Thoughts on CB500F? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on CB500F?

Every now and then I see a little ninja 250 hauling ass just zipping away with all shes got on the 400's :ROFLMAO:
A sight to behold and a chuckle at the same time

Perhaps the others can chime in, but I feel the engine configuration would be more important than size when it comes to 400 series
(singles vs twins)
I could get right along on a 250 single but a larger single would always be a little bit better yet.
I had a 350 four cylinder Honda that was a blast on 401 when the speed limit was 70 mph so you might be onto something.

... says the 140 pound rider.

Every now and then I see a little ninja 250 hauling ass just zipping away with all shes got on the 400's
A sight to behold and a chuckle at the same time

Perhaps the others can chime in, but I feel the engine configuration would be more important than size when it comes to 400 series
(singles vs twins)
Once I got used to the screaming engine and wind trying to blow me over I realized my ninja 300 is actually pretty good at or slightly above legal speeds. I'm 6ft2 and 200ish pounds so I'm sure a smaller rider would be quite comfy on one.

Once I got used to the screaming engine and wind trying to blow me over I realized my ninja 300 is actually pretty good at or slightly above legal speeds. I'm 6ft2 and 200ish pounds so I'm sure a smaller rider would be quite comfy on one.

hmm, at 6'1 and 155, I might be ok then.

300's are also much more easily in my price range at least new. That being said I also don't think I am in a financial position where buying new would be considered an intelligent choice. Though I can save 5 grand for spring, I might be better off getting a used bike that will possibly retain resale value. Though that's a question for r/personalfinance lol! Unless I just keep the damn thing forever...

Every time I think of bigger things (i.e sv650) I just remember the regularcarreviews guy haha.

I fit in the buy it new and keep it forever category, the ones I don't still have,
I wish I had them too :| but I have a wife instead.
... had her forever too.

hmm, at 6'1 and 155, I might be ok then.

300's are also much more easily in my price range at least new. That being said I also don't think I am in a financial position where buying new would be considered an intelligent choice. Though I can save 5 grand for spring, I might be better off getting a used bike that will possibly retain resale value. Though that's a question for r/personalfinance lol! Unless I just keep the damn thing forever...

Every time I think of bigger things (i.e sv650) I just remember the regularcarreviews guy haha.
Buying a bike is not an intelligent choice, especially new lol but that's not why we do it.

I've ridden a cbr125r and loved that little bike, so light and flickable if a bit light on power. Having said that, going to a 300 was not as small a step up as I thought it would be. It's a fun bike and reasonable cost to own/operate.

I got my 2016 ninja 300 brand new @ 5k in 2017 july, , used it for 2 years and traded it in for 2k. Felt like I got scammed but I did push the bike a lot and honestly it's like $100/ month which is much cheaper than if I had to insure a car, parking space, etc. And all the smiles that came along with it. Found out later on someone picked up my bike for 2.5k, and it needed new tires chains etc, so that made me feel a bit better.. I don't think op can go wrong with anything that fits in his budget and between the 3-500cc range used. Comes down to just comfort and budget.. cause I don't think any brand in this cc category is 'superior' to another. You're just using it as a stepping stone til insurance rates drop and by then you'll have few more years under your belt and know what YOU want.

Too much talk about "highway capable".If the Hwy is 400 series,then yes,a 300 or 250 could be scarey in a flow of 130kph drivers all wanting to get behind the pace car. If you are talking about secondary highways with 80kmh limits,then no problem. Personally i don't consider any 400 series hwy mc friendly and avoid them at all cost.
I spent plenty of time on highways riding 250s. Cruiser type 2500/300s (Vstar, Rebel, Marauder), and the Honda and Suzy 250s sport/standards are iffy, they simply don't make enough power to keep up with 120-130 traffic. An R3, Ninja 250/350/400, BMW310, or later CB300 will do, they can cruise comfortably at 130 all day and will burst to 150 with a 200lb rider -- not as much power as I wanted but more power than I ever needed. I never felt blown around, they are quite slippery and they have a small side profile -- don't believe it when they say you will be blown around -- I found mine to be just fine and I ride through anything.

Had a 2017 cb500f for 34000km. Rode it everywhere. Fuel range and economy is amazing even when you are giving it the beans. Over 350km per tank on normal riding.

As for the sportiness, the engine really hamstrings it. It's got fantastic low end power for a "beginner" bike but the super low rev limit means you spend a lot of time trying to stay in the power band in the twisties. That's not a bad thing at all mind you but you definitely won't get to enjoy the full throttle pull uninterrupted for very long at all.

Ergos are very comfy and the seat is very very plush. The bike is very heavy compared to its peers but the balance is good. The foot pegs are very comfy but scrape way too soon. The dash ('13-'18) is legible and concise but lacks a gear indicator.

Highway is no problem at all. Enough power to easily deal with any car. Zero problems accelerating to passing speeds. You can pin the throttle all day long and it won't complain. You can still qualify for automatic stunt driving tickets no problem.

all in all, it's not a bad bike to have owned but it's definitely a commuter and very uninspired. It's the brown paper bag lunch of motorcycles; cheap to maintain, conservatively styled, very utilitarian but ultimately very boring.

Last edited:
It's the brown paper bag lunch of motorcycles; cheap to maintain, conservatively styled, very utilitarian but ultimately very boring.
Isn't that the dictionary definition for "Honda"?

I spent plenty of time on highways riding 250s. Cruiser type 2500/300s (Vstar, Rebel, Marauder), and the Honda and Suzy 250s sport/standards are iffy, they simply don't make enough power to keep up with 120-130 traffic. An R3, Ninja 250/350/400, BMW310, or later CB300 will do, they can cruise comfortably at 130 all day and will burst to 150 with a 200lb rider -- not as much power as I wanted but more power than I ever needed. I never felt blown around, they are quite slippery and they have a small side profile -- don't believe it when they say you will be blown around -- I found mine to be just fine and I ride through anything.
Maybe i exaggerated a bit about the lack of 250/300 performance. A lot of you seem to feel just fine about it. I haven't had a bike smaller than 1100cc in about 20 years except for the Honda Rally i bought in a brain fart moment.

Isn't that the dictionary definition for "Honda"?
What is it with the super low rev limits on hondas (non-rr's) lately? It's like they want to limit the fun. I suspect there is probably room to go higher without longevity issues. Just as it starts to make some power you bang into the rev limiter.

What is it with the super low rev limits on hondas (non-rr's) lately? It's like they want to limit the fun. I suspect there is probably room to go higher without longevity issues. Just as it starts to make some power you bang into the rev limiter.
I suspect there is considerable cost savings in manufacturing and warranty support.

... the Honda Rally i bought in a brain fart moment.
What did that one weigh in at, about 2.4 Ossa's? lol and it has the power of about 1 Ossa.

Maybe i exaggerated a bit about the lack of 250/300 performance. A lot of you seem to feel just fine about it. I haven't had a bike smaller than 1100cc in about 20 years except for the Honda Rally i bought in a brain fart moment.
You bought a Rally? Neat little bike, I couldn't really figure out why I would need one, what compelled you to pull the trigger?

You bought a Rally? Neat little bike, I couldn't really figure out why I would need one, what compelled you to pull the trigger?
That's what i thought.Really cool design.Great wind protection,bulletproof engine and drivetrain,Fantastic fuel economy (i got 90 mpg taking it easy).I had just turned 65,retired and thought it was time to toss in the towel kinda because i didn't need the Wing to commute to and from work.
What did that one weigh in at, about 2.4 Ossa's? lol and it has the power of about 1 Ossa.
That p.o.s. weighs 340lb.Claimed power of 24hp (prolly about 18) I had a 1979 Honda XL250S way back in the day and it was a much better bike.But it didn't get 90mpg which is why i put a 500XL tank on it.Used it in the Steel City Riders 6 hour MX several times.

....Used it in the Steel City Riders 6 hour MX several times.
How did it perform,
was that like riding 2 Ossa's strapped together and restricted to half throttle? :LOL:

How did it perform,
was that like riding 2 Ossa's strapped together and restricted to half throttle? :LOL:
It was never last.Fun riding with a Sharpless or Bastedo tho.
1hEvcF5.jpg

On the Honda 500r redline is 8500 and limiter is set at 9000ish. You can raise the rev limit, but power is still between those numbers. You can also remove the factory 6th gear speed limiter.

If you want a no-worry bike that you can push to its limit all the time without worrying too much about getting your license suspended (as it takes quite the mental effort to get there) that will be reliable day in day out, the 500 is your bike.

I you want a bike that summons your passion for riding and that you find sexy and gives you a semi chubby every time you ride it, look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom