Removing stuck hardware | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Removing stuck hardware

Hm
1.5 hrs in and still no luck, been hammering away, even used the new propane torch on it to heat it up...

Feel like I should have just bought that dremel tool and called it a day

Last edited:
that doesnt look like stuck hardware or raceway to me...

Feel like most of the videos online show races with an upper lip which can then be smacked with a punch or screwdriver to get it off, this particular one is round and smooth

Feel like my only option is a dremel

The inner race on the bottom of the steering stem is a rotten son-of-a-gun at the best of times.

Know how I fix those?

I take the stem, with bearing still on it that I want to remove, to Pro 6 Cycle, "Here, can you fix this", pay a small invoice, and shortly thereafter get back a steering stem that doesn't have a bearing race on it.

Certain things aren't worth stressing out over ... just give the job to someone who has done it before and has the right tools to do it.

mechanics can teach perseverance
have you given it a good soak in penetrating oil ? maybe even overnight?
you can freeze the entire thing, and then use the propane torch to heat up only the race,
avoid heating the stem, and keep the heat directed and moving around the race

I am thinking a splitter is the right tool for that race. Turns it into a safe job that only takes a few seconds.

bearing-splitter-otc-otc1122-pa1.jpg

I have had good success with carving a groove in it as deep as i can without getting the stem, and then giving it a good hard smack with a heavy chisel and hammer. That will crack the race and make it easy to slide off. Very gentle with the Dremel tho.

I have had good success with carving a groove in it as deep as i can without getting the stem, and then giving it a good hard smack with a heavy chisel and hammer. That will crack the race and make it easy to slide off. Very gentle with the Dremel tho.
This would be my approach.

@bigpoppa
I'm not too far from you if you want to borrow a dremel, or a grinder with a metal cutting blade if you're feeling brave.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

This is my technique. Dremel to cut a groove in it, split it with a chisel and hammer, reuse it to press the new race on

mechanics can teach perseverance
have you given it a good soak in penetrating oil ? maybe even overnight?
you can freeze the entire thing, and then use the propane torch to heat up only the race,
avoid heating the stem, and keep the heat directed and moving around the race
Don't bother freezing it... heat transfer in thin steel tube being what it is.....
But apply a liberal amount of heat, use a propane torch it won't get too hot, hold it upside down and SLAM it down on a piece of wood and that bearing will fall off.
Failing that, cut TWO grooves as deep as you dare to go, if you ding the tube it's no big deal, and the internal stress in that bearing that is PRESSED on will snap it, and it fall off.

... but yeah, this is why they make bearing pullers.
How are installing the new ones? With a hammer?

If you WANT to use freeze:
A liberal application of heat to the race
Holding the triple upside down, take a can of compressed air held upside down and blast into the tube. Instant freeze inside, heat outside= bearing falls off

Don't bother freezing it... heat transfer in thin steel tube being what it is.....
But apply a liberal amount of heat, use a propane torch it won't get too hot, hold it upside down and SLAM it down on a piece of wood and that bearing will fall off.
Failing that, cut TWO grooves as deep as you dare to go, if you ding the tube it's no big deal, and the internal stress in that bearing that is PRESSED on will snap it, and it fall off.

... but yeah, this is why they make bearing pullers.
How are installing the new ones? With a hammer?

hammer with the old race guiding the new one ins

Or:
Look at the bottom of the triple. If it is NOT welded, support the triple over something with a hole a bit larger than the tube, A big socket maybe, and using your press, push the tube down, releasing the bearing. Put the new bearing in place, and using your shop press, push the tube back into place.

If you substitute the shop press with a ape with a big hammer, I don't care, it's your bike. You do you. (Put something soft between the hammer and the tube: brass aluminum hard wood)

Those are a bugger to release -- rusted together and a really tightfit in the first place.

Some Canadian Tires and Parts Source stores loan race pullers for free. I got one from my local store to pull 4 races off a 50 year old dual axle boat trailer. Should have gone sooner.

Be sure to yer some anti-sieze when replacing. Might help the next owner.

It's not a big deal to get that out....
If the stem is pressed into the bottom triple, press the entire thing out...the race will come out.
if the stem is welded...then cut it (or) Pull it out

Just don't bend / damage the stem, or it will be hard to get the replacement race in...

What does the service manual say to do at this point :geek: or what does the parts manual hint at?

Back
Top Bottom