Rosey Toes - Still scratching up rims... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rosey Toes - Still scratching up rims...

I heard a lot about Ted scratching rims. I took all my tires/wheels to him when I had both my '86's cause I didn't care too much about scratching.

When I got my pristine and immaculate '97 I decided I better not take any chances and took it to a well known and reputable shop so I wouldn't get any scratches.

Though they did a good job, they did scratch my rear rim alot, as he was trying to remove the rear wheel without removing the Exhaust can. The rear caliper scratched the wheel something fierce until he decided he better remove the can too.

Moral of the story is, take the wheels off yourself whenever possible. I usually do but I figured with a single sided swingarm and with the shops high praises, there was little chance of them damaging the rim. :rolleyes:

Oof, I just went out and checked my bike. The rims are all scratched up.
I haven't even been to Ted's yet; in fact I haven't had a tire change on this bike yet.
Does Ted sneak into people's garages at night and scratch up their tires, or is it another culprit - the road.

I've had some repairs done by Ted and they were well done at a reasonable and expected price.

Gee, it has been two or three years since I have been to Ted`s for a tire change; He used those nylon protectors then. Has he stopped????

I don't know how ppl don't care about scratches and such. Maybe it's because your bike isn't in great condition in the first place. Who knows. But if your bike is in great condition, of course you are going to be ******. I would think all this should go without saying... Clearly not. I ride hard as well. I track my bike. I put on tons of km's every season and I use my full tire. But I wash my bike and keep it in the best condition possible, and if Ted scratched MY pearlescent rims, I'd lose it on him. But you get what you pay for is the moral of this story I would say. Don't seek out the cheapest possible solution and put your money into the most reputable shop you can trust the most.

Totally agree C-Note. I hate seeing scratches on that beautiful blacked out paint job on my bike. Going to get a few taken out this winter. ;)

But as you said yourself, you wouldn't go to some bargain basement shop to get your work done. You've spent a lot of time and money on that bike of yours and it looks great.

Ted provides a great service for a certain clientele. But stating you'd already heard there were problems...then complaining about it afterwards? Silliness.

Yup, he scratched my rims too. Blamed it on the cold. It is a "get what you pay for" thing and Ted's tire changing.

Butsky?

Look who crawled out of the wood work.

Gee, it has been two or three years since I have been to Ted`s for a tire change; He used those nylon protectors then. Has he stopped????

What does the "cold" have to do with scratching?!!! Nothing!

Tires are a lot stiffer when they are cold and require a lot more effort/force to mount. Depending on the technique and equipment being used it could certainly mean there is a greater risk of scratching rims. However, with the right equipment and technique it should be pretty much impossible to scratch rims.

Tires are a lot stiffer when they are cold and require a lot more effort/force to mount. Depending on the technique and equipment being used it could certainly mean there is a greater risk of scratching rims. However, with the right equipment and technique it should be pretty much impossible to scratch rims.

+1 I put on new Michelin tires with my bare hands, no tool or machine even touches the rims at all......I cant do that with all tire brands/models thou, some are hard as a rock even when brand new. Temp also plays a big factor...

+1 I put on new Michelin tires with my bare hands, no tool or machine even touches the rims at all......I cant do that with all tire brands/models thou, some are hard as a rock even when brand new. Temp also plays a big factor...

there is something about michelin's that make mounting / unmounting them super easy

try it old school....with a rubber mallet, and that was with intertubes & rim locks

Sometimes when its really cold(SOAR 2010), we will a cook tire in a tire warmer for a few minutes, which makes for much friendlier changes. Tearing the beads out of ntec slicks is an expensive proposition!

Ted scratched my rear rim a couple years back when he plugged my tire, but he made everything all better when he offered me a hand job from the car mechanic located at the end of the alley. Stand up guy in my books.

Ted scratched my rear rim a couple years back when he plugged my tire, but he made everything all better when he offered me a hand job from the car mechanic located at the end of the alley. Stand up guy in my books.

+1. Thanks for the laugh

Back
Top Bottom