad ones seem to outnumber those of us that are professionals and actually take pride in what we do. Good luck in your search!

Curious, what are you doing with the 125?

Fees are part of buying any motor vehicle. Omvic has us pretty heavily regulated on how we show what. Freight and fees are handed down from the manufacturer/government, the admin can be played with. If the mark up on bikes is similar structure to cars, you probably won't have much room anyway on a lower priced one like that so see what they can do with the admin or maybe warranty/accessories to get your best value.

Negotiating power depends on how good you and the other guy are at it lol, and how badly he wants to sell it. Check out the supershow in January, you might get a good deal there.

Not all of us are slimy lol, but yeah unfortunately the bad ones seem to outnumber those of us that are professionals and actually take pride in what we do. Good luck in your search!

Curious, what are you doing with the 125?

Totally get that slimy doesn't apply to all dealer salespeople. I just understand that commission is basically the main way to make a solid chunk of change, so I can see why people would be more aggressive at vehicle sales than in other industries. I don't knock them for it, its just the game - I have to learn to play it haha.

The 125 will be sold, I only have room in the stable for one bike.

but it's not a single, close but just not the same.

Definitely totally different bikes, but I can live with both and would likely enjoy both. The 300r would win out in terms of looks and insurance (possibly), and would still serve 90% of my needs. Might also be more fun due to the light weight.

the 500 would do what the 300 does in terms of commuting, but would also make my trips up north a little more pleasant and would theoretically allow me to travel further - though I know plenty of people travel on tiny bikes, just wouldn't be very comfy on the 125 for me personally.

Totally get that slimy doesn't apply to all dealer salespeople. I just understand that commission is basically the main way to make a solid chunk of change, so I can see why people would be more aggressive at vehicle sales than in other industries. I don't knock them for it, its just the game - I have to learn to play it haha.

The 125 will be sold, I only have room in the stable for one bike.
Commission on a low price vehicle isn't much, most are a flat fee per unit at that point. That's what I meant about not much room, you can't expect huge discounts as most msrp is a percentage over cost and on a 5k ish bike that's not a lot. But many of them are structured for volume bonus...so if you can find a salesperson that is one or two units away from hitting bonus he might be more willing to haggle.

It's funny, because I do it for a living I'm such a laydown when I'm buying because I empathize with the salesperson lol

I still like the, pick it up at the scarborough Honda warehouse in a crate,
I'm pretty sure I can put it together and get a guy to road certify it real easy
%$#@ the salesman profits and his little service department too

Honestly, I'd consider finding a used CB500F or even CB300F. I sold mine for 3500$ and you can find one for the price of a brand new 300 all day long.

These aren't bikes that are beat to hell and back, more commuters and lead a less harsh life.

The only reason I bought my 250 brand new, is because it just came out, and the used ones were like 300-500 less than brand new. Never again.

Honestly, I'd consider finding a used CB500F or even CB300F. I sold mine for 3500$ and you can find one for the price of a brand new 300 all day long.

These aren't bikes that are beat to hell and back, more commuters and lead a less harsh life.

The only reason I bought my 250 brand new, is because it just came out, and the used ones were like 300-500 less than brand new. Never again.

300f I'm not really interested in. If I can't insure a 500f and decide to not get a new (or find a used?) 300r, I'll probably look elsewhere.

500f's can easily be had for the price of a new 300r, but if insurance will be prohibitive (my main factor), then I might as well get a 300 I will truly like and ride that for 4 years until I have a long and clean record to get cheaper insurance with in future. Hopefully.

At the end of the day if paying a bit more to get new vs paying through the arse in insurance is a deciding factor, I'd rather get new as it will save me more money and leave me with a nice bike regardless. Ideally I'd avoid both and just get the 500 and cheap ins lol.

300f I'm not really interested in. If I can't insure a 500f and decide to not get a new (or find a used?) 300r, I'll probably look elsewhere.

500f's can easily be had for the price of a new 300r, but if insurance will be prohibitive (my main factor), then I might as well get a 300 I will truly like and ride that for 4 years until I have a long and clean record to get cheaper insurance with in future. Hopefully.

At the end of the day if paying a bit more to get new vs paying through the arse in insurance is a deciding factor, I'd rather get new as it will save me more money and leave me with a nice bike regardless. Ideally I'd avoid both and just get the 500 and cheap ins lol.
When I went from the 250 to the 500...I think my insurance went up maybe $100/year. So wasn't a big deal but I was early 30s.

When I went from the 250 to the 500...I think my insurance went up maybe $100/year. So wasn't a big deal but I was early 30s.

Yeah, I'm 22, live downtown. Difference between a 125 and 250 for me was negligible from what I recall, I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread (don't remember, lazy to check).

Hopefully since the 500 is not classified as a sport bike, it wont go up more more either.

I see an old Ride for Sight pin on there but the year bar is flipped up! What year was that, WingBoy?
There were about 6 on there i think.A few of them are on the shoulder of a road somewhere.I didn't collect the bars till 95.I think our first trip to Fenelon Falls was in 1991.Not sure.
et1SvBV.jpg

Speaking of winter negotiating power - how late can I wait until that flex becomes powerless? February? earlier?

If you see something you like, it might be worth asking if you can put $500 or $1000 down for now and have them hold it over winter until you take delivery in April (Snow City was more than happy to do this for me!)
That way you get free storage and pay the remaining off when you go to pick it up.

This would also give you a little more time to save up and buy additional gear/accessories as well, if needed.

Thanks for the tip @POWERMAN !

Got a call back from M&W yesterday. Was a very quick 2 minute call, but They quoted me $4000 for full coverage on a CB300R? So... double what I pay now... They said they don't have access to Echelon quotes until Jan for some reason or another, so I will have to call again in 2020.

Was a little (very) absurd to hear, at that point didn't even feel like getting a quote for the CB500f. I didn't mention over the phone that I took RTI but I did mention it in my initial message, maybe the guy on the phone didn't have access to my initial inquiry. Nevertheless, I doubt taking rider training would save me $1500-2000 on insurance lol...

That call was a bit disconcerting, so I am reverting back to the 300 quite heavily if anything for the insurance, if I can even get a rate that isn't just mind blowingly absurd.

Never request a quote for "full coverage"
start with the absolute minimum required by law and make them up-sell you on their 'what if' over-charges.

... believe it or not, even having a good credit rating can reduce your premiums by an itsie-bitsy amount.

Call that guy who has been spamming us and saying he can get you great service and a great rate.

Never request a quote for "full coverage"
start with the absolute minimum required by law and make them up-sell you on their 'what if' over-charges.

... believe it or not, even having a good credit rating can reduce your premiums by an itsie-bitsy amount.

Call that guy who has been spamming us and saying he can get you great service and a great rate.

Noted! Will do that. Thanks :)

My credit is pretty good. A little above national average I think? Though they didn't check my credit when I went with Echelon last spring.

Edit: Can you link me to "that guy who has been spamming us and saying he can get you great service and a great rate."?

Back
Top Bottom