Project noisemaker | GTAMotorcycle.com

Project noisemaker

Norcorider

Halton police will target loud pipes this year from Apr - Oct.

Question- if one gets a ticket for loud exhaust, is it similar for other HTA laws, i.e. demerit points and impact on insurance?
It looks like it's going to be a by-law ticket so the noise ticket shouldn't have long term effects. Who knows how many other value-added tickets get added at the same time though. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Reasonable aftermarket exhausts likely pass. If you have straight pipes or GP exhaust, you should expect a ticket (and you deserve one).

It looks like it's going to be a by-law ticket
If it is a by-law ticket it will not appear on your abstract.

If it is a by-law ticket the police DO NOT have the jurisdiction to pull you over for it. The police can stop you for HTA infractions NOT by-law infractions.

They CAN set-up a "spot check", in co-operation with by-law officers, to check for by-law infractions, where they stop all motorcycles or cars.

If it is a by-law ticket the police DO NOT have the jurisdiction to pull you over for it. The police can stop you for HTA infractions NOT by-law infractions.

They CAN set-up a "spot check", in co-operation with by-law officers, to check for by-law infractions, where they stop all motorcycles or cars.
That is trivial. They can pull you over for a document check and do a noise test at the same time. In practice, a spot check is simpler though as you can put it in a good location for measurement and use less by-law officers and sound level meters to get a lot of tests done.

Hmmmmm.

Not sure about this. In my debate with @Mad Mike about getting tickets in the municipal HOV lanes I actually walked into 22 division to find out the details.

Police can and will pull you over for travelling in a municipal HOV lane. The result is a by law ticket.

Hmmmmm.

Not sure about this. In my debate with @Mad Mike about getting tickets in the municipal HOV lanes I actually walked into 22 division to find out the details.

Police can and will pull you over for travelling in a municipal HOV lane. The result is a by law ticket.
What was the ticket?
The police COULD pull you over for HTA "Disregard traffic sign" for that infraction, which makes it a legal "stop", THEN give you a by-law ticket.

What was the ticket?
The police COULD pull you over for HTA "Disregard traffic sign" for that infraction, which makes it a legal "stop", THEN give you a by-law ticket.
I don’t recall but they were clear that there was no HTA infractions in that stop.

Regardless as to how they are administered I have no issue with tickets, preferably big $$, for excessive noise. There is nothing more annoying than hearing a barely muffled sport or cruiser bike coming, being in your face and then going. Same with tuner cars. Nothing destroys goodwill amongst the general public quicker than having to listen to an ear splitting motorcycle.

Ironic I read this as I sit out back under the gazebo enjoying the weather only to listen to some shitbox with a crackle tune rip down the street behind us being a complete tool bombing the whole neighbourhood.

This angry New Yorker racecar guy explains pretty much how I feel about that nonsense. ?

Ironic I read this as I sit out back under the gazebo enjoying the weather only to listen to some shitbox with a crackle tune rip down the street behind us being a complete tool bombing the whole neighbourhood.

This angry New Yorker racecar guy explains pretty much how I feel about that nonsense. ?

On performance bmw models the popping/crackle is stock. Has been for some time now. Performance mini coopers as well.

I often worry when riding the 2-stroke. It’s totally stock and smokes a bit (as it should). It’s not loud (in my opinion anyways), but I could see how some people might find the exhaust pitch/tone annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often worry when riding the 2-stroke. It’s totally stock and smokes a bit (as it should). It’s not loud (in my opinion anyways), but I could see how some people might find the exhaust pitch/tone annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For me, that is different. It is close to manufacturers spec. People get annoyed by engine brakes too, but the anger is different against somewhat necessary but annoying versus just being a dick and inflicting yourself on everyone within blocks of your location for no reason other than you are the most important person in the world.

First few times I heard that sound I honestly thought there was something wrong with the car. Blows my mind people pay to make their cars sound like that...considering I just paid to make my bike stop making those sounds

What’s the db limit? My bike with the baffle in registers 93.7 and without the baffle 100.3. Test done at 15’.

Not good for you. Check the by-law but IIRC it is 92 dBA at idle at 0.5 m from the exhaust exit

I missed a step in the writing about my testing. That was at 15’ and at 8,000rpm. But even at idle from 15’ with the baffle in I was at or around 90db. The Hindle I have with the baffle in is quieter than what my stock pipe was so I hope I’m ok....
Then again, I don’t tend to ride in the Halton area. Does Caledon have the same db limit?
Edit:
At 5,000rpm from a distance of 15’ with the baffle in I’m at 92.2db. Looks like I’m avoiding Halton this year.

Decibel numbers are useless without precisely describing the circumstances surrounding that number. If they are using the SAE J2825 test (Oakville, Caledon bylaws are based on that) then the measurement has to be 0.5 m from exhaust outlet, behind the vehicle at a 45 degree outboard angle of the exhaust outlet and at the same height - this precisely defines the point in space where the measurements have to be taken - and there can't be more than a certain amount of background noise and there can't be hard sound-reflective surfaces within a certain distance other than the road surface itself.

The 92 dBA at idle is an easy test, but the higher-RPM test (5000 rpm steady in neutral for engines with 3 or more cylinders, 2000 rpm steady in neutral for engines with 2 or fewer cylinders) is subject to vagaries ... prove that RPM number. Bike has a tach? It's not a certified instrument. Are they doing it with a vibration/frequency analyser? That's not a certified instrument, either. Most bikes don't have easy access to the end of the crankshaft for a suitable instrument to be used. Getting to the spark plugs on my ZX10R is a 3 hour job that requires tools and the workshop manual, and doing it requires throttle body removal ... can't do that with the engine running. It is literally not possible to use an ignition pick-up tachometer without dismantling the bike to get to the spark plugs, putting the bike back together with a wire running to somewhere from whatever instrument you have, then dismantling the bike again to get the instrument back out, and putting the bike all back together again ...

As far as I can tell, Caledon OPP stopped applying the higher-rpm test, because it was futile to do it in a way that will stand up in court. I haven't seen them enforce their noise bylaw at all for quite a while. But ... perhaps objectives were achieved, because there are noticeably fewer straight-pipe cruisers passing through nowadays. (edit: Seems that they've switched to loud stereos, instead)

Last edited:
I missed a step in the writing about my testing. That was at 15’ and at 8,000rpm. But even at idle from 15’ with the baffle in I was at or around 90db. The Hindle I have with the baffle in is quieter than what my stock pipe was so I hope I’m ok....
Then again, I don’t tend to ride in the Halton area. Does Caledon have the same db limit?
Edit:
At 5,000rpm from a distance of 15’ with the baffle in I’m at 92.2db. Looks like I’m avoiding Halton this year.

dB or dBA? Big difference. Measured with what device?

I don't know how the municipalities handle a stock exhaust that fails. My guess is they tell you to take it easy and don't give you the ticket. If you're an ass, maybe they give you the ticket and you get a letter from dealer that your exhaust is stock?

Back
Top Bottom