Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome...

Priller

TL;DR:

Looking for a commuting bike that's cheap to run, but am divided with more expensive touring oriented bikes that could double as a commuter. Hit me with your suggestions.

Long version:

So I've taken a different job (for those who know, I've moved from working for a contractor to the 'light side' as a Contract Administrator for a consulting engineering firm). The money is a bit better (particularly when I will actually get paid OT), but by far the biggest sacrifice has been giving up the company truck, gas card, and 407 transponder. As I'm mostly office bound now (well, Tue-Thu, with Mondays and Fridays working from home), I'm now on the hook for the commute from Hamilton to roughly the Gardiner and Kipling/Islington. This means lots of stop and go, and between an hour to an hour and a half each way, depending on when I leave (most of the office works 9-5, so about the earliest that's appropriate is 7:30-3:30).

I'm mostly driving our Civic, which is a solid commuter: great on gas and a very comfy place to sit with all the gadgets. But I'd like to get something that I can use in the HOV lane, and I refuse to join all the other d**kheads driving solo there (easy 75%, assuming empty front seat means no passenger). It's also our only car now, so it'd be nice to let the wife keep some wheels on days when she needs to head out.

I could take the Tuono, but it's not a great bike for sitting in traffic (V4 = ball roaster), gets terrible mileage, and as I prefer stickier tires, I'll either be spending a mint on rubber or having to switch to touring tires. Most importantly, if I'm going to rack up slow kilometers, it seems a shame to do so on a motor as potent as that.

So here's the criteria, weighted by importance but not fixed to any particular item:

1. Cheap to operate (maintenance, mileage, insurance)
2. Can handle highway speeds
3. Comfortable in traffic, particularly in summer heat
4. Does stop and go without fuss (i.e. no peaky motors like an FZ6)
5. Cheap to buy (ideally <$5k)
6. Some weather protection in case I get caught in rain
7. Hard luggage or storage would be nice
8. Doubling as a touring bike would be a bonus (but not too much at the expense of item 1 above)

As it stands, I'm all over the map. The leading contender is a Burgman 400 (or similar maxi-scooter, though the added displacement of a Burgman 650 or Honda Silver Wing aren't worth the added cost to me), as it crushes items 1-7 above. But I've also looked at:

- K1200GT - probably too big for commuting, but would make an amazing tourer and no chain. Poor mileage.
- Sprint ST - sentimental favourite, as I think they're dead sexy and they fit my ideal of a 'sport tourer', but high insurance, also relatively poor mileage.
- Honda 599/919 - dead reliable, but minimal weather protection and consequently mediocre tourers
- Ninja 1000 - as above with the Triumph, though less sexy, more modern, and similar insurance costs
- NC700/750 - Weirdly, the Burgman seems like it'd be more fun
- Z650 - Surprisingly pricy to insure, similar drawbacks to 599 minus Honda build quality
- Guzzi V7 - not convinced it's bulletproof enough for commuting, but wins on style points

A Versys 650 or V-Strom 650 would also fit, but I can't seem to find any for a reasonable price that aren't high milers.

Based on the insurance quotes I've had so far, insurance would range between about $600/yr for a Burgman 400 up to $1500+ for the Sprint ST. The rest fit in about where you'd expect, with the BMW about $1200, 599 about $750, NC750 at $900, Ninja 1k at $1500, Z650 at $900. I haven't done a full range of quoters, but have numbers from Echelon, Desjardins, as well as the TD and Riders Plus online quote machines.

The other option would be to trade in my Tuono for something more multi-faceted, but the prime contenders are all flawed:

- Africa Twin - too bloody expensive for what it is, used prices are hilariously high
- Tuareg - not out yet, probably overkill on dirt ability that I'll realistically probably never use
- RS660 - so tempting, what I'd buy new now, but financially it'd probably be wash at best, and it seems insane to trade a Tuono 1100 for an RS660 without at least making a few bucks, especially as it's no better suited to commuting.
- Guzzi V85TT - would worry about long-term reliability

Anyway, as you can tell from the above, I'm flip-flopping all over the place like a freshly caught fish. If anyone has similar experiences and has any advice to offer, or if anyone has any left-field suggestions, I'm all ears...

An older R1200GS would fit the bill nicely. Low centre of gravity because of the boxer engine, good low-end torque and light hydraulic clutch action for stop-and-go traffic. Wide handlebars with dirt-bike-like lock-to-lock steering stops makes for a nimble bike that will U-turn on a dime. Powerful enough for passing on the highway. A good all-rounder.

Later liquid-cooled R12GS models (before the 2019 Shiftcam R1250GS) can be found for ~$13-$15K. An early model air-cooled R12GS can be had for less than $10K.

I put a quarter-million kms on mine in all traffic and road conditions, before I parted it out.

How could a KLR be the wrong bike? Unlike LC's beemer suggestion it wouldn't come in 2x over budget. Other than #7&8 it tics most boxes.

An older R1200GS would fit the bill nicely. Low centre of gravity because of the boxer engine, good low-end torque and light hydraulic clutch action for stop-and-go traffic. Wide handlebars with dirt-bike-like lock-to-lock steering stops makes for a nimble bike that will U-turn on a dime. Powerful enough for passing on the highway. A good all-rounder.

Later liquid-cooled R12GS models (before the 2019 Shiftcam R1250GS) can be found for ~$13-$15K. An early model air-cooled R12GS can be had for less than $10K.

I put a quarter-million kms on mine in all traffic and road conditions, before I parted it out.
I will admit, I resist the model due to its overwhelming popularity with the Ewan Boorman set, but will also admit that they're the best in class. The problem is I'd never want one as my primary ride (way too porky), and they're too expensive for me to get as a beater commuter. For comparison, there's a 2007 K1200GT with ~40k for $5,900 for sale. An equivalent GS is easily double that, and for what I need, it's not worth double.

How could a KLR be the wrong bike? Unlike LC's beemer suggestion it wouldn't come in 2x over budget. Other than #7&8 it tics most boxes.

KLR may not be the wrong bike, though it's perhaps a but too agricultural for pure commuting needs. It'd have to be the right price, but it's now on my list...

Also, a milk crate sort of qualifies as hard luggage, no?

Reactions: TK4
I will admit, I resist the model due to its overwhelming popularity with the Ewan Boorman set, but will also admit that they're the best in class. The problem is I'd never want one as my primary ride (way too porky), and they're too expensive for me to get as a beater commuter. For comparison, there's a 2007 K1200GT with ~40k for $5,900 for sale. An equivalent GS is easily double that, and for what I need, it's not worth double.

Fair enough. But the GT is a completely different bike than the GS. Speaking of porky, it will feel a lot more heavier than a R1200GS. And it's more of a continent-eater/highway bike than a rush-hour commuter. I'd wouldn't want to do the first-gear crawl on something like that.

Yamaha MT03, FZ/MT-07/09. Any of them. Or even a Yamaha R3 (mechanically same as MT03). Although dressed up as a sport bike, the riding position is that of a standard bike.

Or, Honda CB/CBR500. Same deal. Riding position is that of a standard bike. I'm a bit more partial to the various Yamaha models.

You do not need a big 4 cylinder engine to do commuting. The lightweight bikes don't pump out anywhere near as much heat when stuck in traffic. I haven't ridden the FZ/MT-07/09, only the R3, but even that one has a really user-friendly torque curve, punchy enough in the mid-range, and it's well counterbalanced and runs smoothly. I've heard only good things about the MT07, and those have a 270-degree crank and thus, sound better.

I just spotted the luggage comment. A friend of mine just bought a Honda CB500X and is in the midst of outfitting it with luggage for a planned trip to the east coast this summer.

Brief poking around indicates that you can get Givi luggage for a MT07, too.

I took my cb500x across Canada and it's stable at speed ( 140 indicated ) and sips gas.

Even new they are cheap ..I paid $7100 for a brand new 2018 in 2019.

Fair enough. But the GT is a completely different bike than the GS. Speaking of porky, it will feel a lot more heavier than a R1200GS. And it's more of a continent-eater/highway bike than a rush-hour commuter. I'd wouldn't want to do the first-gear crawl on something like that.
Also fair enough. To be honest, the GT is only on the list because it seems like a lot of bike for the money, and I like that K motor. (A buddy in BC has a K1200S that I really enjoyed riding, though the insurance would probably take it off my list. Definitely a great gentleman's express, in the same spirit as the Blackbird.) You're right, though, near 700 lbs is probably too much for foot-up-foot-down for half an hour straight.

Yamaha MT03, FZ/MT-07/09. Any of them. Or even a Yamaha R3 (mechanically same as MT03). Although dressed up as a sport bike, the riding position is that of a standard bike.

Or, Honda CB/CBR500. Same deal. Riding position is that of a standard bike. I'm a bit more partial to the various Yamaha models.

You do not need a big 4 cylinder engine to do commuting. The lightweight bikes don't pump out anywhere near as much heat when stuck in traffic. I haven't ridden the FZ/MT-07/09, only the R3, but even that one has a really user-friendly torque curve, punchy enough in the mid-range, and it's well counterbalanced and runs smoothly. I've heard only good things about the MT07, and those have a 270-degree crank and thus, sound better.

The various 300's are off my list, as the lack of power means the practicality sacrifices over a maxi-scooter just aren't worth it. If cornering fun were a consideration then the math would be different, but the only corners a pure commuter would ever see would be on- and off-ramps. Also, maybe I've spent too much time in Europe, but I actually think a scooter is cooler, especially when paired with business casual clothes. (This obviously doesn't apply to R3 track bikes, though!)

CB500 series are definitely in play, (more below in response to @MacDoc ). Weirdly, I'm put off the sporty pretensions of the CBR500R, though. It's so not a sportbike while trying really hard to look like one, and that just doesn't do it for me. Unless a bike really is designed to be quick around corners (see KTM RC390), I would rather something that looks anti-sportbike. And yes, I'm aware that that's my own neuroses coming into play...

The Yamaha -07 and -09 models are definitely worth a look, though neither would replace my Tuono, so would be very price dependent and likely excludes the -09 bikes, which seem to fit into that sweet/sour spot of used bikes asking almost as much as new. There are a few -07's in the $7k range, though, and they're a lot more bike than some on my list. Curious how they'll be for insurance.

I just spotted the luggage comment. A friend of mine just bought a Honda CB500X and is in the midst of outfitting it with luggage for a planned trip to the east coast this summer.

Brief poking around indicates that you can get Givi luggage for a MT07, too.

The hard luggage is down the list for a reason, as it's definitely not mandatory. It would be nice to have something weatherproof and capable of stowing a helmet, but I've got a decent Kreiga backpack and don't mind carrying my helmet, so it's want more than need. It's a much bigger factor if the bike doubles as a tourer, though. Then it's mandatory.

I took my cb500x across Canada and it's stable at speed ( 140 indicated ) and sips gas.

Even new they are cheap ..I paid $7100 for a brand new 2018 in 2019.

The X is definitely top of my list for the CB500 bikes, especially if hard luggage is included. This is definitely one I'll be adding to my alerts.

Kawasaki H2 with a tune
I did commute on a ZX-14R for a while, and it was fine enough, though the tune was mild.

(Jokes aside, when it comes to the H2, I wouldn't trade my Tuono for one unless you also gave me enough money to go buy another Tuono. It's never done much for me as anything more than a curiosity.)

tricky with the budget, these days its hard to imagine anything under 5k
something not on list?
maybe an old suzuki bandit? the big ones can be had for cheap and usually come with luggage

an older tracer 9(non gt)might also be an option, theyre usually cheaper

A zero could be a great fit except for initial budget. Should be cheapest per km to operate though. @anterabrae has had one for a long time.

A zero could be a great fit except for initial budget. Should be cheapest per km to operate though. @anterabrae has had one for a long time.

Cost aside, there is something to be said about not having a clutch while in stop-and-go traffic. Twist and go makes a lot more sense for a commuter.

If I were to buy a dedicated rush-hour bike, I could almost be persuaded to get a scooter.

Almost...

Maybe this one, if it ever comes to Canada:

2021-Honda-X-ADV-First-Look-1-1536x1024.jpg

$2399 brand new, automatic so no tired clutch hand in stop 'n go traffic and it has a storage compartment under the fuel tank...would be super cheap on insurance...Milton Powerhouse Honda had one in stock in early April...

tricky with the budget, these days its hard to imagine anything under 5k
something not on list?
maybe an old suzuki bandit? the big ones can be had for cheap and usually come with luggage

an older tracer 9(non gt)might also be an option, theyre usually cheaper
Putting a kid through university has definitely smashed the discretionary spending budget to bits. I'm well aware that a $5k target budget is tight when also asking for fun and reliability, but the bikes I listed are all within about $1k of that target, some well below.

Bandits are definitely an option, though they're getting on in age now. I've seen a few high-milers out there, but nothing enticing.

I really dig the Tracer, but not as an only bike, and haven't seen any even close to my peanut pile.

Anyone know the range? My commute is about 60 km each way, and I don't think there's any charging options at the office. I'd also need to attend the occasional meeting in Toronto and Brampton, so likely need to get at least 200 km off a charge. Not sure which e-bikes can do that?

Cost aside, there is something to be said about not having a clutch while in stop-and-go traffic. Twist and go makes a lot more sense for a commuter.

If I were to buy a dedicated rush-hour bike, I could almost be persuaded to get a scooter.

Almost...
To be honest, I'm really struggling to make a cost and practicality case for a motorcycle over a Burgman 400. They're selling for between $3700 and $5500 for relatively low-mileage examples in decent shape, insurance is as cheap as anything, the mileage is great for the 400 (3.9-4.7 l /100 km, a good bit worse for the 650), the wind protection extends the riding season and makes wet riding less uncomfortable, stowage is unparalleled, maintenance seems reasonable if you change your own belts, and they are ideal for the cut and thrust of urban riding.

The biggest drawback seems to be the cool factor, but maybe I've spent too much time in Italy, as I really like them. Of course the reality couldn't possibly be as suave as my imagination, and a Burgman is no vintage Vespa.

How I think I'd look:

burgman-400-suit.jpgBurgman2021 couple.jpg
And on the on-ramp:
2017-Suzuki-Burgman-400-knee drag.jpg

But how I'd really look is much less Euro-chic and much more practical Dad with white runners and a cell phone belt clip:

2018-Suzuki-Burgman-400-uncool.jpg

$2399 brand new, automatic so no tired clutch hand in stop 'n go traffic and it has a storage compartment under the fuel tank...would be super cheap on insurance...Milton Powerhouse Honda had one in stock in early April...
Love them, but if I took one of those on the highway, it'd be like a scene out of Dumb & Dumber. If it was pure city riding with no highway, I'd already have a Vespa, to be fair...

The 300's are nimble and easy to throw around and while yes, they are not high powered, they are much faster off the line than all commuter cars out there; I mean, if you are in stop and go traffic, most cars are not coming off the line accelerating as fast as you would if you wanted to. Also keep in mind, they are much cheaper on general maintenance years down the line. The MT-03 and 07 would be my suggestion.

I personally ride an R3, and it starts to become uncomfortable on the lower back/knees about 2 hours in for me.

Also, just think, it's kinda nice to look back at the bike after you park it and think that it looks really nice. If you are not feeling the "cool" factor, maybe you should consider that more.

If it was only about the "cool" factor we'd all be on 883 sporty's with flat bars.

maybe a versys 300?
not sure how much they go for

Hard to beat a V-Strom 650 for simple, dependable, and somewhat fun transportation. Most are high mileage, but it isn't anything to worry about. Nice thing is most are already setup for touring with luggage, windscreen, heated grips, etc. For the price, it's hard to find a better all around bike.

I know the market is different now, but 3-4 years ago I sold my '06 V-strom 650, 80k km, full touring setup, and decent shape for $2600. Had a hard time selling it too.

Back
Top Bottom