The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 28 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

I got into watches in 2021 when I bought my first Rolex as a wedding gift for my wife. This was literally just a week or two before they went "exhibition only" and all AD shelves were stripped of stock across the globe.

Needless to say its an expensive hobby but they actually retain their value or appreciate unlike our bikes.

I'm glad to see members with Tudors in here as they are probably my favourite. I just recently managed to score a Chrono Panda fresh in the carton which is about as hard to get as a Rolex. This now completes my Tudor land, sea and air collection. The movement is actually supplied by Breitling and I suppose they don't want too many Tudors flooding the market and killing off their chronometer sales.
46cd46e39c1cc2afe9c67859995ab1d0.jpg
22a06741df52ee3d9ac01c0ba6fdd52f.jpg
45a41d7ba5c323845a84dce66332ce24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Salty Thursday.

If it lasts 5 years (which seems about average) then I’ve spent a lot more on things that have lasted a lot less time. For a wrist trinket (again my opinion, obviously not everyone’s) that’s not bad at all.

Edit: no need to stoop.

Last edited:
I got into watches in 2021 when I bought my first Rolex as a wedding gift for my wife. This was literally just a week or two before they went "exhibition only" and all AD shelves were stripped of stock across the globe.

Needless to say its an expensive hobby but they actually retain their value or appreciate unlike our bikes.

I'm glad to see members with Tudors in here as they are probably my favourite. I just recently managed to score a Chrono Panda fresh in the carton which is about as hard to get as a Rolex. This now completes my Tudor land, sea and air collection. The movement is actually supplied by Breitling and I suppose they don't want too many Tudors flooding the market and killing off their chronometer sales.

the Panda is what got me into Tudor in the first place. what a beaut.

The BB58 is hard to ignore too....

Five years is very optimistic for a counterfeit in regular use. Even if it is still running (optimistic) it may no longer look the part as QC fails. Again designed to look like something not be something.

The economics of it may be the saddest part and what makes us sad for someone here... at that price point (posted fake) a very high quality piece can be purchased that will likely last a lifetime, lots of options but it will not say Omega, Rolex or whatever on the dial but will still be a respected brand (not no name), with a warranty. IF someone has to have some brand name on the dial for their social media rep... it can be even sadder for them....

Today's market, used ones of the exact same model sell for about 10X the mid level counterfeits (like the BS one posted), about 4X the top quality counterfeits. I expect those ratios will come down a bit as this used watch market, like other markets, softens in the next year or so. It is really inflated these days so waiting can pay dividends. This one I bought after the 08 recession (posted it before), I have had it some 14 years so far (give or take), my cost was 3X the mid level counterfeit ones at the time!

Image_1677245356777.jpg

If it is just about the name on the dial....with flexibility on the model... The quartz version of the one above can be had for 3X to 4X used TODAY what that counterfeit posted costs, sure not the same model and the older version. In the same context, I have vintage Omegas and Tudors (60s and 70s) as examples that even today can be purchased with a little effort for between the cost of the mid level counterfeits and to just above the so called superfakes. At the time they were actually cheaper than typical mid level counterfeits. But again not the same model... Today, good Seamaster Cosmics will start around $600 used (great entry model BTW), there is a really nice 1969 Constellation fully serviced on FBMP for a grand, sure higher but not that much higher and striking distance of the top tier fakes and a small multiple of the BS mid tier. All will retain their value much better than the counterfeit (which has near zero day one).

Of course the real deal for very high end models these ratios are not the same as the cost of the counterfeit does not increase much but the real deal does. Multiple for a Gold Daytona special addition will be huge but the counterfeit will be plated and look like **** in a couple of years of regular wear. A counterfeit Patek cost more or less the same as a counterfeit entry level Omega the the real ones are very far apart.

I get it, someone here does not have the resources to even stretch things a little to 3X or 4X.... but in the long run it does make financial sense to live a lie when real is within reach, instead just keep flushing money down the toilet? Just do that with carrots.

Last edited:
Five years is very optimistic for a counterfeit in regular use. Even if it is still running (optimistic) it may no longer look the part as QC fails. Again designed to look like something not be something.

The economics of it may be the saddest part and what makes us sad for someone here... at that price point (posted fake) a very high quality piece can be purchased that will likely last a lifetime, lots of options but it will not say Omega, Rolex or whatever on the dial but will still be a respected brand (not no name), with a warranty. IF someone has to have some brand name on the dial for their social media rep... it can be even sadder for them....

Today's market, used ones of the exact same model sell for about 10X the mid level counterfeits (like the BS one posted), about 4X the top quality counterfeits. I expect those ratios will come down a bit as this used watch market, like other markets, softens in the next year or so. It is really inflated these days so waiting can pay dividends. This one I bought after the 08 recession (posted it before), I have had it some 14 years so far (give or take), my cost was 3X the mid level counterfeit ones at the time!

View attachment 59626

If it is just about the name on the dial....with flexibility on the model... The quartz version of the one above can be had for 3X to 4X used TODAY what that counterfeit posted costs, sure not the same model and the older version. In the same context, I have vintage Omegas and Tudors (60s and 70s) as examples that even today can be purchased with a little effort for between the cost of the mid level counterfeits and to just above the so called superfakes. At the time they were actually cheaper than typical mid level counterfeits. But again not the same model... Today, good Seamaster Cosmics will start around $600 used (great entry model BTW), there is a really nice 1969 Constellation fully serviced on FBMP for a grand, sure higher but not that much higher and striking distance of the top tier fakes and a small multiple of the BS mid tier. All will retain their value much better than the counterfeit (which has near zero day one).

Of course the real deal for very high end models these ratios are not the same as the cost of the counterfeit does not increase much but the real deal does. Multiple for a Gold Daytona special addition will be huge but the counterfeit will be plated and look like **** in a couple of years of regular wear.

I get it, someone here does not have the resources to even stretch things a little to 3X or 4X.... but in the long run it does make financial sense to not live a lie and keep flushing money down the toilet, just do that with carrots.

I have the resources to buy whatever I want. I just don’t think any single watch is worth over $500 that’s the difference. Thanks for the input though, I’m looking at 2 now as I can’t make up my mind and variety is the spice of life.

If $500 is what you can afford, lots of quality options in that price range. Some really good stuff actually, bit of a price sweet spot. Let us kow if you want some help finding a good option.

If $500 is what you can afford, lots of quality options in that price range. Some really good stuff actually, bit of a price sweet spot. Let us kow if you want some help finding a good option.
I think I can eat a $500-1000 watch, but any more than that and I'd have a very hard time justifying.

I really like the yellow SEIKO I posted earlier, and the DOXA(?) brand. Saw one on FB for $1350 which is within striking distance...but not worth it at this stage for me.

I've got 6k in property tax to start paying in a week...

I think I can eat a $500-1000 watch, but any more than that and I'd have a very hard time justifying.

I really like the yellow SEIKO I posted earlier, and the DOXA(?) brand. Saw one on FB for $1350 which is within striking distance...but not worth it at this stage for me.

I've got 6k in property tax to start paying in a week...

If you like Divers Seiko watches but want to spend less - check Steeldive. This is not a fake but small brand replica with own name. they do use Seiko movement but their own casing. They've been steadily growing their sales and reputation...

Another cheaper option is Heimdallrr - they have amazing "interpretation" of Seiko Monster watches.

While JC100 trolls the thread mercilessly, I thought I'd share that today was the day I discovered Jacob & Co watches. I thought the Richard Mille posted earlier in the thread was hilarious, but Jacob & Co takes things to a whole other level of insanity. Every time I find an ugly one, another pops up that somehow trumps the previous low bar. If ever there was proof that money can't buy taste, this is it. Part of me can't help but think that the whole thing is an elaborate joke...

jacobandcocom_724878733.jpg

jacobandcocom_897629509.jpg

It's hard to express how little I would think of anyone who chose to put this on their wrist at $25, let alone however many multiple hundreds of thousands. Criminy. The Godfather one is for guys who hang those fleece Godfather and Scarface blankets on the wall but somehow win the lottery, I guess. Pure class...

Oh, and Cristiano Ronaldo wears them. 'Nuff said...

MP, If you are looking for a new dive watch there are a couple of guys on YouTube that do lists for watch types for less than XXX, just keep in mind they are mostly US prices. It is a good place to start to at least get ideas of what is out there. Teddy Baldassarre I find is pretty watchable (but he is a dealer now so keep that in mind!!!!), there is also The Urban Gentry that has some list videos. Some others as well, I recommend sticking to the ones that review with the watch in hand not just from pics on the net.

You can also look at brands like Glycine, they have some retro looking stuff and it does not look like purchase by Invicta has polluted them yet.

Of course (in no order) Seiko, Orient, Deep Blue, Baltic, Squale, Yema and many others--might need to source a sale on some. Sadly Marathon has mostly popped out of that range CDN, otherwise they would be near the top of my list (but can still be had for close to 1K quartz on rubber strap shopping around).

If anyone is looking Marathon at all they are thick and may not wear well for some. I have one if anyone wants to meet up (for a beer or two) to try one on....

Last edited:
While JC100 trolls the thread mercilessly, I thought I'd share that today was the day I discovered Jacob & Co watches. I thought the Richard Mille posted earlier in the thread was hilarious, but Jacob & Co takes things to a whole other level of insanity. Every time I find an ugly one, another pops up that somehow trumps the previous low bar. If ever there was proof that money can't buy taste, this is it. Part of me can't help but think that the whole thing is an elaborate joke...

It's hard to express how little I would think of anyone who chose to put this on their wrist at $25, let alone however many multiple hundreds of thousands. Criminy. The Godfather one is for guys who hang those fleece Godfather and Scarface blankets on the wall but somehow win the lottery, I guess. Pure class...

Lol.

I really liked the Seiko watch you mentioned before actually. I saw there were some similar ones at a slightly lower pricepoint that interested me too.

Rolex to me are associated with swarthy old men with shirts open to the navel, years of abuse from the sun, and more chest hair than an orang utang on Rogain. Picture Hugh Hefner types. I have zero interest in this style of watch just for this reason.

I spy a miniature musical box! I actually have a (very) small collection of these. I bought the first one as a present for my wife from a small boutique in Paris 20 years ago. Nothing fancy.

As for help buying a watch. I’m good thanks. I already have some really nice Seikos and Citizens and a few Casios (pathfinders and G shocks). I might get a Deep Blue at some point and I wouldn’t mind a Luminox but can’t get over the inflated price of those so might look for an alternative with the lume cylinders. Aside from the Panerei and Omega reps those others would scratch my itch. I’m sad the Citizen Snowbird Navihawk was out of stock at the jewellers I posted before as that would be a good partner for my Blue Angels version.

no once can "justify" even $500 - $1000. It is not logical when you have the time on your phone.
I purchased a Breitling Superocean and Panerai 562 because I wanted them, and there is no logical justification to it.

can you justify an expensive engagement ring? wedding ring? sports car? motorcycle?

no once can "justify" even $500 - $1000. It is not logical when you have the time on your phone.
I purchased a Breitling Superocean and Panerai 562 because I wanted them, and there is no logical justification to it.

can you justify an expensive engagement ring? wedding ring? sports car? motorcycle?
Yea

Sent from the future

Impressive collection Ronin. I've never been a Tudor guy, just something about the brand/style/name irks me. But, all beautiful watches non the less.

It's the last piece of acceptable man's jewelry and ticks a lot of boxes for lot of folks. Telling time is not the reason to buy these watches.

It appeals to those who appreciate it for the aesthetic value, those for mechanical movements, those who want it it to showcase their wealth and affluent as well as those who just appreciate some heritage in a world where it's becoming a bad word. I buy it for all those reasons and just cause I want to. Can't take it with you anyways, so who cares.

Gaudi as fk, I remember seeing this on the Teddy Baldasar or something like that on youtube. When Hublot is not douchy enough for you, ouila.

It's the last piece of acceptable man's jewelry and ticks a lot of boxes for lot of folks. Telling time is not the reason to buy these watches.

It appeals to those who appreciate it for the aesthetic value, those for mechanical movements, those who want it it to showcase their wealth and affluent as well as those who just appreciate some heritage in a world where it's becoming a bad word. I buy it for all those reasons and just cause I want to. Can't take it with you anyways, so who cares.
yup. same as how a car or bike are not just to get from A to B. I wear my smartwatch more often for work and I take much longer looking at my 'dumb' watches to get the time.
'it's uhhhh.... 10 to 2.'

I can certainly appreciate a handmade Richard Mille watch or any of the other “ new age “ presenters. It’s wearable art . But it’s not for me , I’m a tool watch guy , waterproof and I can tell the time in .5 seconds ,
I can’t ( it’s not socially acceptable) carry a smart phone everywhere I go . So I wear a watch , which is 100% ok . You could wear a smart watch , but the moment your checking an email feed , your done . You may not be asked back . And I’m cool with that.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom