The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 246 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

It looks like a wasp with it's stinger up. wtf happened to the rear subframe?

Didn't you ever read Streetfighter magazine back in the '90s?! All the Spondon-framed GSX-R1100's had stubby tails pointing at the sky. I'm assuming it was to imply that you could wheelie so high that a regular seat would be in the way...

Granted, they were also usually cut down and modified, and this guy seems to have missed that memo. His just looks like he's been rear ended...

Here's what I used to drool over in '95...

c610971463b45a367f3e6b71a2aa99d6.jpg

Didn't you ever read Streetfighter magazine back in the '90s?! All the Spondon-framed GSX-R1100's had stubby tails pointing at the sky. I'm assuming it was to imply that you could wheelie so high that a regular seat would be in the way...

Granted, they were also usually cut down and modified, and this guy seems to have missed that memo. His just looks like he's been rear ended...

Here's what I used to drool over in '95...

View attachment 45011
I like that. The triumph with a boner notsomuch. For $500 (assuming it has a clean title), it would be a fun toy though. You can't see how ugly it is while you are riding (although constantly pushing yourself back from the tank would get old quickly).

I like that. The triumph with a boner notsomuch. For $500 (assuming it has a clean title), it would be a fun toy though. You can't see how ugly it is while you are riding (although constantly pushing yourself back from the tank would get old quickly).

I did pick one that has aged well. Some took the concept a little (lot) too far:

streetfighter high tail.jpg
It was a scene that wasn't into subtlety or restraint, that's for sure!

I always liked when someone did a CBR900 and polished the frame into a great swathe of mirrored aluminum:

cbr streetfighter polished frame.jpg

Ah, the 'good' old days...

07 fz6 at $2500
Apart from a few scratches, looks pretty clean

Wont last

07 fz6 at $2500
Apart from a few scratches, looks pretty clean

Wont last

That's a nice bike! I was just mentioning to my wife today that we need another bike in our garage once the end of season deals start popping up.

1990 Katana 600 project with ownership $500

Suspicious. Looks like it is a basket case being cleared out of the back room of a dealer called Maximum Cycle Ltd, which may or may not still be in business? They also have another ad for a Hyosung GT250R with "engine troubles" which is almost assuredly scrap

^ 100 is nothing on those bikes
but I'd like to see history on a few things
clutch, shaft, valves

edit:

looks like '13 was the first year for LC and wet clutch
if that's true on this bike, it's even a better deal

splitting the bike in half to c/o the dry clutch was big $$

Last edited:
"Suspicious"

?????????
What do you want for $500
It's a '90 Katana! I don't hate these bikes but $1000 is about a fair price for it if it was running. Would you take this thing if it was free and delivered to you?

Edit: For that hypothetical question you have to take the whole bike, you can't just take the rotor carriers off and leave the rest on the truck/trailer

I suppose 100k isnt much on a bmw boxer twin?

I would be pretty comfortable betting that the big GS', and probably this specific gen, has the highest number of high mileage bikes running around the world of any bike model sold, ever. You can thank the Long Way series' for that. The only common failure I have heard of is the final drive, which is huge money. Don't know too much about them beyond that, outside of wanting one for a long time.

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about taking any modern, reasonably reliable, bike well past 100k km. Especially a fairly recent one like this that has likely spend a bunch of time cruising on the highway (14k km's a year). I would budget doing some regular maintenance, but should be good to go beyond that.

I would be pretty comfortable betting that the big GS', and probably this specific gen, has the highest number of high mileage bikes running around the world of any bike model sold, ever. You can thank the Long Way series' for that. The only common failure I have heard of is the final drive, which is huge money. Don't know too much about them beyond that, outside of wanting one for a long time.

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about taking any modern, reasonably reliable, bike well past 100k km. Especially a fairly recent one like this that has likely spend a bunch of time cruising on the highway (14k km's a year). I would budget doing some regular maintenance, but should be good to go beyond that.

time for some more test rides!

01 tiger, 31k, $2900

Wonder if this belongs here or not:

08 sprint, 31k, $6.2k

Back
Top Bottom