Rusted Bolts - Caution needed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rusted Bolts - Caution needed?

Jonnie

I ride a 2008 Ninja 250R and I noticed rust on the 4 bolts that hold the handles to the forks. I've purchased 4 replacement bolts from Kahuna Powersports. My question is, do I need to take any precautions before using my hex key to remove these bolts? I'm worried the rust may strip away leaving the bolts unremovable. Please let me know if there's anything I should be wary of, any lubricant I should use or if my worry is misplaced.

cimg0084e.jpg

You might try spraying in some PB Blaster, Gunks Liquid Wrench, or even some WD, for a day or two before trying to loosen them. (Just mind your paintwork)

You probably won't have much trouble, but make sure you've got a decent allen key with no rounded corners.. And a bit of leverage will help too.

M

edit:

Are you replacing them because of that tiny bit of surface rust? Not that it's my business, but those look quite fine.. And you can get bolt covers for those hex heads to pretty it up :)

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about that is minimal surface rust, just remove them normally...

I personally wouldnt be happy with even that little amount of rust, especially since they are right in your face all the time...

I would have gotten some stainless steel bolts to replace them, so they dont rust again...

There are also suppose to be plastic caps that push into the heads so you wont see the rust anyway. Its certainly not a structure issue.

I've purchased 4 replacement bolts from Kahuna Powersports.

Are the replacement bolts steel or SS? ...if they'r the same OEM bolts...they will RUST over time again!

you can just leave a bit of oil (or WD-40) on the bolts to help prevent rust build up

Thanks for all the replies. I'll find out if the replacements are SS. If not, I may cancel the order or use WD-40 when I get them. My rationale for replacing them is so I don't have to deal with the rust getting worst later on this season or next (especially when it comes time to sell my bike). But if this rust is strictly visual and not structural, I guess I won't worry about it.

Does anybody know where I can buy bolt covers locally? Google search didn't reveal much to me.

Back
Top Bottom