Stocks | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

Re: ROGO's post company match -- my company gives 50% match on RPP contributions, and some people here don't contribute. Are you f'n kidding me? I'll take that 50% return, thank you very much.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

From what I gather ETFs are traded like stocks, so you pay whatever flat transaction fee your brokerage charges.

If you're small potatoes like me, buying into them cheap index funds makes more sense - they're a mutual fund, so I'll be able to add my bi-weekly 100 bucks to each fund at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minimum purchase is $100 for this ETF. MER is 0.35% that's 35cents on your $100 investment. Purchase away and don't worry too much about those low rates.

It's not an ETF though. Plain old mutual fund that just mimics the S&P 500. TD doesn't offer ETFs unless I'm mistaken.

It's not an ETF though. Plain old mutual fund that just mimics the S&P 500. TD doesn't offer ETFs unless I'm mistaken.

What's rhe difference?

You can buy and sell a mutual fund at no cost. An ETF is like a stock and most brokerages charge a flat $10 or so per transaction. ETFs seem to make more sense once you have a decent amount, i.e. 6 figures and up, to play with.

You can buy and sell a mutual fund at no cost. An ETF is like a stock and most brokerages charge a flat $10 or so per transaction. ETFs seem to make more sense once you have a decent amount, i.e. 6 figures and up, to play with.

Not necessarily 6 figures. However, if you are paying $10/trade plus MER for an ETF then when you add up all the fees you're probably going to end up around 3% per $1000. That's equivalent to buying a mutual fund.

I prefer to stay 2% or well below for any fees so higher contributions do help to make that happen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchelltuchman/2013/06/28/what-is-an-etf-three-simple-answers/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/feeonly...al-funds-and-exchange-traded-funds-explained/

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/etf.asp
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stock-etf.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange-traded_fund

What's rhe difference?

An ETF, or "Exchange Traded Fund" is exactly that. It trades on the "Stock Exchange". If you buy a Cdn ETF, it trades on the TSX. If you buy a USA ETF, they trade on the NYSE. Mutual funds are simply bought & sold through banks.

All ETF's are available for trade through any broker / online brokerage, including TD.

My fav ETF atm, is HOD.TO. I just pulled >$1400 out of it in 2 days, via my TFSA.
Beats working.

An ETF, or "Exchange Traded Fund" is exactly that. It trades on the "Stock Exchange". If you buy a Cdn ETF, it trades on the TSX. If you buy a USA ETF, they trade on the NYSE. Mutual funds are simply bought & sold through banks.

All ETF's are available for trade through any broker / online brokerage, including TD.

My fav ETF atm, is HOD.TO. I just pulled >$1400 out of it in 2 days, via my TFSA.
Beats working.
How much did you invest into that. Looks interesting I'm looking at it now

I used 300 dollars (first time buying stocks ) for am oil company and would make 100 dollars if I sold it now. My shares were 12.20 when I bought them

But you should factor in 20 dollars in bank administration fees for buying and selling stocks. So my guess the absolute minimum would be stock price plus 20 dollars.
If you want to buy stock such as oil or bank shares how much cash minimum are you looking at to even buy?

I used 300 dollars (first time buying stocks ) for am oil company and would make 100 dollars if I sold it now. My shares were 12.20 when I bought them

But you should factor in 20 dollars in bank administration fees for buying and selling stocks. So my guess the absolute minimum would be stock price plus 20 dollars.
When did you buy them

If you want to buy stock such as oil or bank shares how much cash minimum are you looking at to even buy?

You can buy one share, if you want to. Keep in mind that there is a fixed transaction cost of around $10 to get in, and $10 to get out, no matter if it is one share or a thousand. If that $20 is more than a certain (your judgment call) percentage of the transaction, it's not worth doing.

Transaction costs is what kills day traders. If you're buying something with the aim of sitting on it for months or years, then it doesn't matter so much.

Buying stocks is great but be careful and be patient. Oil is cheap right now but there is talk of it potentially going lower.

If you have to buy now go ahead just don't put your whole investment in expecting it to shoot up right away. It will be volatile over the next several months so dip in slowly. If you play for the long term then it doesn't really matter as Oil will bounce back past its current lows in a couple years. It's very cyclical.

I dipped into a few oil/energy stocks couple weeks back and they shot up to 18-40%, I took my profits and I'm waiting for it to potentially go back down and dip back in again. I wish I bought more but, I also know that I would have kicked myself if the opposite happened.

I picked up SU.TO, CPG.TO, BTE.TO, CNQ.TO They quickly went down and shot up and stayed up since.

The experts say it will go down, I'm waiting before I dip in bigger. The nice thing about those stocks is they pay a big dividend so I get paid monthly in some cases to wait. :)

What's everyone's thought on Barclays BCS:US? I was thinking about some European (specifically German) banks.

What's everyone's thought on Barclays BCS:US? I was thinking about some European (specifically German) banks.

Not much movement = security, but a very low dividend.
How's 'bout a couple high yielding, go nowhere stocks instead?
NLY
CIM
Just a thought.

Be careful with your money.
The overall feeling is starting to get like some of the motorcycle discussions here.
Do your homework or hire someone competent to do it.

Back
Top Bottom