Starlink speeds | GTAMotorcycle.com

Starlink speeds

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Can anyone currently using Starlink do a speed test and let me know your speeds and the area you're in (city, town)

Many thanks

That is good news. While Internet is the only thing that is getting downgraded 100mbps is very liveable. Thanks

100mbps is the lowest we see, we monitor all our connections and it's been 100% uptime since Aug 1st.

Clear view to the north seems to be the major requirement. Some dropouts with heavy snow/rain but they're brief. Those are what I'm seeing from doing research also as Starlink might be in our future as well. Keep in mind Amazon is currently looking to offer a similar service in the possible near future which could see a lower monthly premium.

If anyone gets starlink, I recommend turning dish heating to manual and turning it on as required. Auto dish heating has some issues. It comes on at times that don't make sense (waste of power) and far more importantly, it seems to burn up cables far more often than you'd expect. When cable fails, you are dead in the water until you replace the cable (and you need to get a cable from SL). Depending on the ease or difficulty of installation, I would probably buy a spare cable on day one and run it beside your active cable. If cable fails, you just need to switch cable connections instead of running cable and trying to get it through the building envelope in the middle of winter.

Are the local internet options that bad or non existent that StarLink is required? I always think of it being primarily for the boonies way the hell out there…

My buddy north of Algonquin Park was considering it but found a local ISP for a better price.

Are the local internet options that bad or non existent that StarLink is required? I always think of it being primarily for the boonies way the hell out there…

My buddy north of Algonquin Park was considering it but found a local ISP for a better price.
People not that far from me have no better options. Many have bell 5Mbps as their best option for wired. Cell signal sucks so those options aren't great either. It's not so much boonies as outside of a recently built-up area (and outside may be across the street).

Some people do it just to increase speed. We can get 30MBps max with DSL. A neighbour went with starlink as they wanted faster. We now have fibre so they got rid of starlink.

Depending on the work from home situation, I know a few people using SL as well as a conventional provider so they don't have to worry about one going down. Obviously there is significant cost involved with this solution.

For my area I think I only have "wireless" options, was hoping for DSL but don't think that will be for awhile.
Bell offer wireless 25mpbs but it is limited and too slow for our needs, Starlink seems to be the one to go for.

For my area I think I only have "wireless" options, was hoping for DSL but don't think that will be for awhile.
Bell offer wireless 25mpbs but it is limited and too slow for our needs, Starlink seems to be the one to go for.
The bell wireless is garbage but much better garbage than xplor. Starlink will be the only reasonable option.

Sent from the future

I thought you said FIBE is available?
Or will be in the future?

I thought you said FIBE is available?
Or will be in the future?
Contacted Bell, I think the use of "Fibe" was either a broad term or a mistake by owners/realtor...
According to Bell only wireless available 25mbps, will be easier to check once we're on site.

Installed our SL system about a month ago (upper part of Brighton) and I work from home. No issues, great speeds (at LEAST 60 down, 12 up), way better than any other option around here (countryside, lots of farmland).

If anyone is ever considering Xplore (formerly Xplornet), save yourself a terrible experience and go with Starlink instead.

I find it fluctuates quite a bit at times, but generally speaking I can expect 100-150 Mbps down and 15-20 Mbps up. Right now these are my speed test results (from both dishy and ookla) on a drizzly Sunday afternoon half-way between Haliburton and Bancroft:

eICRJbY.png

PHQ4KWj.png

I find it fluctuates quite a bit at times, but generally speaking I can expect 100-150 Mbps down and 15-20 Mbps up. Right now these are my speed test results (from both dishy and ookla) on a drizzly Sunday afternoon half-way between Haliburton and Bancroft:

eICRJbY.png

PHQ4KWj.png
Wow those are surprisingly decent speeds. Do you use any streaming services?
Netflix etc...

Wow those are surprisingly decent speeds. Do you use any streaming services?
Netflix etc...

Yes, streaming works no problem - the only times I _sometimes_ have issues are when both my wife and I are video conferencing at the same time (so both using upload pipe) or when I'm video gaming during prime time. Gaming is workable (counter strike, pugb, etc) but I do get packet loss at times. Pings to east coast game servers are about 80-100ms.

Yes, streaming works no problem - the only times I _sometimes_ have issues are when both my wife and I are video conferencing at the same time (so both using upload pipe) or when I'm video gaming during prime time. Gaming is workable (counter strike, pugb, etc) but I do get packet loss at times. Pings to east coast game servers are about 80-100ms.
Good to read. Did you order directly through Starlink?

Back
Top Bottom