Struggling financially and getting frustrated? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Struggling financially and getting frustrated?

at some point I'll get out of Oakville, wife will be done in 3 yrs (retired not dead), I could work anywhere. Right now the draw is a big lake but that will go away.
Something up the Bruce pennisula looks good, maybe Owen sound area. I'll take my 1.5 million out of the house and buy less out of the GTA. I dont want to cut grass, but I can hire a guy to cut a lot of grass with the house price differential.
That's similar to my plan, except I'm thinking the other end of the Escarpment, somewhere near Niagara. An extra month of summer, close to the family, prices reasonable, good proximity to airports and big water, not too far from civilization.

That's similar to my plan, except I'm thinking the other end of the Escarpment, somewhere near Niagara. An extra month of summer, close to the family, prices reasonable, good proximity to airports and big water, not too far from civilization.

I've been watching the area myself but Toronto prices have been sneaking up on the choice spots.

I've been watching the area myself but Toronto prices have been sneaking up on the choice spots.
To escape GTA pricing, you need to get far enough that commuting is not possible for the vast majority. Niagara has the added complication of GO train service to stretch the high pricing around the south side of the lake. Fort Erie, Delhi and similar radius may still be half reasonable.

The whole area is beautiful, the people are generally friendly and the snow isn't bad.
I grew up in Brantford, moved here 25 years ago and never considered going back. I've always considered going further north.
You will never be out of work as an hvac tech. With the right tickets and experience you will be "in demand" anywhere in Canada you'd like to go.
Don't settle if you don't have to. Figure out where you want to be and make it happen.
I came to visit my sister in Barrie for two weeks when I was 22, less than 6 months later I was back permanently.
Not so easy these days, kids in school, years in at "the job" for both the wife and I. Otherwise I'd be heading for the Kootenay mountains right now...
I digress, this was about you.
Seriously, just for ***** and giggles throw some resumes in up here, they are dying for tradespeople. You'd have to **** on someone's desk at the interview to not get hired.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong. I like my situation but too many people focus on the Toronto home owner snob thing. They figure that if they leave Toronto they will never be able to return.

Ages back someone asked about good riding roads in TO and the answer was "Any road leaving"

If you like the downtown action, live theatre and sports do your thing but so what if you head elsewhere and can't come back?

There is a curse that goes with the house being the biggest investment in a person's life. Every time you do something to it there's the thought of market value. You end up living inside a portfolio instead of a home.

Don't get me wrong. I like my situation but too many people focus on the Toronto home owner snob thing. They figure that if they leave Toronto they will never be able to return.

Ages back someone asked about good riding roads in TO and the answer was "Any road leaving"

If you like the downtown action, live theatre and sports do your thing but so what if you head elsewhere and can't come back?

There is a curse that goes with the house being the biggest investment in a person's life. Every time you do something to it there's the thought of market value. You end up living inside a portfolio instead of a home.
It is a reasonable assumption that most people can never move closer to TO (or closer to yonge st more specifically) without drastically changing their housing situation. Historically, the prices climb faster along the yonge corridor and therefore the gap between those houses and a house further away increases every year until it becomes insurmountable.

A friend moved from Aurora to Stouffville, hated it and wanted to move back but Aurora had climbed much faster and she wasn't in the position to add the extra 100K. As you get older, you are less willing (and likely less able) to add a huge debt load.

Sure you could sell your 5000 sq ft executive subdivision house in the burbs and buy a condo downtown but you probably won't be buying a detached house in a good neighbourhood in good shape. It doesn't matter how great your house is in Delhi, unless you had a lot of land, moving to TO means condos or a hugely increased debt load (or cashing out investments).

sorry BP, but Barrie is now a suburb of TO
it ain't north

property is still kind of expensive in the Muskokas
and other than the cottage season busy months their isn't much going on
winters would be kind of a tough go, and boring

if you really want to consider north, read up on North Bay
large enough city that it doesn't rely on GTA activity
and it's not a mining sh1thole, best to avoid them
can't think of a city north or west of there that I'd live in

North Bay is a university town, some government offices
and defense facilities

winters are a little tougher than TO, but not much
very affordable real estate, and big enough to have everything you need
if you're into the outdoors it's great for that too

take a ride up and check it out
if you want, I'll go with you

Sorry if I crap on someone but, IMO, the Muskokas have an oversupply of self centred snobs at all income levels. If you don't have a multi-million dollar cottage or if your great grandfather wasn't a lumberjack there you are seen as a newcomer and treated as such. Beautiful country, pity about the people.

One thing about small towns. Everyone knows everyone and a newcomer isn't known so it may take a while for full acceptance. In Toronto no one knows anyone so no one is fully accepted, ever.

Sorry if I crap on someone but, IMO, the Muskokas have an oversupply of self centred snobs at all income levels. If you don't have a multi-million dollar cottage or if your great grandfather wasn't a lumberjack there you are seen as a newcomer and treated as such. Beautiful country, pity about the people.

One thing about small towns. Everyone knows everyone and a newcomer isn't known so it may take a while for full acceptance. In Toronto no one knows anyone so no one is fully accepted, ever.
I find cottage country sad. All of the waterfront real estate has been gobbled up by people that rarely visit and the locals buy houses in swamps because that's what local incomes can afford. I know a lot of cottages that get visited a few times a year or less. I'm not sure if they are like the shiny Harley in the garage, an investment or just one of many toys that the owners don't have the time or will to fully utilize.

I find cottage country sad. All of the waterfront real estate has been gobbled up by people that rarely visit and the locals buy houses in swamps because that's what local incomes can afford. I know a lot of cottages that get visited a few times a year or less. I'm not sure if they are like the shiny Harley in the garage, an investment or just one of many toys that the owners don't have the time or will to fully utilize.
My buddy is in HVAC, in the spring he sets up a monster Lake Muskoka cottage for the summer. In the fall he sets it up for winter. Rinse and repeat.
He's pretty sure that he's the only one that's ever been in the pool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Traffic light location and sequencing must have been designed by the same morons that set up Kingston intersections.
They're not morons, they're brain dead. I swear their traffic computer is off by 12 hours. Hit every red light coming in in the morning, and the same on the way home. Every once in a while, it seems the computer glitches, and I hit greens for a day or two until they notice it and reset it to nobody moves more than a block at a time. The exception is Brock St. where if you go exactly 30 mph you can hit every green; all it takes is one guy racing to the next light though, and everyone is boned.

As much as I want to move to some of these spots it doesn't make sense if you have kids...

Education wise.. In high school there could be No AP or IB courses. Suree they could go into trades but I still want the kid(s) to have strong foundations

As much as I want to move to some of these spots it doesn't make sense if you have kids...

Education wise.. In high school there could be No AP or IB courses. Suree they could go into trades but I still want the kid(s) to have strong foundations
Assuming you move near a major centre in a region I expect education should be reasonable. If you are in one of the small rural schools, I could see only a limited course selection due to limited students, teachers and facilities.

its been a while since iv seen the education system, but back in my day schools had academic(university prep stem courses) or applied(college courses)

that's a good observation
even if you end up in small city with good schools
if you're in a northern location
your kids are likely to end up pretty far away, for good
unless you're okay with them driving a logging truck

Housing pricing has increased in TO by 16.9% the average price is now $970,000+ or so the experts say...
I see so many people live outside their means, but hey got to look good on Fakebook...
"Hey all the people I don't care about and don't care about me, look how good I'm doing!"

Reactions: J_F
Moved from Brampton to north end St. Catharines 2 years ago. Couldn't be happier! Just the right size place for us. Everything you could need within a 10 min. drive max. Great eateries and other entertainment options. Lake is 2 blocks away and two marinas close by should I want to get into boating. North of Lakeshore Rd. is the area to be. Quiet, very friendly and close to everything. Hardest part was finding a suitable house. It's either older bungalows in need of a lot of renovations or new builds which are getting pretty expensive lately. St. Catharines doesn't get hammered with snow either. I've shoveled my driveway only a few times since I've lived here. The snow all goes just south to Niagara Falls, Welland, Port Colbourne & Fort Erie

erent
that's a good observation
even if you end up in small city with good schools
if you're in a northern location
your kids are likely to end up pretty far away, for good
unless you're okay with them driving a logging truck

My kids grew up in the GTA with their pick of post secondary education, my dream for both kids was the education they wanted and they would leave school with zero student debt. They both ended up in Northern Alberta. How did I F that up ?? LOL

erent

My kids grew up in the GTA with their pick of post secondary education, my dream for both kids was the education they wanted and they would leave school with zero student debt. They both ended up in Northern Alberta. How did I F that up ?? LOL
At least they are close to each other. I know some families with one kid in Europe, one kid in Oz and the family home is here. Visiting the grand kids is a very long, very expensive proposition. Moving close to one family moves you even further from the other.

AP or IB are way harder than academic courses

IB was too much with my quirks and where I lived. So my parents forced me to take AP.
I hated the AP courses when I was younger but it was so beneficial when I actually went to University.

Those courses gave us a edge trying to get admissions into high end STEM universities like University of Waterloo

Also it made the 1st year courses a breeeze because we were taught how to learn... Like I did not feel as overwhelmed compared to the other students. My other friends who took AP also felt similar

This!

I moved to Alliston when I bought my first house at 22. Born and raised in Bramalea. No not Brampton!. Purchased here because I couldn't afford to buy further south. I didn't whine about it. Just made the best of it.
If you didn't go to school here you're considered an outsider. Now, we did raise two amazing girls here and that made us legit.:)

Also even though it wasn't my first choice of places to live, we have zero regrets. 33 years here now. Great place to raise a family. Super nice people.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom