Struggling financially and getting frustrated? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Struggling financially and getting frustrated?

Oshawa? No.
Orillia? Maybe

The other places? Perhaps, hope you like multiple biddings.
6F203347-480D-41AB-9A5C-38155CCECA3F.pngIn the past 3 months 29 detached home have sold between the filters I set of $300,000-400,000. Bidding wars no doubt but that’s common at higher price levels as well.

View attachment 44424In the past 3 months 29 detached home have sold between the filters I set of $300,000-400,000. Bidding wars no doubt but that’s common at higher price levels as well.

What app/website is that?

Im surprised, I never see homes in oshawa for anything remotely affordable

The one I used there is housesigma and I also use Bungol. Bungol is better on desktop but I use the housesigma app on my phone.

It’s good because as you know asking prices don’t mean much. Sold prices are everything.

Here you go:

You can click through and see what $400K buys you in that area.

E4704489-1.jpg

Hamilton area

You are getting ancient 1950s or 1880s built homes for 400k... So another 100k for reno

You need at least 550 to 600k

Source: my real estate agent is trying to find me somewhere to live within a ~1 hr radius of KW. $400k just isn't cutting it and the real estate market is chugging along during COVID-19
???

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 44424In the past 3 months 29 detached home have sold between the filters I set of $300,000-400,000. Bidding wars no doubt but that’s common at higher price levels as well.
A lot of these are sold by a dirtbag realtor Dan Plowman, he specializes in the older wartime houses. He basically runs auctions - his listings regularly go to market 10-20% below market value then sets a day when all offers must be presented.

Where else can I get a $500,000 loan at 2% to buy an asset that is likely to go up in value yearly at a rate of 3-8%? Can't do it with stocks, I would already need $500,000 in cash to put up against a margin account and then a margin account can always get called so that's not great.

Here's an idea: make enough to survive, then figure out how you can reduce the overall suffering of the world (there is a lot.) And do that until you're dead.

I'm not holding my breath for many to adopt this style of thinking tho. Playing the system is easier than trying to do the above by a long shot.

Here's an idea: make enough to survive, then figure out how you can reduce the overall suffering of the world (there is a lot.) And do that until you're dead.

I'm not holding my breath for many to adopt this style of thinking tho. Playing the system is easier than trying to do the above by a long shot.

live off stock dividends volunteering around the world

I am as well. I'm counting on these forces to collapse the housing market:
  • The greed of previous generations
  • The lack of money management by the vast majority
  • The obsession with wanting to own a house
The US collapsed in 2008 because of this, and I hope it repeats itself as it'll be an opportunity for those who are diversified or not in it.
And for those of us that have a home and the ability to buy a second one.

Ontario real estate: You're 2 homes away from owning the home of your dreams

It’s not easy to get ahead, why not use all the tools we have at our disposal to try though?

I’m not trying to get rich by owning a house. I also don’t want to just survive or work forever. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel confident that being in Ontario one of the biggest drivers of creating wealth is real estate. I’m not exactly going out on a limb there.

That’s also why I encourage others to buy whatever they can. Maybe it’s not the area you like or the house isn’t up to your standards, but just get in and start building equity. I didn’t love the place I bought 10 years ago but in a way I had to do it (thankfully) and its done well for me.

live off stock dividends volunteering around the world

There are different ways to help aside from that.

For example, I'm friends with doctors. One of them hated his boomer boss (I gotta keep the theme going lol), quit, and wanted to start his own business. I noticed he was suffering, so offered to do all his IT work for free. He's a doctor, he's gonna help a lot more people than me, so by freeing up his time, he can help a lot more people. It's been 2 months and he keeps giving me stuff lol

There are other examples, but I can't say anything because we violated a bunch of NDAs and **** when they got me involved for free.

I’m not trying to get rich by owning a house. I also don’t want to just survive or work forever. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel confident that being in Ontario one of the biggest drivers of creating wealth is real estate. I’m not exactly going out on a limb there.

Not the only one, but yes, "one of the biggest".

That’s also why I encourage others to buy whatever they can. Maybe it’s not the area you like or the house isn’t up to your standards, but just get in and start building equity. I didn’t love the place I bought 10 years ago but in a way I had to do it (thankfully) and its done well for me.

More than anything, it forces you to actually save some of your paycheck instead of spending it all on trucks, TVs, smartphones and motorcycles. Even if real estate stagnates against inflation, you'll be building some sort of equity that can be accessed later to either move up the RE ladder, or to be shifted/leveraged into other investments.

RE is an easy path for those who don't want to spend too much time researching other investments. Plus it takes way more diligence and willpower to put money aside and invest in anything else if there isn't a bank breathing down your back threatening foreclosure and turfing you out onto the street if you don't pay the mortgage.

A lot of these are sold by a dirtbag realtor Dan Plowman, he specializes in the older wartime houses. He basically runs auctions - his listings regularly go to market 10-20% below market value then sets a day when all offers must be presented.
My exes parents lived next to that dirt bag he was in his 40s with an 18 year old wife at the time.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

It’s not easy to get ahead, why not use all the tools we have at our disposal to try though?

Because you're not reducing the overall suffering of the world through conscientiousness. You're just trying to survive.

Something I've noticed is an increase in really ****** software developers. I can sniff out a passionate dev because it isn't their job. They started on video games, still play video games, built computers for fun at some ridiculously young age, and went into the field because they were genuinely interested. The vast majority now, however, are transfers from business or art degrees. They're garbage. They scream for help all the time. They're just trying to survive instead of allowing their non-existent passion reduce suffering by creating amazing work with high levels of conscientiousness*. Age doesn't matter as I've seen this from fresh grads to 50 year old "senior devs."

And a lot of them are gonna keep working that way until they're dead. It's a spiral of fuckery that started with following money instead of "what am I passionate in and how do I help others with this passion?" Well, no **** living like this leads to buying stupid **** and wanting to retire early. It'd be like working at Wal-Mart until I'm dead lol

.......we're probably getting too philosophical for this topic though?

*Great example of this is Ontario's health care databases btw. I don't actually know how many we have because there are that many. This means A LOT of people just "did what they were told" instead of thinking "hmmm.......maybe my boss is a little retarded and I should speak up."

You are getting ancient 1950s or 1880s built homes for 400k... So another 100k for reno
That's another part of the problem. We have all gotten used to fancy houses. My brother was looking for houses for 400K and if it didn't have granite his wife balked. Frig me. Laminate is fine. Live with it. Fix major issues if you have them (roof, furnace etc) and leave the cosmetics alone until you have the cash sitting in the bank. The constant updating of starter homes is another part of this equation. People took what was a cheap small house, gutted it, added a second floor and finished it with granite and central air. At that point it is no longer an affordable starter home.

Friend just bought 2 story, 3brm, 2 br, 2 car garage free standing house in the Hammer on the beach strip $637K. vinyl siding, poorly made decks but decent lot in a sketchy nieghborhood. Its a good start, all appliances included. There are still some 400k ish places around but you need to be willing to comprimise , which is pretty hard for most folks.

Friend just bought 2 story, 3brm, 2 br, 2 car garage free standing house in the Hammer on the beach strip $637K. vinyl siding, poorly made decks but decent lot in a sketchy nieghborhood. Its a good start, all appliances included. There are still some 400k ish places around but you need to be willing to comprimise , which is pretty hard for most folks.
It's hard to wrap your head around paying many hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that is in rough shape. Mentally we all feel like if we are spending so much we should get something that looks great and functions well. Get stuck in that loop too long and the ship leaves the port. The ugly 400K house becomes 637K. The nice looking 650K house that you wanted but couldnt afford is now 1M.

I think one of the major points is if your monthly housing payment isnt building you equity, you should do everything reasonable to minimize it and invest the saved cash. Way too many people fall into the trap of "I can afford 2500 in rent" and then wonder why they never have money to invest or save towards a downpayment.

Back
Top Bottom