Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome...

You are brave taking that on the highway
Why? I put thousands (close to 30k) on a 125 and 250 within a few years.

Never an issue keeping up. The 125 struggled at times…but indicated 130 max speed.

As for the smaller wheels…that’s my only concern. But considering it’s popular and in the market…should be good.

Congrats! That will do the trick nicely.

Thanks! It's an experiment, but should be fun. Worst case, I sell for no loss and get that DL-650 everyone was telling me to buy...

You are brave taking that on the highway

I'm hardly the first. These things are all over the highways in Europe, and their limits are no lower than ours. I think taking my Tuono out has higher risk, and that's reflected in the insurance premiums...

It's also physically much bigger and heavier than the Tuono. The wheelbase is massive.

Why? I put thousands (close to 30k) on a 125 and 250 within a few years.

Never an issue keeping up. The 125 struggled at times…but indicated 130 max speed.

As for the smaller wheels…that’s my only concern. But considering it’s popular and in the market…should be good.

14" front and 13" rear, so not too weenie. There's a Vespa 300 that still has tiny wheels that can apparently be a bit of a handful over grooved pavement.

According to what I've heard, the worst bit is how they catch crosswinds, as there's a lot more surface area than a typical motorcycle.

Watched a review of the BMW C650 scooter, and they flipped the horn and signal buttons, with the horn on top (classic BMW), so the tester was complaining that he was forever beeping when he meant to signal.

For some reason Aprilia did the same on the SXV, but not their other models (that I'm aware of), and I don't understand why. Obviously not an Italian thing if BMW does it too.

So...

Picking up this bad mamma jamma later today:

View attachment 55489

2007 Burgman 400, ~11,000 kms, basically mint, dead stock (complete with all warning stickers). Stored indoors, annual maintenance by a Suzuki shop, and only used for lazy Sunday rides in the country. Having chatted at length with the seller, I'm convinced she's honest. Started first spin on a cold motor, no fuss, no muss.

I ultimately wanted to try the maxi-scooter thing, mostly because of the traffic simplicity and easy storage, so no Wee-Strom for me. I was cross shopping with the Yamaha TMax (sporty!), Piaggio MP3 (wacky!), Honda Forza (pretty!) and BMW C650GT (luxurious!), but pickings were slim and mostly massively overpriced. I just missed a clean 2013 C650 for $6500 (sold between scheduling to look at it and actually looking at it), and the others were beat examples for too much cash. There is one 2009 TMax out there for silly money, didn't see another. A few MP3's are kicking around, but I worried about the maintenance of the locking front end. I think the Forza is absolutely gorgeous in a futuristic way, but the small motor and smaller storage were just a bit shy of my wants. I didn't even look at the porky 650, as the 400 is fine on the highway for shorter runs and I don't plan to do any touring.

It's good on gas, cheap on insurance (<$400/yr), and narrow enough to cut through traffic without too much fuss. Most importantly, there's enough storage under the seat for two full-face helmets, or variations therein. As is my habit, I'm already pricing out suspension upgrades, and I may also fiddle with aftermarket rollers etc. Otherwise, I might pop the Givi supersized adjustable screen on, but that should be it...

Watch out, rockers. There's a new mod in the neighbourhood. Etc.

Congrats!

Hope to see you at the track with that beast! :D

Don't grab a handful of "clutch" (like I did once) while pulling into a driveway!

I've ridden lots of scooters before and there's something about having your knees almost touching together, and your feet not doing anything that constantly reminds you "this isn't a real motorcycle", so I've never had the accidental pull-in-the-rear-brake moment.

I've ridden lots of scooters before and there's something about having your knees almost touching together, and your feet not doing anything that constantly reminds you "this isn't a real motorcycle", so I've never had the accidental pull-in-the-rear-brake moment.
My moment was on a demo ride....Cycle City.
I made it through the whole ride, uneventful as I recall.
As the group was pulling into the parking lot, it came to an abrupt stop, just as I was turning in. Instinct took over, and I grabbed that lever on the left, hard & fast.....(why wouldn't I, it's a clutch after all). Well, I kept the shiny side up......some how.

My moment was on a demo ride....Cycle City.
I made it through the whole ride, uneventful as I recall.
As the group was pulling into the parking lot, it came to an abrupt stop, just as I was turning in. Instinct took over, and I grabbed that lever on the left, hard & fast.....(why wouldn't I, it's a clutch after all). Well, I kept the shiny side up......some how.

I've had several muscle memory moments as well:

My buddy let me ride his GP-shift motorcycle. I was hopping that rear tire every time I tried upshifting and downshifted by mistake.
I rode a trike once, and the first time taking off, found that I was push-steering that thing in absolutely the wrong direction.
I rode a snowbike and had to constantly remind myself that it would balance itself at stops and not to put my left foot down into 3 feet of powder, unless I wanted to be buried up to my waist trying to get back onto the snowbike when the pegs are at eye level...

My buddy let me ride his GP-shift motorcycle. I was hopping that rear tire every time I tried upshifting and downshifted by mistake.
Memories. Same thing happened to me, buddy let me ride his converted 750gsxr. I was lost after 1st gear. I went with the brakes to slow it.
Strange thing is.....it was my bike originally.....I sold it to him.

For some reason Aprilia did the same on the SXV, but not their other models (that I'm aware of), and I don't understand why. Obviously not an Italian thing if BMW does it too.

Oh man, somebody has a nicely done SXV up for sale for not a lot of cash, and I made the mistake of favouriting the ad. Every time I'd scroll through, I'd see it and have to talk myself out of it. A DR-Z400SM was easy to ignore, but the SXV not so much...

Congrats!

Hope to see you at the track with that beast! :D

Could be a lot of fun on the shorter layouts at Grand Bend or Shannonville, I think. There are pics of folks dragging knees (barely and in a contortionist a-frame style) on one, maybe easier with the centre stand removed...

Memories. Same thing happened to me, buddy let me ride his converted 750gsxr. I was lost after 1st gear. I went with the brakes to slow it.
Strange thing is.....it was my bike originally.....I sold it to him.

Thought I'd be clever and set my RC51 track bike up with GP shift on my first ever session with it. Nope. Bad idea. Spent every braking and exit zone second guessing myself, and much like putting in a USB plug in upside down, getting it wrong every time. Got swapped back to street pattern immediately. I may try again, but to put it mildly, my limits at the track have nothing to do with the shift pattern...

down to go..down to go,,down to go
keep telling yourself that

schwantz didn't make the switch to gp shift-kept his race bikes standard shift. So you're in good company lol

I think some of the fellas had concerns that perhaps a 400 bike is not the same league as a 400 scooter performance and power wise, hence all the highway questions, but it sounds like it should do fine

Oh man, somebody has a nicely done SXV up for sale for not a lot of cash, and I made the mistake of favouriting the ad. Every time I'd scroll through, I'd see it and have to talk myself out of it. A DR-Z400SM was easy to ignore, but the SXV not so much...

LOL! Same thing when I see a bike on Kijiji or FB, I bookmark it, but secretly hope that someone else buys it before I work up the courage to go to the bank and move some money around...

There's about 3 bikes that I tell myself if I ever see on sale, I would snap up in a hearbeat. But then they show up in the classifieds and I have to come up with BS excuses not to pick it up.

"Oh, biposto. Was looking for a monoposto"
"Oh, wrong colour."
"Oh, wrong year."
"Oh, it's Tuesday today.... Bad time to buy a bike.."

I think some of the fellas had concerns that perhaps a 400 bike is not the same league as a 400 scooter performance and power wise, hence all the highway questions, but it sounds like it should do fine

So I picked it up from the seller tonight in Toronto (Woodbine and Danforth), and after some wobbling around getting a feel for the light steering and how the power comes in, I was off. In the pouring rain, of course, because, well, of course.

Started down Lakeshore to try it at speed with an exit strategy, which I wouldn't have once I jumped on the highway. Got it up to 100 past Ontario Place, but only briefly, as there was a speed trap in the opposite direction. So from there it was onto the Gardiner at Jameson.

I'm happy to report that it's totally fine on the highway. Stable, and I got it up to a theoretical top speed sonewhere past 150, which I suspect is closer to a real speed of around 140ish. I cruised in the left lane at 120-130 indicated, and the scooter never felt stressed or at the limit. The only issue was pickup at that speed is, uh, leisurely, and I got caught a couple times thinking I was on a real bike only to discover I couldn't teleport into that gap like I could on the Tuono.

Pluses include decent distance (needle barely budged by the time I rolled into Hamilton), good wind protection (despite the pissing rain, only the outside of my legs and my gloves got really soaked), comfort, effortless handling, and the CVT really is fun carving up traffic. Storage is hilariously huge, with two cubbies, a big glovebox, and the huge bin under the seat.

Cons are the windscreen directs blast right into my visor, so as is, it's the loudest bike I've ever been on. The roar in my ears was absolutely deafening. A Givi adjustable screen will be ordered with expedited shipping. Other than that, the front brake is soft while the rear really bites, which means you have to pull the right lever harder than the left. And the biggest con is the soft power delivery that feels like it's filtered through a rubber band (which I suppose it is).

All in all, I think it'll do what I need it to very well. Not bad for $3500...

down to go..down to go,,down to go
keep telling yourself that

schwantz didn't make the switch to gp shift-kept his race bikes standard shift. So you're in good company lol

Down to go was relatively easy. Up to slow was the hard part, because I had a ZX-7R track bike that needed firm input, which gave me the habit of using my whole foot to bang down the gears. I think my biggest mistake was trying GP shift when the whole bike was new to me, so it was a bit of sensory overload...

(And I think that may be the only thing Schwantz and I have in common...)

LOL! Same thing when I see a bike on Kijiji or FB, I bookmark it, but secretly hope that someone else buys it before I work up the courage to go to the bank and move some money around...

There's about 3 bikes that I tell myself if I ever see on sale, I would snap up in a hearbeat. But then they show up in the classifieds and I have to come up with BS excuses not to pick it up.

"Oh, biposto. Was looking for a monoposto"
"Oh, wrong colour."
"Oh, wrong year."
"Oh, it's Tuesday today.... Bad time to buy a bike.."

Boy, that all sounds familiar, but I have a solution: put a kid through university at the same time as buying a boat. That'll destroy your discretionary spending budget, no more temptation that you can actually follow through on!

Terrible financial planning aside, an SXV is on my list. Any Hawk GT. Little (<500 cc) sportbikes, especially Japanese grey imports or any racy two-stroke. 2nd gen RSV1000s. Clean, green ZX-7Rs. CBR900/929/954R. Original Ducati Streetfighter. First gen of the Speed Triple 1050 series (those rims!). And any newer Africa Twin in that white/blue/red scheme. All of these will make me stop scrolling and click that 'save' button to make sure they torture me later. When you get a price drop, it's even worse...

Careful, @MacDoc can make fun of you now, Scooter. Seems like a decent commuter, especially when you can afford two.

Congrats ...was never attracted to the 400 as the technology on the 650 is much better and got 100,000 trouble free km out of a 2005 and 2009 with only a battery each needed and a good few tires ( that small rear tire gets hot and wears quickly. )

I was the other way when switching back ...stalled the damn KLR650 a few times forgetting I need to clutch.

Lots of good info on the 400 here

Why should I make fun? ...it's a good bike tho the too often belt chain put me off it. The storage on them is wonderful as is the weather protection. The 650 Exec had heated grips and adjustable windscreen and an Daylong seat with a backrest ....longest day was 950 km doing James Bay Road and actually did back to back 950s getting to Mississauga from Radisson PQ in two days with some minor diversions. That RDL backrest was soooo good.
I recall doing a Virginia run via PA and weather was miserable pouring rain and 10c but just wore my glove liners and barely got wet in the legs at all. Was $17k new out the door for the rich fella that bought it and realized he was in over his head with a 600 lb bike ( new rider ). Mess up his leg dropping it on his lawn and sold it to me for $7k with like 1700 km on it. Got $4k for it a couple years later to 60k km on it
1654571358862.png
End of the Burger King reign in Europe but hundreds of thousands of scoots on the road usually outnumbering motorcycles.
I got a chance to take the BMW GT650 around Mosport track ( no one else knew how to ride it :rolleyes:
It was nice but the seating not as flexible - I'm medium height ...5'9 and shrinking and I just fit but anyone taller would be SOL with knees hitting the dash. It was quick and easily kept pace with the bigger bikes accelerating. CVTs are good that way but takes a little getting used to.

Only one Burgman 400 for sale in Australia at $6,490 :oops:
$2800 for my 2015 CB300F was a bargain .:D

Last edited:
One thing I’ll say….commuting on the 401 on the bike literally killed any joy I found in riding. I found myself resenting the bike and when I looked at it I didn’t see a fun, smile inducing machine…I saw a commute to work.

I sold the bike I had at the time because of it.

Bonus is that up to Ford you can take the HOV lane. After that I’d take Lakeshore instead of the QEW.

I’d prefer to just drive the car. I refuse to take the bike to Scarborough now from Mississauga on the 401.

100% agree. i've commuted for years and years. riding in and out of toronto every day made me not want to ride bikes at all.

End of the Burger King reign in Europe but hundreds of thousands of scoots on the road usually outnumbering motorcycles.
I got a chance to take the BMW GT650 around Mosport track ( no one else knew how to ride it :rolleyes:
It was nice but the seating not as flexible - I'm medium height ...5'9 and shrinking and I just fit but anyone taller would be SOL with knees hitting the dash. It was quick and easily kept pace with the bigger bikes accelerating. CVTs are good that way but takes a little getting used to.
I wonder if they made some adjustments, as the C650GT I sat on was plenty roomy, and I'm 6'1". Compared to the Burgman 400, the seat was relatively high.

Only one Burgman 400 for sale in Australia at $6,490 :oops:
$2800 for my 2015 CB300F was a bargain .:D
The only cheap ones here are older than 10 years. There's basically nothing available that's new, and when one does come up, it sells fast and at a premium. Nothing like skyrocketing fuel prices to spike demand...

GT650 Could be - it's been in production for a while. I don't recall too much about it other than it was quick and smooth with nice braking. I fit it as well but thought at the time it would be tight for anyone with longer legs.

The Burgman 400 shows 55 ish mpg over the years. Not particularly outstanding as the 650 Stroms run 50ish and the CB300s and 500s much better than either reflecting new engine tech.

The storage on the Burgman is outstanding. Ideal for a commuter.
Windscreen replacement might be tricky as don't know about 3rd party.
Puig makes one Puig 9973 Clear Touring Screen -
1654634042308.png
CVTs are easy to ride in stop and go traffic...no clutching or shifting and they are quick to accelerate for filtering. Riding across the Peace Bridge on a brutally hot long weekend with my kid on his hopped up FZ8 he for the first time admired my not having to clutch or shift. :D

I have a Puig on my CB300F but it's much smaller.
Fitment was good and it has held up well over 20,000 km

Givi makes one for the 400 as well.
I must admit I'd happily ride this..I like red bikes.
1654634377598.png
Keep those tire pressures up to get any distance from them and the handling is lighter as well.

Back
Top Bottom