Struggling financially and getting frustrated? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Struggling financially and getting frustrated?

Congrats to your son. I've been saying it forever. If you want something bad enough you'll find a way. So many today, will not make the necessary sacrifices.
Thanks. He sent me this pic this after he left the lawyers office. He’s pretty happy!

9459F771-B2BE-4C9D-A008-E5D95E3E3B74.jpeg

Congratulations to your son! Where did he buy it? I think I should gather my balls and pull the trigger.
He’s in northern Ontario - Timmins. That was always his plan, find high paying job in a rural community. He’s in his element - fishing, camping, wilderness adventure and reasonably priced housing. The place he bought would have been $150-200k more in the lower cost areas around the GTA ( Innisfil, Hamilton or Oshawa )

Getting a jump start to home ownership is a great thing these days! Good on your son for getting into things.

I haven't been to Timmins in years. My Mom's family is from up there. I last went up years ago to bury her brother and take care of his estate. There used to be a great bar in the basement of what was then called the Senator Hotel. Right on main street in downtown Timmins. They had some really great hockey memorabilia in big glass cases on the walls there. That place was always packed late in the day. A number of old time hockey greats like the Mahovlich Bros. (Frank & Peter), Alan Stanley, Bob Nevin, Dean Prenetice among others came from that area. If that bar could talk, there'd be some awesome stories I"m sure (y)

People fromToronto shudder when they think of moving to the far north. After moving there for a few years they shudder more when they think of coming back.
It's so beautiful up north. Unless your main passion is 2 wheels.
As it is half of this forum is out riding and I'm still shoveling snow here in Barrie. The wife and I have talked many times about moving further out...

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

As it is half of this forum is out riding and I'm still shoveling snow here in Barrie. The wife and I have talked many times about moving further out...

There's a solution for that:

012016-timbersled-f-633x388.jpg

Im gonna make a long ass thread about this, but im looking at houses, farther away from the GTA, every now and then I see something that is affordable, fiscally responsible and checks all the boxes, but in my head, anything north of barrie/orillia is polar bear territory

For people who live up north, near the barrie area what's it like?

Some place like midland or gravenhurst or bracebridge

I also wonder what work will be like further up north for an HVAC tech, though I understand the job involves going from site to site, and everyone needs heating so it shouldnt be too bad

Im gonna make a long ass thread about this, but im looking at houses, farther away from the GTA, every now and then I see something that is affordable, fiscally responsible and checks all the boxes, but in my head, anything north of barrie/orillia is polar bear territory

I also wonder what work will be like further up north for an HVAC tech, though I understand the job involves going from site to site, and everyone needs heating so it shouldnt be too bad
The whole area is beautiful, the people are generally friendly and the snow isn't bad.
I grew up in Brantford, moved here 25 years ago and never considered going back. I've always considered going further north.
You will never be out of work as an hvac tech. With the right tickets and experience you will be "in demand" anywhere in Canada you'd like to go.
Don't settle if you don't have to. Figure out where you want to be and make it happen.
I came to visit my sister in Barrie for two weeks when I was 22, less than 6 months later I was back permanently.
Not so easy these days, kids in school, years in at "the job" for both the wife and I. Otherwise I'd be heading for the Kootenay mountains right now...
I digress, this was about you.
Seriously, just for ***** and giggles throw some resumes in up here, they are dying for tradespeople. You'd have to **** on someone's desk at the interview to not get hired.

sorry BP, but Barrie is now a suburb of TO
it ain't north

property is still kind of expensive in the Muskokas
and other than the cottage season busy months their isn't much going on
winters would be kind of a tough go, and boring

if you really want to consider north, read up on North Bay
large enough city that it doesn't rely on GTA activity
and it's not a mining sh1thole, best to avoid them
can't think of a city north or west of there that I'd live in

North Bay is a university town, some government offices
and defense facilities

winters are a little tougher than TO, but not much
very affordable real estate, and big enough to have everything you need
if you're into the outdoors it's great for that too

take a ride up and check it out
if you want, I'll go with you

I can connect you with my son, he runs the biggest hvac operation in the north. You gotta know boilers and be a gas fitter.

sorry BP, but Barrie is now a suburb of TO
it ain't north

property is still kind of expensive in the Muskokas
and other than the cottage season busy months their isn't much going on
winters would be kind of a tough go, and boring

if you really want to consider north, read up on North Bay
large enough city that it doesn't rely on GTA activity
and it's not a mining sh1thole, best to avoid them
can't think of a city north or west of there that I'd live in

North Bay is a university town, some government offices
and defense facilities

winters are a little tougher than TO, but not much
very affordable real estate, and big enough to have everything you need
if you're into the outdoors it's great for that too

take a ride up and check it out
if you want, I'll go with you
Winters are a **** load tougher in northern Ontario. Lotsa snow, most people need 4wd pickups as reliable transportation.

The upside is cost of living. Wages are high, cost of living low. The kid bought a cottage ( up there they call it a camp) with a few buddies, 20 acres with 2000 ft on the Porcupine River with a small cabin for $25k. Costs him $50/mo.

He can fly to Toronto for $100 each way on AC or porter, then on to my place down south for $300 return.

He’s a kid. He can take the tough life of the north. He’ll pay off his mortgage in 5 years, then when he’s down to $2k a year for taxes, invest a bunch.

At 45 he’ll be able to retire. If he works till 50 he’ll live large.

He’s in northern Ontario - Timmins. That was always his plan, find high paying job in a rural community. He’s in his element - fishing, camping, wilderness adventure and reasonably priced housing.

Your son sounds like a best friend I would be friends with. And I have only few who are into stuff just like myself. Fishing, camping, adventures and motorcycles.

Looking forward to the thread.

If you guys are hiring lmk XD

Barrie is looking better and better
Saw this yesterday:
76ba24efdc8a4ac5ceb992963c0f12e2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

at some point I'll get out of Oakville, wife will be done in 3 yrs (retired not dead), I could work anywhere. Right now the draw is a big lake but that will go away.
Something up the Bruce pennisula looks good, maybe Owen sound area. I'll take my 1.5 million out of the house and buy less out of the GTA. I dont want to cut grass, but I can hire a guy to cut a lot of grass with the house price differential.

Two problems with Barrie;
It's right on the south edge of a snow belt, and the road systems are ridiculous. You can't travel east or west through Barrie without hitting every traffic bottleneck. Traffic light location and sequencing must have been designed by the same morons that set up Kingston intersections.

Your son sounds like a best friend I would be friends with. And I have only few who are into stuff just like myself. Fishing, camping, adventures and motorcycles.
Maybe, but if you join his crowd you'd also need to be fond hockey, football, liquor and women.

Back
Top Bottom