The daily commute | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The daily commute

I'm being somewhat facetious about the rider, but I do have my own style - putting my right foot down at stops and keep the left at the shifter. Most stops I shift to neutral - but ready to shift into gear if/when needed. Only if I need to take my right hand off the brake do I swap feet to hold the brake pedal with my right.
In the meantime, i'm both feet down, in gear, ready to fly away at allll times.

I'm being somewhat facetious about the rider, but I do have my own style - putting my right foot down at stops and keep the left at the shifter. Most stops I shift to neutral - but ready to shift into gear if/when needed. Only if I need to take my right hand off the brake do I swap feet to hold the brake pedal with my right.
After having a near miss with someone almost changing lanes into me from behind i never stay in neutral at lights when i ride solo. People don't give a flying F.

Also if you don't use the rear at a stop you must be getting quite the work out on inclines. :unsure:

After having a near miss with someone almost changing lanes into me from behind i never stay in neutral at lights when i ride solo. People don't give a flying F.
Ditto. I leave it in gear at stops so I don't have to think about shifting, or waste time getting it in gear, or miss the shift, if I need a quick getaway. Once stopped, I release the hand brake but keep my right foot pressing the brake pedal so that my taillight remains bright. Only left foot down.

Like FLSTC said though, everyone has their own style, and will do what they feel comfortable with.

100% my accident last year was a left turner across 2 lanes of stopped traffic into the HOV lane where i was. Heads on swivels peeps!

Had this exact thing happen to me last night. I was on my way home, two left lanes in my direction were static, me on the curb lane was live with green. Lady going the opposite direction trying to make a left decided to gun it. Just got the bike out last Monday with new tires and fresh oil and no its gone...... Broken arm too :(

Attachments

• Lexus IS.jpg
    Lexus IS.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 45
Had this exact thing happen to me last night. I was on my way home, two left lanes in my direction were static, me on the curb lane was live with green. Lady going the opposite direction trying to make a left decided to gun it. Just got the bike out last Monday with new tires and fresh oil and no its gone...... Broken arm too :(
Sorry to hear of your accident, glad you`re relatively OK!

Make sure you claim all that stuff with the adjuster if it's a write off.

You missed my point, he passed me on the shoulder instead of passing on the left, which was open and completely safe to do so.
Oh i understood that, i was just correcting the single yellow part. He was a tard.

I always leave it it gear, right foot on brake, left on ground.

What is the advantage of switching to neutral?

Sent from the moon!

I always leave it it gear, right foot on brake, left on ground.

What is the advantage of switching to neutral?

Sent from the moon!
Besides giving your left hand a break on heavy clutches, zero.

OK, take this with a grain of salt, but what you're doing is completely inefficient and takes longer to do anything in an emergency situation.
At a stop:
Left foot down
Right foot on rear brake to keep tail light on
Bike is in first gear - NEVER Neutral, unless you have at least 2-3 cars lined up behind you. Even then, keeping it in first is a MUCH wiser decision.

If you're in neutral, right hand on brake, left foot by shifter, you need to pull in clutch, click into first, take right hand off brake, close on throttle and then twist to go.

If you're in first, it's simply release rear brake, twist throttle and go.

Staying in gear like this has literally saved my life 4 times in the past 4 years. If I had to do the funky chicken dance getting into gear from neutral, fiddling with front brake etc I would not be on the face of the planet anymore....

This is also the technique taught by *ALL* riding schools.

I usually hold the front brake and put my right foot down. Left foot covers the shifter and I’ll typically pop it into neutral once there is a car or two behind me. Realistically there’s not much you’re going to be able to do when stuck in downtown traffic. If I’m at the back of the line at a exit ramp or something a little more dangerous I’ll keep it in gear and have an escape line should someone not stop.

On shifting into neutral: If you’re riding in heavy traffic your hand is going to get fatigued from constantly clutching in. If you’re on a less ergonomic bike it does give you a chance to let go of the bars and stretch out a bit. I’d imagine that a disengaged clutch does add some amount of additional heat too.

Last edited:
Staying in gear like this has literally saved my life 4 times in the past 4 years. If I had to do the funky chicken dance getting into gear from neutral, fiddling with front brake etc I would not be on the face of the planet anymore....

This is also the technique taught by *ALL* riding schools.

I think i would start worrying about the fact that your life has been saved 4 times in the past 4 years. What's up with that? What are you doing wrong?

Right foot down / right hand on the brake also lets me easily flash my brake lamp if needed. For example if you stopped behind a car with no traffic behind you, then later a driver approaches from the rear. If they aren't paying attention, your bike may be 'lost' in the image of the car ahead of you and they may not plan the stopping distance properly. A couple quick flashes of the brake lamp to let them know you're there. Based upon approach speed, if needed, easy enough to click into gear (my left foot is on the foot board) and scoot out of there. Has this practice resulted in my history of having zero instances of screeching tires behind me? Maybe I'm just lucky.
Would it not be just as easy to tap the rear brake since you`re covering it anyways? :unsure:

I think i would start worrying about the fact that your life has been saved 4 times in the past 4 years. What's up with that? What are you doing wrong?
Same thing we're all doing wrong. Riding in this cesspool of terrible cagers.

I do a mix of which foot/feet down depending on my mood, etc. Always in gear until there's a few cars stopped behind though. If I do put it in neutral, left or both might be down. Stop with both brakes and clutch in, left down, switch feet still, in 1st gear.

I'm reviewing for the m2 exit test, I have to do it later this summer. "correct" track from I can tell is the closest to dotted line. Thats what they taught in the M1 exit courses as well. I agree with you on minimizing the biggest risk instead. I will switch from the inside track to the yellow line while going through intersections - you're much more visible to a left turner (which is statistically the most likely car collision).

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom