Removing stuck hardware | GTAMotorcycle.com

Removing stuck hardware

bigpoppa

One of the little toothed nuts that hold the steering stem up is stuck, I found the correct tool in the pouch from the previous owner, but it keeps slipping, my question is:

1. Do any of ya'll have any special tricks to remove this?

2. What all can you use a propane torch on to heat and losen stuck hardware? If I cant use the torch on this, might have to go pick up some wd40...or maybe brake cleaner can losen it?

Much thanks

A punch and hammer. The nut will get slightly mangled, but will come off.

I answered you on Reddit
Where are you?

I used one of these, I wasnt using it properly before thats why it kept slipping, I made sure the little teeth is square with the nut and it is no longer slipping, but BOY is it on tight, I pulled with all my might and it wont budge...

SUCCESS! Sometimes brute force just works...I was trying to be cautious and finessing it, after trying for hours, I just found a robertson screwdriver, and just kept hammering away and it finally moved!

I used one of these, I wasnt using it properly before thats why it kept slipping, I made sure the little teeth is square with the nut and it is no longer slipping, but BOY is it on tight, I pulled with all my might and it wont budge...
looks like the same tool to adjust the rear shock lol.

looks like the same tool to adjust the rear shock lol.

I think it is, the damn thing was just on so tight it wouldnt work

SUCCESS! Sometimes brute force just works...I was trying to be cautious and finessing it, after trying for hours, I just found a robertson screwdriver, and just kept hammering away and it finally moved!
And bonus.... Now you have a robertson punch.

Good on you, OP!

I cracked 5 out of the 6 bolts when trying to detach the fiberglass spoiler from my car's front bumper yesterday.
This is despite soaking them in Krown's blue penetrant/lubricant!

quick question...About to remove the outer bearing races but I noticed for the top, there are 2 spots where you can tap on to remove the race...but for the bottom of the steering head, there is only 1 spot where you can hit to remove the race...I was under the impression there were 2 for top and bottom, or does this vary by manufacturer/model?
Thanks!

quick question...About to remove the outer bearing races but I noticed for the top, there are 2 spots where you can tap on to remove the race...but for the bottom of the steering head, there is only 1 spot where you can hit to remove the race...I was under the impression there were 2 for top and bottom, or does this vary by manufacturer/model?
Thanks!

I don't get it? Can't I see an entire circle where I can tap the race at any location?

Should be two for each. Tip..... Heat the neck with a heat gun or hair dryer. It'll come out a bit easier.
Is the first pic looking down at the top of the bottom race? If yes, then there is enough of the race to tap on with a good hard and sharp punch. NOT a robertson. Lol

I don't get it? Can't I see an entire circle where I can tap the race at any location?

You dont see the little space provided? My understanding is those spots are there specifically for you to tap on so you can remove the race?

There are 2 spots for the top, and 1 for the bottom

I didnt know you can just tap it anywhere on the bearing to remove it

Dumb question. To me, it looks like that frame of that motorcycle is bolted together. (Which bike is this?) If that's the case, loosen but don't remove the bolt that's holding the frame together adjacent to the bearing race in question. DON'T touch the other bolts that hold it together - just that one. Relieve the clamping load, knock the bearing race out, stick the new bearing in, then tighten that bolt.

You dont see the little space provided? My understanding is those spots are there specifically for you to tap on so you can remove the race?

There are 2 spots for the top, and 1 for the bottom

I didnt know you can just tap it anywhere on the bearing to remove it
I tap where I need to to (or can) to wobble it out. If they gave you relief to make your life easier, great. If they only put it on one side, it doesn't help you much as it will get very stuck unless you go back and forth or around. As WB said in a another thread, once you have it out, make your own relief so it is easier for the next guy.

Dumb question. To me, it looks like that frame of that motorcycle is bolted together. (Which bike is this?) If that's the case, loosen but don't remove the bolt that's holding the frame together adjacent to the bearing race in question. DON'T touch the other bolts that hold it together - just that one. Relieve the clamping load, knock the bearing race out, stick the new bearing in, then tighten that bolt.

its an fz6, I too was surprised but they come that way, 2 halves of the frame bolted together, I am definitely not brave enough to loosen the frame

I tap where I need to to (or can) to wobble it out. If they gave you relief to make your life easier, great. If they only put it on one side, it doesn't help you much as it will get very stuck unless you go back and forth or around. As WB said in a another thread, once you have it out, make your own relief so it is easier for the next guy.

Make your own relief??

Ya. Check out post #1. Lol. No worries. Loosen the pinch bolts. Done!

Be brave. Stick a socket and ratchet on the bolts on either side of the bearing race that you are trying to remove, and see if the bolt is willing to move with reasonable removal force. If it threatens to strip the head before doing so, then give up (it is entirely possible that the threads of those bolts were absolutely soaked in red Loctite at the factory before installation) but it's worth a try. Just those two bolts - leave the others in place.

If I remember right, those bolts are a large security torx. Doubt OP has that bit

OP, don't overthink it. Grab your robertson screwdriver (I hope the metal goes to the end of the handle) if you don't have a punch and start hammering.

Back
Top Bottom