Thoughts on CB500F? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on CB500F?

@MaksTO If you're in any professional designation / group / union check if they have preferred insurance groups they deal with. We are with TD and no matter how I try I can't get any other companies to match, let alone beat the Meloche Monnex rates.

I just did a quote with Riders Plus -- they came back with a $5/difference between sizes. CB125R $22/mo, CB300F $27/mo and a CB500F $32/mo.

Do you know any insurance brokers, OP?
Might help save you a lot of time if you are able to get a hold of one or two.

FWIW, my current policy was set up by Matthew Camacho @Allstate - I believe he supports this forum as well..might be worth a shot?

So riders got back to me via email, said 307/mo (about $3600/year) for the 300r atm with Echelon. Said that might go down in the new year when the policy on my bike is up for renewal. Current quote is too high for me when I am paying 202/mo on my 125, which is already high.

Will also contact the other recommendations here. Guess that's my Wednesday plans haha..

Would this one be of interest? Seen today at GP Bikes. Has some aftermarket bling and a fender eliminator. Almost brand new.

c71256ae0c59d0602be0f87bb7ae2a36.jpg

2060ebb92cbbbf678a03912514e36295.jpg

0ad276e118d5f9b3242e08fa0aac9c4e.jpg

The salesman also mentioned a couple of young M2 riders getting favourable insurance rates at the Co-operators. Give 'em a call.

Looks cool!

Kind of pushing to get a black one - but if this one sticks around for a while I may go look at it too.

@MaksTO If you're in any professional designation / group / union check if they have preferred insurance groups they deal with. We are with TD and no matter how I try I can't get any other companies to match, let alone beat the Meloche Monnex rates.
Unfortunately not applicable to me :(

Do you know any insurance brokers, OP?
Might help save you a lot of time if you are able to get a hold of one or two.

FWIW, my current policy was set up by Matthew Camacho @Allstate - I believe he supports this forum as well..might be worth a shot?

I don't personally know any. My main contact last year was Jordan at Dalton Timmis. Making a spreadsheet of all the reco's here and will give them all a ring Wed.

Sorry for mass replies by the way everyone...

So riders got back to me via email, said 307/mo (about $3600/year) for the 300r atm with Echelon. Said that might go down in the new year when the policy on my bike is up for renewal. Current quote is too high for me when I am paying 202/mo on my 125, which is already high.

Will also contact the other recommendations here. Guess that's my Wednesday plans haha..
That's a crazy amount for insurance. Have you tried the direct companies - Desjardins, Cooperators or TD? I can't believe they charge you 10x what it costs me for a 300cc bike - that's outrageous.

That's a crazy amount for insurance. Have you tried the direct companies - Desjardins, Cooperators or TD? I can't believe they charge you 10x what it costs me for a 300cc bike - that's outrageous.
It really is insane...

I think it's my age/lack of experience.

At this rate 300f looks good - at least I'd save a few grand on the bike. Aesthetics aside. New is looking like a worse and worse option by the day. This is why I like this forum - despite MC's being senselessly expensive, y'all do a great job of helping me talk through this and look for more affordable options.

I am once again starting to broaden my options to just anything with a little more juice than a 125 to make it more usable outside of the city limits - while not gouging my coffers.

To be honest, if I was you I would stick with what you have until those numbers change for some reason.
Untill then rear sets fairing tallest gearing possible and clip ons :cool:

I sat in front of my fireplace one day and burned old insurance receipts, for a while I was burning them one at a time and adding up how much I have donated those guys over the decades, but once it exceeded the cost of a real nice house, I chucked the whole stack of paper in because it was too depressing to contemplate. That's what you have to look forward to :|
That's why you go with just liability. A few years down the line and you have saved afew bikes worth of $$.

That's why you go with just liability. A few years down the line and you have saved afew bikes worth of $$.
Always have unless the additional stuff was super cheap additional.

Interesting, I assumed I should get pretty good coverage in general (along with fire+theft) so that I am not screwed if I am in an accident. God forbid.

Chris from SurNet got back to me with a candid response, Said the 300r is generally between 5-8k form insurers???? he told me to get a rebel 300 cuz he'd save me a boatload that way.

F***, at this point I might just get a damned TU250 to get the look I want (if I'm gonna have a slow bike, I might as well like looking at it :p) and hopefully save a bunch that way...

Interesting, I assumed I should get pretty good coverage in general (along with fire+theft) so that I am not screwed if I am in an accident. God forbid.

Chris from SurNet got back to me with a candid response, Said the 300r is generally between 5-8k form insurers???? he told me to get a rebel 300 cuz he'd save me a boatload that way.

F***, at this point I might just get a damned TU250 to get the look I want (if I'm gonna have a slow bike, I might as well like looking at it :p) and hopefully save a bunch that way...
Rebels, for that matter all cruisers, and enduro type bikes will be the cheapest. They are raked for easy and stable handling and their tuning bias to torque over HP makes them easier and more forgiving to ride.

As for collision, I don't think it's worthwhile for young riders unless you are mandated to do so by using bike financing. First off, your bikes are generally not too expensive, used parts are readily available and usually cheap for beginner bikes. It's not uncommon for an insurer to write off a bike you could fix yourself for a few hundred bucks, so for the cost of the deductible and a little work on your own part you can avoid a claim. The worst case if your bike is a total loss -- you have no coverage and you absorb the loss. If you are insured and file a claim, you will undoubtedly see a monstrous increase in insurance in subsequent years, likely taking you for more than they paid out.

Wow that's expensive for insurance. I guess at that price you're kind of stuck with the sub-500cc class.

I read/heard that the R3 is great. But if it was b/w the CBR300 and the CB300F, I'd personally jump onto the CB300R. Love the look of it, and it does everything the CBR300 would do.

You want cheaper, go for the CBR250. Bike will do everything the 300 will do, but at $1000 less or so.

Last edited:
agree with skipping collision for an affordable bike
in most cases for a new rider you couldn't afford the claim anyway

but for riders with no group health insurance through work
I'd highly recommend enhanced accident benefits

doesn't take much of a bike accident to end up immobile for a bit

Thanks guys. Good point re the fact that even if I make a claim it will cripple my insurance to the point I wont be able to ride anymore. Better to eat the cost and that way be able to get on the road sooner.

So the plan then is getting quotes for most basic legally required insurance, and possibly adding enhanced AB (I did this on my current bike, I think 2 or 3 mil or something instead of the 1mil required).

@mimico_polak I agree, the 300r is beautiful. Chris South told me ins on the f and r models will be identical - I don't know why the rates are so high for those bikes since they shouldn't fall into the sport category. Ugh.

cbr250 is ok, but I really wanna move away from beasts with fairings I think. I like a clean and simple look + the ease of getting into the bikes guts without worrying about plastics and stuff. Minor inconvenience but its mostly aesthetic for me honestly.

hmm, wonder what other low cc nakeds are on the market that would be worth considering. Even considering a low cc dual sport like a drz400 if I can find one relatively unmolested and for a good price (provided ins is doable).

Fairings can be a pain when you have to spend half an hour taking them off to do some basic stuff.

250 can be blacklisted for reasons other than being sport. My CBX250 was blacklisted. It maxed out at 120km/h with a 130lb or less rider with gear.....
My guess is that it was blacklisted because it had a lot of claims against that model. Was used as a training bike by some of the schools and probably got bought by many beginners....so possible claims.

Fairings can be a pain when you have to spend half an hour taking them off to do some basic stuff.

250 can be blacklisted for reasons other than being sport. My CBX250 was blacklisted. It maxed out at 120km/h with a 130lb or less rider with gear.....
My guess is that it was blacklisted because it had a lot of claims against that model. Was used as a training bike by some of the schools and probably got bought by many beginners....so possible claims.

makes sense - guess the 300f might have had a bad track record with insurance companies and the r had that bad faith grandfathered in... damn...

Back
Top Bottom