Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome...

A naked 300-400 would be fantastic on economy but the rpms at 130+ can get tiring for commuting comfort.

Anything middleweight naked with an aftermarket screen and hard luggage would be great. You get the nimbleness of a handlebar at low speed, the ease of maintenance of having no fairings and generally are cheaper both in insurance and base price.

I love my KTM 790 Duke as a daily street bike that can do anything but something Japanese in the 65hp range would be more appropriate.

Mt07 (if you can even find one for a reasonable price)
Z650 (though I don't think the resale on that is as good)
Sv650

I would stay away from the mt09 due to the thimble of a gas tank. Cb650r, gsxs750, z900 because the engine layout gets you all the disadvantages of an inline 4 for commuting.

My bad, I skimmed the OP and missed that part.

I would DQ the SV650 on the basis of its riding position, but for short commutes it would be fine.

First-gen CB500x with some go-less-slow bits would be my top vote.

Fair point about the DL-650 - buying a bike because it checks out on paper is a mistake I have made more than once.

Something else I just remembered about the Ninja 1000, and a problem you may already be familiar with on the Tuono. I did a short commute on it for a while, and it wasn't necessarily bad, one thing that absolutely drove me crazy was that I almost never had an opportunity to stretch its legs. There would always be a car in front of me at all times. It has a nice motor! But I would almost never know it. Also it takes premium gas surprisingly. I had an earlier model (2011?) and it had literally the worst stock seat I've ever experienced, but that is fixable

I had a 2013 and a 2017 N1K.
The 2017 ran really hot....an emissions thing which I’m sure could have been fixed with an ECU flash, but I wouldn’t have wanted to sit in traffic on it.

How could a KLR be the wrong bike? Unlike LC's beemer suggestion it wouldn't come in 2x over budget. Other than #7&8 it tics most boxes.
I was helping a young feller with his first bike purchase, found a nice klr, 08 with 17000km, certified fir $3500.

When his insurance broker you'd him a midweight cruiser was $1500 to insure, the kid turned into a metric badass.

I’ve got @MacDoc’s 500X and in all honesty your requirement is what it’s built for.

Dependable, economical, and effective commuter. As that…I think it’s hard to beat.

Highly recommend looking into them. Very good for that duty. Hell if I knew what I really wanted that it can’t do…I’d replace it….but the mofo is just that good. And with hard luggage!

View attachment 55192
The price of a used cb500x has risen faster than a 2x4. I was looking for one last week, nothing in the $5k range. Cheapest I saw was 9 years old, $5400.

Fair point about the DL-650 - buying a bike because it checks out on paper is a mistake I have made more than once.

Something else I just remembered about the Ninja 1000, and a problem you may already be familiar with on the Tuono. I did a short commute on it for a while, and it wasn't necessarily bad, one thing that absolutely drove me crazy was that I almost never had an opportunity to stretch its legs. There would always be a car in front of me at all times. It has a nice motor! But I would almost never know it. Also it takes premium gas surprisingly. I had an earlier model (2011?) and it had literally the worst stock seat I've ever experienced, but that is fixable
I think nicer bikes like the Ninja 1000 are off the table for now. Having really hammered down what I want (with huge thanks to everyone in this thread!) and what I'll be using the bike for, there's not much point in looking at something pricier just because it's more suitable for touring. If I'm really honest with myself, distance riding is more of a daydream rather than reality for where I am in life at the moment. If I have a week or more to spare, it'll be with the family or in Italy with the wife.

So the big bikes are no longer in the alert list, it's just middleweights and maxi-scooters left. It's all about getting bang for my buck, and that includes good mileage and cheap insurance.

Don't do it. Riding tired is a big gamble and motorcycle driving on the highway in rush hour sucked.
Haha, fair enough. I have commuted on a bike on and off for most of my life, it's only the last few years that I've gotten out of the habit. I know what I'm in for, and have the luxury of taking the car if I'm not feeling up for riding.

I'm actually curious how often I'll chicken out now that I'm approaching old-farthood. I used to be a rain or shine guy, but definitely not any more...

The V-Stroms are not the best bike in the world and I never liked them before buying one. I even distinctly remember a conversation with a co-worker around '03-04 where he was excited to buy one and I endlessly mocked him over it. Then I was in need of a cheap touring bike and the V-Strom fit the criteria and budget better than any other so I bought one as a stop gap.

Was really surprised that I liked it and found it pretty fun. Nice thing is they are so cheap (generally) that if you don't like it, can sell it without any significant loss. I want to say it cost me $600 in depreciation to ride my V-Strom for 2-3 years and 30,000km's.
I have literally nothing bad to say about the baby Strom. Weirdly, it might be better if I did. I think the issue is more that they don't provoke much feeling in me at all, which is hard to describe. I really need to go look at one, and preferably try it out.

Tiger 660
I wish. Love the Tiger series.

A naked 300-400 would be fantastic on economy but the rpms at 130+ can get tiring for commuting comfort.

Anything middleweight naked with an aftermarket screen and hard luggage would be great. You get the nimbleness of a handlebar at low speed, the ease of maintenance of having no fairings and generally are cheaper both in insurance and base price.
300s are out, just a bit too small. The smallest I'm going is 400 scooters for now, and then the 500 to 750 range for 'real' bikes.

I love my KTM 790 Duke as a daily street bike that can do anything but something Japanese in the 65hp range would be more appropriate.
I like KTM's generally, but reliability is a huge factor here, so they're off the list. I've actually been very, very (very!) tempted by some KTM supermotos, which are absolutely amazing for true urban riding. The problem is they absolutely suck for stop and go.

Mt07 (if you can even find one for a reasonable price)
Z650 (though I don't think the resale on that is as good)
Sv650
Similar to the CB500X, the FZ-07 (MTs are too new for my budget) is tough to get value on.

I would stay away from the mt09 due to the thimble of a gas tank. Cb650r, gsxs750, z900 because the engine layout gets you all the disadvantages of an inline 4 for commuting.
The 650 is the only one I'm looking for of the above, but I'm not expecting to find a good one close enough to my budget. FZ6s come up, but I'm not looking for a revver.

I would DQ the SV650 on the basis of its riding position, but for short commutes it would be fine.
The riding position of the faired SV is not a negative for me comfort-wise. I used to tour on a ZX-10R, and don't mind sportier ergos. The bigger issue for me is that clip-ons force a leaned forward position, which is less ideal for navigating traffic and getting a good view ahead.

First-gen CB500x with some go-less-slow bits would be my top vote.
It's pretty ideal, as I like the look, it's got Honda reliability, and would be cheap to run and insure. It's just hard to find value, as I'm not alone with this shopping list, apparently.

Might be a good deal if the seller is negotiable

Top value, but as stated above, I've changed my mind about bigger bikes. Too much gas, too much insurance, too much weight for a pure commuter. When I'm ready to tour for real, I'll either mod some luggage for the Tuono or get a dedicated mile muncher.

Very much appreciate you looking, though! Apologies for being so impossible...

@Priller No interest in going back to another Hawk GT?
Oh, I always have interest in Hawk GT's. Always. But I'm looking for something I can beat and pile on miles without mercy. Something I can idle in 45C heat without a glance at the temp gauge, start and ride away immediately without warm-up, get home in a rainstorm and just park it without a wash, scrape and drop without tears, and generally abuse guilt-free.

I love the GT too much and they're getting too rare, so I'd end up babying it, which then defeats the purpose. In typing that, I've realised I want something that I hate a little bit, which perhaps explains the attraction to Burgmans that I can't seem to shake...

Thanks all very much for your input (and keep it coming, even if I'm not always heeding the advice!) Lots of great ideas, and lots of practical experience. I know a V-Strom should be top of list, so maybe I'll go look at one to see if I can find it in me to either love or hate them more.

I'm still very tempted by the practicality of the bigger scooters, though, especially at my meagre price point. I've recently discovered the BMW C650GT, which would be top of list if they weren't so bloody expensive. The C400GT would probably be a better fit, but they pretty much don't exist used (except for one over-optimistic seller who's dangerously close to MSRP on a new one). The Honda Silver Wing and Yamaha Majesty 400 are both too ugly for me, but there are a couple Piaggio MP3's out there that are tempting just for the pure wack factor (even though it would make my claims about wanting reliability out to be pure lies...)

Buy a 650 Strom - ride for 300k km - sell for same price - been there done that - best 3k I ever spent.Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at May, 24    2022    2.17.31 PM.jpg
bought for 3k with farkles and certified with 93k km on it - sold with 120. - zero stuff needed.

So...

Picking up this bad mamma jamma later today:

IMG_20220606_091849.jpg

2007 Burgman 400, ~11,000 kms, basically mint, dead stock (complete with all warning stickers). Stored indoors, annual maintenance by a Suzuki shop, and only used for lazy Sunday rides in the country. Having chatted at length with the seller, I'm convinced she's honest. Started first spin on a cold motor, no fuss, no muss.

I ultimately wanted to try the maxi-scooter thing, mostly because of the traffic simplicity and easy storage, so no Wee-Strom for me. I was cross shopping with the Yamaha TMax (sporty!), Piaggio MP3 (wacky!), Honda Forza (pretty!) and BMW C650GT (luxurious!), but pickings were slim and mostly massively overpriced. I just missed a clean 2013 C650 for $6500 (sold between scheduling to look at it and actually looking at it), and the others were beat examples for too much cash. There is one 2009 TMax out there for silly money, didn't see another. A few MP3's are kicking around, but I worried about the maintenance of the locking front end. I think the Forza is absolutely gorgeous in a futuristic way, but the small motor and smaller storage were just a bit shy of my wants. I didn't even look at the porky 650, as the 400 is fine on the highway for shorter runs and I don't plan to do any touring.

It's good on gas, cheap on insurance (<$400/yr), and narrow enough to cut through traffic without too much fuss. Most importantly, there's enough storage under the seat for two full-face helmets, or variations therein. As is my habit, I'm already pricing out suspension upgrades, and I may also fiddle with aftermarket rollers etc. Otherwise, I might pop the Givi supersized adjustable screen on, but that should be it...

Watch out, rockers. There's a new mod in the neighbourhood. Etc.

Don't grab a handful of "clutch" (like I did once) while pulling into a driveway!
After driving exclusively standard for a long time, I drove an automatic and had a similar mental hiccup. Clutch foot caught the edge of the wide brake pedal and the stop was far more abrupt than anticipated. Similar issues coming from BMW where starter on new bike was in turn signal location on old bike. Muscle memory is a ***** when you switch vehicles.

Don't grab a handful of "clutch" (like I did once) while pulling into a driveway!
Oh, it's going to happen sooner or later, guaranteed. If I just chirp the rear tire, I'll be relieved.

Watched a review of the BMW C650 scooter, and they flipped the horn and signal buttons, with the horn on top (classic BMW), so the tester was complaining that he was forever beeping when he meant to signal.

So...

Picking up this bad mamma jamma later today:

View attachment 55489

2007 Burgman 400, ~11,000 kms, basically mint, dead stock (complete with all warning stickers). Stored indoors, annual maintenance by a Suzuki shop, and only used for lazy Sunday rides in the country. Having chatted at length with the seller, I'm convinced she's honest. Started first spin on a cold motor, no fuss, no muss.

I ultimately wanted to try the maxi-scooter thing, mostly because of the traffic simplicity and easy storage, so no Wee-Strom for me. I was cross shopping with the Yamaha TMax (sporty!), Piaggio MP3 (wacky!), Honda Forza (pretty!) and BMW C650GT (luxurious!), but pickings were slim and mostly massively overpriced. I just missed a clean 2013 C650 for $6500 (sold between scheduling to look at it and actually looking at it), and the others were beat examples for too much cash. There is one 2009 TMax out there for silly money, didn't see another. A few MP3's are kicking around, but I worried about the maintenance of the locking front end. I think the Forza is absolutely gorgeous in a futuristic way, but the small motor and smaller storage were just a bit shy of my wants. I didn't even look at the porky 650, as the 400 is fine on the highway for shorter runs and I don't plan to do any touring.

It's good on gas, cheap on insurance (<$400/yr), and narrow enough to cut through traffic without too much fuss. Most importantly, there's enough storage under the seat for two full-face helmets, or variations therein. As is my habit, I'm already pricing out suspension upgrades, and I may also fiddle with aftermarket rollers etc. Otherwise, I might pop the Givi supersized adjustable screen on, but that should be it...

Watch out, rockers. There's a new mod in the neighbourhood.

congrats

Liquid cooled single 400 enough for the highway?

congrats

Liquid cooled single 400 enough for the highway?

Thanks! It's no Africa Twin, but it fills a gap in the garage. Stable is up to three now, with room for a fourth eventually (VFR800? Sprint ST? Time will tell...)

'Enough' is the operative word for the highway. Barely. Apparently one will top out at about 140 kmh (true, with well over 150 indicated) and travel in buzzy semi-comfort at true 120. Considering traffic that thinks it's flowing at 120 is usually doing closer to 110 true speed, it'll get me where I need to go. Most of my commute is at or under 100, so it'll be totally fine for that. I did look closely at the BMW 650 scooter, but the high sale prices and much worse fuel economy made the whole point of getting a scooter kind of meaningless....

Back
Top Bottom