The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 188 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Does that really happen? lol I've never bought a new bike, but when/if I do I'll see if they can "throw them in"

It gets worse:
What they said: The mechanic will bring your new bike around in a minute he's just checking the tyre-pressure.
What he didn't say:
we ran it over a big staple when we took it off the crate stand we were trying to sell you earlier and it put a tiny puncture in the rear tyre.

On buying my first motorcycle still in the crate, I discovered the first two I bought previously, should have come with:
The Key for the steering-lock
2 header pipes, one with a cat converter and O2 sensor, the second without.
2 rear sprockets, one large, one small.
2 drive chains, one for the big sprocket and the second one for the small sprocket.
2 headlights, one for competition only plus the full instrument one that comes on it (street legal everywhere but N.A.)
Signals, tail light, horn, switches and mount brackets.
2 exhaust pipe end pieces, one for competition only, the other for road worthy.
The correct sized pop rivits to change the exhaust pipe, plus instructions to prep the bike for competition only use.

Dealer preparation?
:sneaky: the one in the crate came with oil already in the engine, rad fluid in the rad and just enough race fuel in the tank to start it for ~30 seconds.
I had to put the handlebars on and remove the 3 exhaust and intake restrictors that make it so a learner in U.K. can ride a powerless motorcycle for a while. They did give me the printed service manuals that come with every bike, that was mighty nice of them.

Oh ya, then there was the lightly used demonstrator bike Sonic gave me a great deal on,

What they didn't say:
:LOL: they used it the month before to compete in the Cord,
& btw, now that it was used in competition racing the manufacturer warranty is void, because we beat the snot out of that poor thing during break-in.

Given the downright dangerous condition of bikes SoN sold as certified (or even new), I can only imagine the horror that will be found in that bike. I would run every test and check I could before trusting my life on that bike.

Not 'downright dangerous', but the brand new bike I bought from them at the Xmas bike show and picked up in April had 2 recalls that had not been addressed. It was another dealer that caught that for me.
When I was making arrangements to pick up the bike, the salesman told me the date I choose, 2 weeks away would not work for them.
Ya, works for me, sorry for you.
Customer satisfaction ~ 0.

Not 'downright dangerous', but the brand new bike I bought from them at the Xmas bike show and picked up in April had 2 recalls that had not been addressed. It was another dealer that caught that for me.
When I was making arrangements to pick up the bike, the salesman told me the date I choose, 2 weeks away would not work for them.
Ya, works for me, sorry for you.
Customer satisfaction ~ 0.
People had brake calipers fall off after SoN touched their bikes.

That's not a Stratoliner Deluxe, maybe they mean Stratoliner S? Either way that's the cheapest Stratoliner I've ever seen... hmmmmmm......

(I know somebody else will buy it before I get into trouble)

It is an S, xv1900as to be exact. I've never saw a xv1900 for this cheap period. Don't know the condition of the bike or if it runs. Pics appear to show it as in good shape. Anyone interested obviously should perform a 3000 point inspection. When I went shopping for a bike in 2007, SON salesman didn't know what fly by wire (ETC) throttle was so not surprising they got the ad incorrect.

... Don't know the condition of the bike or if it runs. Pics appear to show it as in good shape. Anyone interested obviously should perform a 3000 point inspection. ...
Possibly you missed the part where it says
"SOLD AS IS , UNFIT , AND IS NOT REPRESENTED AS BEING IN A ROAD WORTHY CONDITION, MECHANICALLY SOUND OR MAINTAINED AT ANY GUARANTEED LEVEL OF QUALITY. THE VEHICLE MAY NOT BE FIT FOR USE AS A MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION AND MAY REQUIRE SUBSTANTIAL REPAIRS AT THE PURCHASERS EXPENSE. IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO REGISTER THE VEHICLE TO BE DRIVEN IN IT'S CURRENT CONDITION."

That makes it a 3000$ parts bike. Anybody need 3 grand worth of used Strato parts?

"SOLD AS IS , UNFIT , AND IS NOT REPRESENTED AS BEING IN A ROAD WORTHY CONDITION, MECHANICALLY SOUND OR MAINTAINED AT ANY GUARANTEED LEVEL OF QUALITY. THE VEHICLE MAY NOT BE FIT FOR USE AS A MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION AND MAY REQUIRE SUBSTANTIAL REPAIRS AT THE PURCHASERS EXPENSE. IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO REGISTER THE VEHICLE TO BE DRIVEN IN IT'S CURRENT CONDITION."

That makes it a 3000$ parts bike. Anybody need 3 grand worth of used Strato parts?

Perhaps you missed the part where I am the OP of this listing. You know that AS IS ad normally indicates not rep as road worthy, etc... It's call a generic disclaimer and you'll see it in almost every AS IS for sale ad.

You think I'm stupid or are you just ignorant? Actually I know that answer.

EDIT: in fact, I've decided to humour you. I called the dealership, its a clean bike that they are not selling certified. It was a trade in and it runs, was validated that the ad is generic. Spoke with Mike.

Have a wonderful day. Can't believe I had to sign in to post this...

Perhaps you missed the part where I am the OP of this listing. You know that AS IS ad normally indicates not rep as road worthy, etc... It's call a generic disclaimer and you'll see it in almost every AS IS for sale ad.

So what is actually wrong with the bike that you would say all that about it?

Did they at least take them to court?
How long after? Was it in the driveway or....?
Somewhere in the gtam archives. IIRC came apart on the ride home. Lots of nightmare stories in the archives where SoN had the best price in the GTA and then you got what you paid for.

EDIT:
GTAM archives seem to be dead. The main page still exists, but trying to look or search for anything gives a database error. Hopefully it is a minor problem and all of the jewels contained within are not gone forever.

Last edited:
When a dealership has a slew of bikes for sale all being advertised as licensable and then posts one that states otherwise :/ there is something wrong with that bike.

... my assumption would be that the VIN has been branded as a write-off.

Last edited:
When a dealership has a slew of bikes for sale all being advertised as licensable and then posts one that states otherwise :/ there is something wrong with that bike.

I read the ad to simply mean "uncertified". You're overthinking it.

OMVIC has a lot to say about what a dealer says in an ad.
By selling the bike as is/where is SON is avoiding some warranty, not all, but some.
If the bike was branded they are obligated to disclose that IN THE AD.

You, as a private seller, are allowed to say pretty well anything in an ad, that is NOT the case of an OMVIC member.

OMVIC has a lot to say about what a dealer says in an ad.
By selling the bike as is/where is SON is avoiding some warranty, not all, but some.
If the bike was branded they are obligated to disclose that IN THE AD.

You, as a private seller, are allowed to say pretty well anything in an ad, that is NOT the case of an OMVIC member.
But if they are truly closing shortly, who cares about OMVIC? Get as much money out as possible and there will be nothing left to sanction (wash the sales through someone retiring so the young guys licenses remain intact).

Well for $3K, if it runs, put some sticky rubber on it and take it to the track with a good rider slaying supersports. If it goes viral, you will have made your money back.

EDIT: in fact, I've decided to humour you. I called the dealership, its a clean bike that they are not selling certified. It was a trade in and it runs, was validated that the ad is generic. Spoke with Mike.

Have a wonderful day. Can't believe I had to sign in to post this...
The "UNFIT" part would have me checking the VIN with the MTO. As is, not certified, is not such a big deal. Unfit (as in branded) is a non-starter. I see several of their ads for other bikes have the same description, and several of the other bikes also have pretty good prices for clear out.

Edit - nevermind. Branded Unfit does not equal Salvage.

Yep, unfit simply means it was registered without a safety present. Easily switched to a proper title when that is brought in. Done it a couple times.

This is on literally every non-certified vehicle ad from a dealer and some private listings as well.

Back
Top Bottom