The Squids were out today.... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Squids were out today....

Sir, although the decision to wear or not to wear gear is ultimately yours; however your logic is flawed.

Please allow me to elaborate, familiarity and or a lower speed limit does not reduce the risk of an accident.

"The NHTSA reports that approximately 52 percent of all accidents occur within a five-mile radius of home and 69 percent of all car accidents occur within a ten-mile radius from home..." (Source: http://tinyurl.com/3of57n9)

Statistically you are more likely to have a collision "running to the corner store" than if you were outside a 10 mile (16KM) radius.

I read that statistics 12 years ago, so we moved.

why are people so worried about what others are wearing? what difference does it make to you?
whatever happened to live and let live?

Sir, although the decision to wear or not to wear gear is ultimately yours; however your logic is flawed.

Please allow me to elaborate, familiarity and or a lower speed limit does not reduce the risk of an accident.

"The NHTSA reports that approximately 52 percent of all accidents occur within a five-mile radius of home and 69 percent of all car accidents occur within a ten-mile radius from home..." (Source: http://tinyurl.com/3of57n9)

Statistically you are more likely to have a collision "running to the corner store" than if you were outside a 10 mile (16KM) radius.

im afraid you've missed my point entirely.

i never claimed that I can't or even that i wont get in an accident close to home, but simply that the risk of severe injury is lower.. if i low side at 40km/h, sure it will hurt, and il be scraped up pretty bad, but il likely be alive, and that is within my personal acceptable risk tolerance.. and that dosent mean id ever be whipping around corners or flying around at 100+ dressed that way.

but yes, live and let live.. wear gear or dont, it affects no one but you.

I disagree. If you get dead or injured it impacts everyone, it costs money to scrape you off the asphalt regardless of whether you live. In addition there are the insurance premiums that go up for everyone not just you. Not to mention the road which gets congested and productivity is lost when anyone sees blinky lights or when Police/EMS or Fire Dept. obstruct the lane(s). Wearing the most gear you can helps minimize the severity of your injuries thus reducing the impact to other people.

Saying there is no effect by wearing less gear is like a smoker or an alcoholic claiming their addiction doesn't impact the medical system. Or when someone jumps in front of a TTC train, they have to shut down everything to cleanup and investigate that one incident will effect tens of thousands of people. Nothing causing disruption to any kind of transportation just involves the one person.

I disagree. If you get dead or injured it impacts everyone, it costs money to scrape you off the asphalt regardless of whether you live. In addition there are the insurance premiums that go up for everyone not just you. Not to mention the road which gets congested and productivity is lost when anyone sees blinky lights or when Police/EMS or Fire Dept. obstruct the lane(s). Wearing the most gear you can helps minimize the severity of your injuries thus reducing the impact to other people.

So does not riding a motorcycle.

Not wearing gear supports hard working EMS and firefighters. Are you against supporting EMS and firefighters?

Also you think if i lowside at city speeds im going to the hospital? If something happens at those speeds where im going to the hospital (hit by a car after im down, smashed into a tree, etc), full leathers wouldnt have prevented anything.

And id imagine insurance premiums are more likely to go up when some racer-boi shoots his bike off the on-ramp, gear or no gear. Hell, id say a low side at city speeds in FULL GEAR is more likely to increase insurance premiums when some guy claims his 1500 dollar set of now-rashed-up leathers.

I agree with lightcycle. If youre so worried about your impact on other people, take transit or walk. Even driving a car you could blow a tire and flip, causing delays for everyone.

I went out for a quick 20 minute boot today without any gear but the helmet.

Gotta say, it was my first time doing this, but it felt sooo good. Granted, the bike never got past 100 kmh

Haha, I love how this statistic makes 100% sense because it's such obvious logic yet completely meaningless. Most accidents occur close to home because all trips originate from home. Think about it.

Saying there is no effect by wearing less gear is like a smoker or an alcoholic claiming their addiction doesn't impact the medical system. Or when someone jumps in front of a TTC train, they have to shut down everything to cleanup and investigate that one incident will effect tens of thousands of people. Nothing causing disruption to any kind of transportation just involves the one person.

ahh thats cool bro maybe you should settle for one of these
Schwinn-Roadster-Pink.jpg

oh wait that might still be a little too dangerous for you...

ahh thats cool bro maybe you should settle for one of these

oh wait that might still be a little too dangerous for you...

Trolling and insulting people isn't the focus of this thread. Please keep your posts constructive and relevant to the subject.

Trolling and insulting people isn't the focus of this thread.

I thought it was the entire focus of the thread.

Calling riders "squids", telling them they weren't delivered with a brain, calling them dumbass, telling them to smarten up, making baseless judgements on their experience level, etc.

Or maybe insulting people only applies if you don't agree with their point of view.

I thought it was the entire focus of the thread.

Calling riders "squids", telling them they weren't delivered with a brain, calling them dumbass, telling them to smarten up, making baseless judgements on their experience level, etc.

Or maybe insulting people only applies if you don't agree with their point of view.

No I am not saying that disagreeing with someone is insulting. However pockets post was clearly aimed at me, I am not the subject. I voiced an opinion, the way to respond is not with an insult or to troll but to make a constructive rebuttal. The other comments regarding squids are generalizations about nameless people which is different.

Not wearing gear supports hard working EMS and firefighters. Are you against supporting EMS and firefighters?

This made me lol. None the less, unless they make a law that requires you to gear up people are going to do it. Its there choice. If people are really worked about it you think they put their effort in by getting the ball rolling some how on getting it to be illegal not to gear up instead of making yet another squids thread. Enough people. Worry about keeping yourself safe. Its the least you can do.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
im afraid you've missed my point entirely.

i never claimed that I can't or even that i wont get in an accident close to home, but simply that the risk of severe injury is lower.. if i low side at 40km/h, sure it will hurt, and il be scraped up pretty bad, but il likely be alive, and that is within my personal acceptable risk tolerance.. and that dosent mean id ever be whipping around corners or flying around at 100+ dressed that way.

I was a pedestrian that got hit a block from my home while standing on a side walk and let me tell you I wish I was wearing gear when I got hit. I know it sounds stupid but I was hit at approximately 45 km/h got thrown 25 feet and was lucky I did not hit my head or break anything. I do however have cronic back and neck pain...this is 6 years later.... Hope this helps with understanding what sundancekid is saying. Even at lower speeds a collision can change your life.

I also agree its your choice but some people have no idea how dangerous it is and I guess that is why some people are "preaching".

Last edited:
Gear Nazis

Don't they just make you Laugh?

I was a pedestrian that got hit a block from my home while standing on a side walk and let me tell you I wish I was wearing gear when I got hit. I know it sounds stupid but I was hit at approximately 45 km/h got thrown 25 feet and was lucky I did not hit my head or break anything. I do however have cronic back and neck pain...this is 6 years later.... Hope this helps with understanding what sundancekid is saying. Even at lower speeds a collision can change your life.

I also agree its your choice but some people have no idea how dangerous it is and I guess that is why some people are "preaching".

How would gear have prevented your chronic neck and back pain!?!

This is what im imagining some of you gear Nazis riding around in:

[video=youtube;sLUdtF7aG7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLUdtF7aG7o[/video]

I squid it up real good.

But I always wear my gloves. I can't possibly imagine missing fapping days.

I think it was Saturday, I was cruising on my 600rr on Eglinton going west couple of light after the 403 exit and all of a sudden a ****** bag on another SS passed my on the right tire lane, not slow either. He was wearing the shift armour vest with a t-shirt, Saw him turn left to go home I was so ******. What if I had to swerve to avoid something, its not normal that a bike would pass you in your lane unless your already riding in a group and you know that there are other bikes. This ****** bag was in a group of bikes too.

Back
Top Bottom