Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 197 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

Oddballposter.png

Best kind of movie for me - unlikely true story well told.

"Dave Made a Maze" on Tubi - Two thumbs up. Weird and quirky, and reminds me very much of what a movie might look like if my friends at &@ Productions got a budget (and producer interference). Cardboard set "horror"? Yes please. A really enjoyable film.

"Zero Charisma" Also on Tubi - Not so much. The "40 year old D&D player living in his mom's basement" trope is long dead. Hard to believe that it was bought by Nerdist, given that it craps all over their viewer base, but there you have it. I think that I'll watch "Knights of Badassdom" as a palate cleanser (though friends who were involved/know the creator say that it suffered from producer interference).

Then there is this ...one of our goofier Aus movis the beginning of the Red Curtain triology.

[youtube]

Will watch all three over the next bit..

Then there is this ...one of our goofier Aus movis the beginning of the Red Curtain triology.

[youtube]

Will watch all three over the next bit..

If your after a bit of aussie comedy, I'd recommend The Dish too

The Black Hole (1979)

The Good: Great special effects and set design that, thanks to remastering, have stood the test of time pretty well. This was Disney's most ambitious and expensive project at the time, and it shows. The pacing isn't bad either, and the story is not as dated as I thought it'd be.

The Bad: Some pretty bland, wooden, acting. I guess most of the budget went to other departments, not enough left to motivate some of the actors to actually act. Random moments of humour don't really match the overall serious tone of the movie.

The Black Hole (1979)

The Good: Great special effects and set design that, thanks to remastering, have stood the test of time pretty well. This was Disney's most ambitious and expensive project at the time, and it shows. The pacing isn't bad either, and the story is not as dated as I thought it'd be.

The Bad: Some pretty bland, wooden, acting. I guess most of the budget went to other departments, not enough left to motivate some of the actors to actually act. Random moments of humour don't really match the overall serious tone of the movie.

I've been meaning to rewatch it. Originally saw it in a theatre.

The Black Hole (1979)

This thing terrified me as a child when this came out.

black-hole-screencap.jpg

"Assassination of a High School President" on Netflix - A Mickey Spillane style whodunnit, set in a Catholic High School. I quite enjoyed it. They added Bruce Willis as the principal, for name recognition.

The Man From Toronto - not funny, action was meh.

The Gray Man - half way through this one and it's really good. Solid story/humour/action.

"Assassination of a High School President" on Netflix - A Mickey Spillane style whodunnit, set in a Catholic High School. I quite enjoyed it. They added Bruce Willis as the principal, for name recognition.
Just finished watching this, surprisingly good. I liked the Bruce Willis touch, he plays a guy with a few screws loose pretty well. I feel like his screentime was balanced enough that it didn't feel like he was just there to make the studio money.

He IS a guy with a few screws loose..unfortunate condition.
Bruce Willis recently revealed that he's been diagnosed with aphasia, a disorder that has forced him to step away from his long and storied acting career. The story shocked many fans and readers—and has continued to as more is learned about the actor's recent history.Apr 6, 2022
I liked him for his sense of humour especially in Fifth Element.

Teeing up Grey Man. Looks good. Also have a rewatch of Deliverance due up. We have been raiding the DVD and BluRay rack for some we have not seen in a while. Kings Speech last night which was excellent ....again. Well deserved awards.

"Prey" on Disney+ (English Edit) - I should have turned on the subtitles because the idiots in high school thought it was a good idea to teach kids in the next Province over from a French speaking one, the language as spoken in Paris. Caught about 1 word in 5 from the fur hunters as a result.

Great film and a great addition to the franchise. In fact better than most of them. Someone with a brain facing off against the Predator. Native American representation as something other than a barbarian horde. And, as pointed out by someone from the UK on another board that I'm on, finally the bad guys in an early New World story aren't the English!

Runaway Jury. It was still good.

This thing terrified me as a child when this came out.

View attachment 56842
I was just going to post the same thing. Somehow it gave me chills as a kid, especially those faceless workers maning the computer consoles. As an adult not so much. The 3rd act it kinda fell apart with big holes, iterally which you can't take seriously. But over all it was a fun interesting movie. Nostalgia also high on this one.

Back
Top Bottom