Project noisemaker | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Project noisemaker

dB or dBA? Big difference. Measured with what device?

I don't know how the municipalities handle a stock exhaust that fails. My guess is they tell you to take it easy and don't give you the ticket. If you're an ass, maybe they give you the ticket and you get a letter from dealer that your exhaust is stock?

Just double checked my meter and its results are in dBA.

If your bike has an idle speed adjustment, and the situation is at all in question ... adjust it lower before being tested, especially if it's an easy-to-reach knob that can be given a quick half turn anticlockwise ...

The test is at idle btw. Met my buddy tonight at the BurgerRR who got a ticket for it.
Well that’s kind of silly, there are tons of bikes and vehicles out there that are rather tame at idle but become completely obnoxious under throttle.

The crackle tune cars being one of them.

Well that’s kind of silly, there are tons of bikes and vehicles out there that are rather tame at idle but become completely obnoxious under throttle.

Really really hard to have an objective standard for those. I strongly dislike a subjective standard due to the potential for abuse. What if your vehicle crackled or had a valved exhaust stock? Blame federal regulations. That is a few pay grades above municipal enforcement.

My stock Tuono definitely falls into that category. How Aprilia gamed the regs, I have no idea. Stock RSV4's fail noise tests at some tracks. When the flapper opens, the volume goes way up...

I got a ticket in my car once when I installed an aftermarket muffler without realizing how loud it was. I had it on for less than a week and was on my way to replace it when I got pulled over. On my court date, I showed the prosecutor a receipt for the work and he withdrew the charge. Hopefully they would do the same if you showed a picture of the stock exhaust reinstalled, showing the OEM emissions stamping.

I got a ticket in my car once when I installed an aftermarket muffler without realizing how loud it was. I had it on for less than a week and was on my way to replace it when I got pulled over. On my court date, I showed the prosecutor a receipt for the work and he withdrew the charge. Hopefully they would do the same if you showed a picture of the stock exhaust reinstalled, showing the OEM emissions stamping.
Honestly that's the best outcome for all involved. They want to fix the noise problem not tax the bikes. With so many bikes/exhausts having valves now, it's pretty hard to have a comprehensive test.

The Hyper exhaust valve seems to be wide open at idle, closes above idle, then presumably opens up again at higher RPM's or throttle position:

Any way to add something into a full system bike :)?

Like a baffle between the pipe before it runs up to the muffler?

Muffler already has a baffle

One of my friends adapted a Yamaha R6 muffler to his Hawk with the included Exup valve which he controlled manually with a small lever. ZX-6 had a similar setup and I'm sure others as well, and you used to be able to pick them up cheap. Cut off the valve and weld it into your full system.

The hyper in the video has exactly that. I like the manual control idea but that could throw off fueling if you have map set for open and give it a lot of throttle with it closed. On the upside you should go rich, on the downside, if you still have a cat it will be ******.

The hyper in the video has exactly that. I like the manual control idea but that could throw off fueling if you have map set for open and give it a lot of throttle with it closed. On the upside you should go rich, on the downside, if you still have a cat it will be ******.
I don’t want to get something that complicated

But that maybe the only option

I don’t want to get something that complicated

But that maybe the only option
Not sure what the end of your pipe looks like but you can sometimes shove a db killer into the muffler to get a few db quieter.

Back
Top Bottom