The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 215 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

Ha. Bayfield St in Barrie. Not sure about their driving but their care modifications need more braining.

309666187_472601178241731_6697028004695055808_n.jpg

308505250_472601214908394_8410764918345562973_n.jpg

"21y/o driver from Cobalt stopped on Bayfield St in Barrie. Plates removed for improperly installed tires, window tinting obscuring interior, improper muffler and unnecessary noise."
One morning, while going to work, I saw a "stanced" Accura lose control while simply making a lane change. Started fishtailing and almost spun the thing, while crossing three lanes.

Ha. Bayfield St in Barrie. Not sure about their driving but their care modifications need more braining.

309666187_472601178241731_6697028004695055808_n.jpg

308505250_472601214908394_8410764918345562973_n.jpg

"21y/o driver from Cobalt stopped on Bayfield St in Barrie. Plates removed for improperly installed tires, window tinting obscuring interior, improper muffler and unnecessary noise."
I don't for the life of me understand this form of modification. Why do you want your car to be worse?
This guy spent a fortune to make his car slower and handle worse, why? It's so stupid.

Since this thread was locked and I can't respond there

I wasn't hyperbolizing when I said cyclists are a risk on the road and need their own liability policies:
I agree that in such a case a cyclist should be financially and criminally liable. In this particular case, it sounds like she got a cut near her eyebrow. Those bleed like a mother until you get them closed. Kid in the backyard took an empty watergun to the eyebrow this summer and bled like a stuck pig. Steristrips stopped the bleeding, two stitches kept it closed. There is no content in that post to indicate a severe injury. As for whether they need a liability policy, I think that is up to the rider. I have no problem if an asshat loses his house because he chose to ignore laws, hurt people and chose not to have insurance. He's an adult, choices have consequences.

FWIW, near Barrie yesterday, a dump truck got in a collision, refused to exchange insurance information and then took off. Aholes don't care what is required, they do what is best for them.

This dick cyclist would have run no matter what policies/laws/requirements were in place. It looks like the cyclist can be charged with fail to remain with current laws. That HTA section (200(1)) refers to people in charge of vehicles (as opposed to motor vehicles).

Last edited:
There is no content in that post to indicate a severe injury.
You'd be surprised how any competent personal injury lawyer would work up this file. With any objective injury it would be quite easy for them to convince anyone that it spiralled into something more serious.

Again, being in the industry I see it every day. A liability policy for cyclists would 1) give victims like the one in my post an avenue for recovery for any injuries (assuming they got identified and assuming they have no auto policy to claim under) 2) Hold cyclists accountable for any accidents that are their fault and pay a premium as a result of their riding history and 3) Make it so that if a cyclist gets smoked by a car, they are actually paying for the med rehab they receive as oppose to automatically sapping off the car's auto policy using money they never paid into (again, assuming the cyclist doesn't have an auto policy of their own).

Since this thread was locked and I can't respond there

I wasn't hyperbolizing when I said cyclists are a risk on the road and need their own liability policies:
Cyclists need to be made aware that they aren't special. They are operating vehicles, like everyone else on the road. They are required to follow all of the laws that pertain to vehicles. Not too long ago I was driving down a single lane one-way street in downtown Toronto and had a cyclist turn onto the street, a couple of hundred feet in front of me. He was going the wrong way, towards me, in the middle of the street. I stopped my car in the middle of the lane, as I didn't want to be seen to have caused a head-on collision with a bike. He swerved around me at the last second and flipped me off. I'm actually surprised that he didn't kick my car, or try to take off my mirror, with the way he was acting. Wish that I had saved the video of that, for demonstrative purposes.

You'd be surprised how any competent personal injury lawyer would work up this file. With any objective injury it would be quite easy for them to convince anyone that it spiralled into something more serious.

Again, being in the industry I see it every day. A liability policy for cyclists would 1) give victims like the one in my post an avenue for recovery for any injuries (assuming they got identified and assuming they have no auto policy to claim under) 2) Hold cyclists accountable for any accidents that are their fault and pay a premium as a result of their riding history and 3) Make it so that if a cyclist gets smoked by a car, they are actually paying for the med rehab they receive as oppose to automatically sapping off the car's auto policy using money they never paid into (again, assuming the cyclist doesn't have an auto policy of their own).
1) doesn't matter in this case as it was a hit and run. 2) doesn't make sense in this case as it was a hit and run and lets be honest, the chance that this gets investigated and charged is miniscule. 3) reasonable.

1) doesn't matter in this case as it was a hit and run. 2) doesn't make sense in this case as it was a hit and run and lets be honest, the chance that this gets investigated and charged is miniscule. 3) reasonable.
Then maybe it's time we start making cyclists identifiable by law with some sort of number sticker on their bikes or a less practical route would be a plating system.

Then maybe it's time we start making cyclists identifiable by law with some sort of number sticker on their bikes or a less practical route would be a plating system.
That's more important than insurance imo. Lots of cameras around, makes it harder to run with impunity, easy to issue automated tickets, easy to find stolen bikes (ALPR on numbers reported stolen, unmarked adult size bikes get automatically stopped so riding around on stolen bikes becomes harder), same system can be used for ebikes (with or without additional requirements re: insurance/modifications, etc depending on political will).

I agree 100% where they should be identified in some way. Unfortunately enforcement is going to be about zero.

Plate them, make them pay an annual fee, watch the uproar, and then blow off the requirements anyway.

That's more important than insurance imo. Lots of cameras around, makes it harder to run with impunity, easy to issue automated tickets, easy to find stolen bikes (ALPR on numbers reported stolen, unmarked adult size bikes get automatically stopped so riding around on stolen bikes becomes harder), same system can be used for ebikes (with or without additional requirements re: insurance/modifications, etc depending on political will).
Unfortunately, this would likely just end up being another unenforced/unenforceable law. As it is I frequently see cyclists blow by on the sidewalk, ignore stop signs, and ignore one-way signs in plain view of police. Only once have I seen a cyclist get nailed for doing something illegal. It was when one blew through a crosswalk full of people at Ryerson and it was two bicycle cops who wrote him up for it.

Cops don't show up for emergencies, what are the odds of them actually policing (i.e.: their job) of bicycles and making sure the plates / identifies would be there:

Needed to call 9-1-1 a few days ago for an idiot on the road, took them 3-5min to answer as I got the 'your call is in priority sequence' message. That was a shocker. First time in my life I've heard that before.

Cops don't show up for emergencies, what are the odds of them actually policing (i.e.: their job) of bicycles and making sure the plates / identifies would be there:

Needed to call 9-1-1 a few days ago for an idiot on the road, took them 3-5min to answer as I got the 'your call is in priority sequence' message. That was a shocker. First time in my life I've heard that before.
If you have another phone handy, go for *opp on other one and there is normally no wait. It's sad when the emergency line is slower than the non-emergency line.

If you have another phone handy, go for *opp on other one and there is normally no wait. It's sad when the emergency line is slower than the non-emergency line.
Everyone knows 911. Very few bother to know the local non emergency number. If they would be more strict in enforcement of 911 abuse, it would be less of an issue.

Everyone knows 911. Very few bother to know the local non emergency number. If they would be more strict in enforcement of 911 abuse, it would be less of an issue.
I don't know all the local lines. When in doubt, call *OPP and either report and let them pass along or they can connect you to local police as appropriate. Often, I'm not really sure who has control of a specific section of road but operator sorts that out quickly.

I don't know all the local lines. When in doubt, call *OPP and either report and let them pass along or they can connect you to local police as appropriate. Often, I'm not really sure who has control of a specific section of road but operator sorts that out quickly.
As far as I know OPP jurisdiction starts on the on-ramps of any major highway. They don't deal on normal roads beyond a certain boundary (Orangeville going north?), and East/West at some point.

As far as I know OPP jurisdiction starts on the on-ramps of any major highway. They don't deal on normal roads beyond a certain boundary (Orangeville going north?), and East/West at some point.
They have control of lots of rural area. Hwy 9 west of 400 is OPP, east of 400 is YRP for instance. I only know that because I called for a driver east of 400 and they transferred me. Barrie Police work within city limits, move outside and OPP take over. It's not always obvious where that line is when you are near the edges.

Kid at work had a nice collision outside the office -- wrote of his and the other car. He was waiting in the intersection to make a left, when the light went red he started thru. Another car ran the red and he crunched the side. Both Japanese late model cars were write-offs.

YRP said they were on a shift change and would not respond as long as nobody was hurt. Advised the drivers to clear cars from the roadway, visit the reporting center and carry on. No charges, both drivers take 50% liability and look after their own damages. Kid had no collision insurance so he sold the car to the tow operator.

There were several YRPs chit-chatting in their cars at our local Tim's 500m down the road.

Kid at work had a nice collision outside the office -- wrote of his and the other car. He was waiting in the intersection to make a left, when the light went red he started thru. Another car ran the red and he crunched the side. Both Japanese late model cars were write-offs.

YRP said they were on a shift change and would not respond as long as nobody was hurt. Advised the drivers to clear cars from the roadway, visit the reporting center and carry on. No charges, both drivers take 50% liability and look after their own damages. Kid had no collision insurance so he sold the car to the tow operator.

There were several YRPs chit-chatting in their cars at our local Tim's 500m down the road.
He is lucky they didn't give him 100 percent of the blame. Last time someone I knew was on a collision like that they were told it will always be the left turner 100 percent no mater what the other person was doing.

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom