Thoughts on 2013 Honda CBR500R? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on 2013 Honda CBR500R?

ninja250r.se

Hey Guys,

I'm considering upgrading from my 2011 Ninja 250 this spring/summer. Looking into the Honda CBR500R. Done a fair amount of research and there's really not that much out there. Bottom line is it's essentially the only bike in it's class (along with it's 2 Honda 500 siblings). My ideal bike is a ZX6R, but wont be able to afford insurance until I'm 25+ (I'm 22). Anyways I'll sum up what I like and what I don't. Feel free to share your opinions!

Things I Like:
Under 600CC (cheap on insurance)
A lot bigger than my ninja
Very Sporty design and paint (I would want the white)
Fuel injected unlike my ninja

Things I don't like:
RPM redline @ 9000....a little low.
Mirrors are pretty ugly
Not a kawasaki ;)
The rear handles on the passenger

I don't have very many bad things to say about it. Biggest thing is the ninja has a 13000 redline...I feel like I would hate the 4000rpm drop. Who knows. Anyways tell me what you guys think! Cheers!
images

What's the concern with the lower redline? Second time I've heard that. I would think you'd enjoy the bottom end torque. I wish they had these bikes when I was your age. They look da bomb.

The CBR250R also has a lower redline then the Ninja 250 and it's rated well. I'd suggest go ride it at a demo day and then see how you like it. That's my plan.

What would be your insurance cost difference between a 500 and a 650?

Are you set on 100% new or have you considered the used market?

wtf does the redline matter? it's a different bike with a different motor and a different transmission and wtf? seriously.

I like knowing I have until 13000 to shift, although I get there pretty fast on the 250. I agree I should test drive it on a ride day before I make a decision. All the bigger sport & supersport bikes redline at 15000+. I just find 9000 abnormally low. Reason for getting this bike would be the upgrade in power and I'd want it to last til I'm 25 then I'll get a supersport kawasaki. I'm not bored of my ninja yet I just think I would be if i kept it til 25. Who knows. I'll call the insurance companies in the spring and it will depend on that. And I'll find out when the ride days on the honda is. Thanks guys.

lower redline isn't much of a concern, if anything it should make the engine more reliable (in theory). It just means they've moved the powerband lower in the rev range so you don't have to wind it out just to pull away from a stop sign.

What would be your insurance cost difference between a 500 and a 650?

Are you set on 100% new or have you considered the used market?

I got my Ninja brand new and I don't regret it. It didn't cost me much more than used. I'm not 100% set on new but preferred. I realize I can get a gsxr600 or an r6 or something around the price of that 500. But its the insurance that is the deciding factor. And it is significantly more for a 650. Don't have an exact number though. I've looked into the the yamaha fz6r and the kawi 650r. Insurance for me is like 8-9000 a year. And I don't like the ride height or the handlebars. I know I'm picky but you have to be when finding your perfect bike. Especially under certain circumstances. (My age, driving record, etc.)

I wouldn't knock it for the lower red line. If anything, it's likely more indicative of a more comfortable power band as opposed to wringing the 250's neck all the time.

The mirrors and seat handles are easy to remove or replace.

The fact that it's a Honda would be a pro in my book ;)

I'm curious to ride one to see how it compares to it's larger sibling. But I wonder, would the 500R be considered a supersport to insurance companies? Even the 600's are mostly under 600cc. I guess it's a good thing it comes in 3 flavours.

There's also the Ninja 300. Maybe a little too similar to the 250 in terms of power output but you've got options.

I wouldn't get too hung up on redline, I'm basically looking at a stunting charge at redline in first, I rarely get even close to redline.
With torque you won't need to ring it's neck to get moving.

"only bike in it's class"

I'm sorry... are you forgetting about the Ninja and GS500. Yes the ninja 500 is discontinued (since '09) but they're still around everywhere and damn cheap to buy also. Not to mention these bikes have been around for ages. Everything there is to know about them has been figured out. Parts are easy to source used (used, undamaged parts are a heck of a lot cheaper than from factory.) Thus I would deem them more reliable.

Moving onto the CBR:
Fuel Injection is amazing.
They look pretty good.
Ugly mirrors are easy to fix (just buy different ones.)

The problem I'd have with it is that it's a new model, thus they're still "testing" it out. They'll release it, people will buy it, it'll have problems, people will notify honda and they'll fix the problems for next-years model.

And if you really want to feel a high redline, the old I4 250's (discontinued in '94, sourcing them in working condition is a little hard) rev up to 20,000 and are rated at ~50-55HP.

I got my Ninja brand new and I don't regret it. It didn't cost me much more than used. I'm not 100% set on new but preferred. I realize I can get a gsxr600 or an r6 or something around the price of that 500. But its the insurance that is the deciding factor. And it is significantly more for a 650. Don't have an exact number though. I've looked into the the yamaha fz6r and the kawi 650r. Insurance for me is like 8-9000 a year. And I don't like the ride height or the handlebars. I know I'm picky but you have to be when finding your perfect bike. Especially under certain circumstances. (My age, driving record, etc.)

Ah, 9000 a year. I don't know how much it will come down if that is what you are at now..yikes.

Good luck in your search, you seem to know what you want. If you ever think of a used 650 let me know. My SV is up for sale and it is a very nice bike.

Ah, 9000 a year. I don't know how much it will come down if that is what you are at now..yikes.

Good luck in your search, you seem to know what you want. If you ever think of a used 650 let me know. My SV is up for sale and it is a very nice bike.

Sorry I should have specified my first year on the 250 was 3000$. The quote i got on a 650 was 9000+ with jevco.

$8000/9000 per year!? Holy crap...I'd never pay that for insurance...Hell I'd take the bus instead.

Sorry I should have specified my first year on the 250 was 3000$. The quote i got on a 650 was 9000+ with jevco.

I'll assume you had a few run in's with the man in blue while driving?

wtf does the redline matter? it's a different bike with a different motor and a different transmission and wtf? seriously.

I love RPM. Gives a bike a split personality between calm, gentlemanly, low RPM cruise around town and wailing banshee, frenzied pull-your-arms-out-of-their-sockets, stress relief.

The 500r looks good. But it seems like a heavy bike with around 50 hp. If your looking to upgrade and your not ready for a SuperSport yet, I would probably go to an SV650 or Ninja 650R. Almost the same weight as the 500r yet with 22 to 25 more HP.

I would look at the 500r as the top end of a beginners bike and not necessarily the next step. Just my opinion from someone whos moved up from a Ninja 250r to a 65Or.

Now having said all that. I've never ridden a 500r since they are a new bike. So it's difficult for me to give an honest unbiased review of the bike.

Last edited:
Check this out: Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums - View Single Post - The 2013 CBR500.

It's a review from a guy who owned a CBR250 and got one of the first CBR500Rs. From what he says it sounds pretty good, there might be minor differences between the 500s being released there compared to here. I'm so stoked to get this bike, I'm not looking to race I just want a bit more power, especially low-mid range and this looks like it delivers. Plus you won't be breaking the bank on fuel and insurance either.

Trust me, as a young guy the difference in insurance when I got quoted (by SF) was greater than $100.00 per month when it came to insuring a 500cc vs a 600cc
Although he did tell me that the quote wasn't definitive and was subject to change. I guess they're waiting to see the popularity of this bike or something?

Last edited:
Will be very interesting to see how this shakes out in the long term. Long, unchanged production run? Aftermarket goodies? Maintain low price? Uber reliable? Maybe pick one up down the road for craps 'n yucks? A poke into eye of big bad biker buddies? Reminds me of mid '70s UJM. Wouldn't be caught dead on, will not die. Perspectives change. Picking up positive buzz.

Back
Top Bottom