Stocks | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

ROGO (long post, won't quote) one of the best posts I've read.

I'm a caffeine junkie, so I buy a lot of coffee. But on the weekends, when I have more time, I make my own.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing those 4 points to tell my kids.

I also try to tell the kids at work to start saving/ investing now. I know I wish I did 20-odd years ago. I ask them how much they think they can put away, then I up that amount by 50%. I would say 9 / 10 times, a few months later, they don't miss the extra $$ from their cheques.

One thing I tell people / my kids: You can have anything you want; just not everything you want.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

ROGO (long post, won't quote) one of the best posts I've read.

I'm a caffeine junkie, so I buy a lot of coffee. But on the weekends, when I have more time, I make my own.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing those 4 points to tell my kids.

I also try to tell the kids at work to start saving/ investing now. I know I wish I did 20-odd years ago. I ask them how much they think they can put away, then I up that amount by 50%. I would say 9 / 10 times, a few months later, they don't miss the extra $$ from their cheques.

One thing I tell people / my kids: You can have anything you want; just not everything you want.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

^^+1 No worries take what you like from my posts. Just make sure to research everything even things that I tell you. :)

Boots: I don’t own Tesla, wish I did back when it was $50 though.

Below are a few Canadian Stocks I own and that I like now:

CGI.TO, BAM/A.TO, CNR.TO, TD.TO, VRX.TO, SW.TO

Playing with:

PHM.V, MSL.TO, SVC.TO and NLN.TO

I have US stocks too but I personally don’t recommend exchanging your Canadian to US right now.

But if you must I like and own:

DIS, SBUX, UVE, MA, KR and LUV to name a few

Playing with:

ZAYO, ATVI, MU, BABA, SWKS

You can look up all these stocks here http://stockcharts.com/

Most of these are all good for long term play with exception of the below $10 stocks. As you may have noticed I like to diversify. I only buy direct stocks. Not Mutual funds, ETFs or Options etc…
Not that there’s anything wrong with those vehicles, I just like keeping things simple. And hate paying unnecessary fees.

There are so many rules to follow to make sure you don’t lose everything but the most important rule is the 1% rule. This rule is a little hard to follow when you first start but as you begin to build your portfolio it will save you many times.

1% rule is don’t invest more than 1% of your entire portfolio in any one stock. For example if you have $100k don’t invest more than $1000 in a stock to save you from losing big. Doesn’t seem practical so you may want to bump it up to a 10% rule at the start. Not to mention when you are starting make sure you only own what you can handle. Typically no more than 5 - 15 stocks.

Therefore with a $10000 investment you can own 10 stocks at $1000 each.
Oh man I can go on and on. Hope this helps some of you who are looking to start out. Good luck all and practice on paper before diving in.

Last edited:
Anyone own Tesla stocks?

NO

Love the car, hate the stock. Very speculative. The cars are all still pretty new. If those lithium battery packs start failing, they are going to be in a world of hurt. Also, the company doesn't really make money selling cars - they make money by cashing in on emission credits that they sell to other manufacturers, and that is very vulnerable to the whims of government administration.

Yes, it would have been nice to have bought this back when it was $50. But back when that stock was $50, there was no way (for me) to distinguish between Tesla (which has thus far more-or-less succeeded) and Fisker, Aptera, Zap, and a number of others, and where are they now. At the time that TSLA was $50, they had a high probability of failure, and their future is still not assured. What happens if GM builds something competitive? The Chevrolet Bolt was at the Toronto auto show and they've announced that they're going to build it.

I'm quite content to have missed this one.

NO

Love the car, hate the stock. Very speculative. The cars are all still pretty new. If those lithium battery packs start failing, they are going to be in a world of hurt. Also, the company doesn't really make money selling cars - they make money by cashing in on emission credits that they sell to other manufacturers, and that is very vulnerable to the whims of government administration.

Yes, it would have been nice to have bought this back when it was $50. But back when that stock was $50, there was no way (for me) to distinguish between Tesla (which has thus far more-or-less succeeded) and Fisker, Aptera, Zap, and a number of others, and where are they now. At the time that TSLA was $50, they had a high probability of failure, and their future is still not assured. What happens if GM builds something competitive? The Chevrolet Bolt was at the Toronto auto show and they've announced that they're going to build it.

I'm quite content to have missed this one.

Very valid points and same reason why it didn't hit my radar. For anyone starting out don't play the get rich quick game. Buy companies that are undervalued, have money in the bank and are making profits. Once you have some play money feel free to try speculative stocks. After all, there is a little gambler in all of us. Vegas is proof of that and so is the Lottery.

Honestly I'm not as involved as you guys are in the market. I try to make educated decisions based on facts but the market speculates too much. I don't want to lose too much. I'm happy with smaller gains. I don't stay with any stock other than bank for over 4 months no matter the gain.

Recently I started buying stocks before their financials are coming out. Usually try to make educated decisions on what will show positive and out perform analyst expectations. Except tech. Stay away from that beast.

My preferred safeguard is the automatic sell on stop price. I set my floor price for a given stock and set an automatic sell to occur if the stock drops to that price. I reevaluate and ratchet up my sell on stop price periodically so I can lock in share price increases as a stock price ratchets up.

Had I used your 15% rule, I would have lost out on $300K of gains last year from a stock that just wouldn't quit rising. Instead, a 15% sell on stop threshold would have made more sense.

There is nothing wrong with tech. I work in the tech industry and its done very well for me over the years. Apple, Oracle, Microsoft, OpenText. Intel and many more are great stocks. Don't be afraid of any one sector but at the same time don't buy if your not familiar or comfortable doing so. There are so many options pick a few to ensure diversity in your portfolio.

Thanks all for the pointers in the right direction! Turns out that I have the 'Intelligent investor' book here in the house so will read it soon.

I was thinking of allowing a very small (less than 5%) of after tax income to learn with investing. Start with some solid dividend paying stocks with DRIP in order to just let it grow.

Need to look more into TFSA trading accounts though. Any suggestions? Currently I only have the TFSA from ING/Tangerine as a savings account that's maxed out yearly, but that's a stupidly low % rate.

Need to look more into TFSA trading accounts though. Any suggestions? Currently I only have the TFSA from ING/Tangerine as a savings account that's maxed out yearly, but that's a stupidly low % rate.

Start by looking at where you bank. Then look at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob.../2014-online-broker-rankings/article21783584/ and see if the value-add obtained by going elsewhere exceeds the value-already-had by staying with where you bank now.

I bank at TD Canada-Trust and I trade through TD-Waterhouse. Doing it this way makes cash transfers between banking and investment accounts a little simpler.

That works well for me. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks all for the pointers in the right direction! Turns out that I have the 'Intelligent investor' book here in the house so will read it soon.

I was thinking of allowing a very small (less than 5%) of after tax income to learn with investing. Start with some solid dividend paying stocks with DRIP in order to just let it grow.

When the TFSA option first came out I also started with ING/Tangerine account with very low interest rate. It's better than keeping it in your saving account that's for sure. You can move that over to your local bank trading account and have the option of trading stocks, mutual funds or ETF's for better returns.

You must keep in mind that when trading in your TFSA or RRSP account the advantage is you don't pay taxes initially while they remain registered in the account. The disadvantage is you cannot claim any losses at the end of the year. My advice with these type of accounts is to trade more secure less risky stocks to limit the losses you may have.

Advantage of TFSA is while your money is growing it grows tax free. When you take it out to cash you get 100% of the cash amount you take out. Disadvantage, whatever you take out you cannot put back into the TFSA account until the following year.

Advantage RRSP. Tax refund. Gains while registered grow tax free. Disadvantage is when you cash out you will be subject to paying taxes on the amount you cash out based on your total yearly income. That's why many books say RRSP is setup for people not intending to have alot of money at retirement. Think about it. If you have a few Million in your RRSP at retirement and are forced to take out 10% or whatever as a RIF that could be over $100k/year. Which after tax could end up being $50k.

Things that make you go hmmm...

Last edited:
Speaking of lessons to discuss with "young people", for anyone who works for a company that does RRSP matching and doesn't participate, what are you waiting for???

Some companies will match your contribution to a certain percentage of your salary.

That means if you contribute say $1000 your company will match your contribution.

Where else can you make 100% on your income just like that!!

Before investing in stocks think about this option and double your money right away.

All this free advise... I should start a financial adviser practice. :)

Last edited:
Then there's what NOT to do.

On this holiday Monday, CNBC is playing episodes of "American Greed". Worth watching.

While there are plenty of innovative scam artists ... "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" will sniff out most of these schemes, and "don't put all your eggs in one basket" will limit the damage in the event that something gets past the first rule ...

TD account all set up and ready to go. Buying into TDB908 tomorrow morning. Very exciting.

#grownuplife

TD account all set up and ready to go. Buying into TDB908 tomorrow morning. Very exciting.

#grownuplife

You've read the warnings. Re-read. All your eggs in 1 basket = bad things may happen.
That TDB908 is all tech, if I remember.

Yah yah, that's just the start. I'm getting my yearly bonus in 2 weeks, that's gonna go in TDB902. Then I'm going to keep adding to both at every paycheck and not touch the money for 8-10 years.

The wife is doing the same but in lower-risk mutual funds w/ a higher MER.

I'm doing the heavy gamboling.

Yah yah, that's just the start. I'm getting my yearly bonus in 2 weeks, that's gonna go in TDB902. Then I'm going to keep adding to both at every paycheck and not touch the money for 8-10 years.

The wife is doing the same but in lower-risk mutual funds w/ a higher MER.

I'm doing the heavy gamboling.
Just looked at tbd902. Solid to great growth since 2009. How much would you have to start with on this one so fees don't eat everything up?

What happens if GM builds something competitive? .

Like the electric Volt that's been out for a few years now and that nobody is buying?

Great thread, BTW. Very interesting read. Thanks to all that contributed.....

#grownuplife

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/funds-and-etfs/funds/summary/?id=50535

Always a good start whatever investment you buy. Make sure to know what is your exit strategy and how much you are prepared to lose before you pull the shoot and take any emotion out of the game/gamble.

Monitor the stocks that are part of the ETF and pick a few that you might want to own directly. In future you may want to try and manage things yourself. However, ETF's are great vehicles for diversity and low management fees compared to a Mutual Fund. It's the next best thing to picking stocks on your own.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Just looked at tbd902. Solid to great growth since 2009. How much would you have to start with on this one so fees don't eat everything up?

Minimum purchase is $100 for this ETF. MER is 0.35% that's 35cents on your $100 investment. Purchase away and don't worry too much about those low rates.

I've never bought an ETF so I'm not sure besides the MER if there is a trade amount like the $9.99 when buying a stock directly. (I'll assume not) I also don't know the minimum time-frame you need to be in not to incur additional fees/penalty.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom