Petition to stop Town of Erin plans to dump effluent into West Credit River | GTAMotorcycle.com

Petition to stop Town of Erin plans to dump effluent into West Credit River

Roadghost

So, for those who like that summer ride to the Forks, with the smell of fresh air, lush greenery and a nice ice cream in the hot afternoon, think of what that would be like with the pungent stench of sewage wafting through the air. If you don't like the smell of sewage, sign this Parliamentary petition, and pass it around.

Welcome to a civilized community.

Or do you expect everyone with the population growth to have acerage for a septic system?

Edit:

And your description of sewage running down the river suggests you haven't googled what wastewater effluent is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Wynne lives up there, and a lot of other very wealthy folks. Apparently their property taxes are not high enough.

They plan on dumping TREATED effluent water.
TREATED effluent has another name: CLEAN WATER

What they plan on dumping is probably cleaner than the water they're dumping it into.
... and if they don't build this treatment plant, where do you think the sewage is gonna go? The "run off" from all those septic beds ends up in the West Credit watershed. That how "watershed" works.
Maybe if we tell these idiots that their well water comes out of that watershed... YEP your well is filled with water from your neighbour's septic bed... the treatment plant will be built in a week.

The amount of regulation, testing, compliance and verification of the water coming out of a plant is nuts. Not only does the water have to be cleaner than the surrounding water, the temperature has to be just right otherwise they get shut down. Think of the salamanders!

I've worked in Water and Wastewater briefly and holy crap, so many regulations that need to be followed. Municipalities take this extremely seriously, and I'd assume in this ecological and well preserved area the water being discharged into the river will be good enough to drink.

EDIT: I do not know the background so may be speaking out of my bum. But I believe my comments stand in general terms.

you might want to check with Hamilton and the Desjardin canal folks on what happens when buddy running the water treatment plant nods off at the switch.

Old friend is supervisor at the Grand Bend wastewater treatment plant, the new guy gets the job of shoveling 1000lbs of used condoms and tampon applicator tubes out of the pump when it jams.
Just incase you thought your job sucks

you might want to check with Hamilton and the Desjardin canal folks on what happens when buddy running the water treatment plant nods off at the switch.

Old friend is supervisor at the Grand Bend wastewater treatment plant, the new guy gets the job of shoveling 1000lbs of used condoms and tampon applicator tubes out of the pump when it jams.
Just incase you thought your job sucks
Although this job might not be that desirable, I would think the compensation package, benefits and pension would keep me focused on the end goal. Not to mention that there probably isn't anyone up your ass looking for you to meet KPI's only to keep sending you into the vortex of impossible.

Where do I apply?

Although this job might not be that desirable, I would think the compensation package, benefits and pension would keep me focused on the end goal. Not to mention that there probably isn't anyone up your ass looking for you to meet KPI's only to keep sending you into the vortex of impossible.

Where do I apply?
When I was in the W&WW business, WTP operators were making great money. In the smaller towns/cities outside of the big areas it was less...but they used that experience to move to the larger municipalities, and in the case of the western part of the province...they moved to Bruce Power. So the smaller towns had constant turnover.

I know the pay is great, benefits are good but that may have levelled out as Veolia Water (?) / OCWA was taking over some of the management / maintenance of the facilities. Had a few friends work for the City of Toronto at the WTPs and they all said easy money, low stress, and great benefits and pension. Hard part is getting in.

EDIT: The big push in these plants was automation. A lot of the work is automatic and done with nothing but a handful of staff. But just as everything else, the skillset develops and you need to adapt.

The city of Victoria BC. was pumping RAW effluent into the ocean up till November 2020.

just in case: RAW EFFLUENT = NOT CLEAN WATER

What they plan on dumping is probably cleaner than the water they're dumping it into.
... and if they don't build this treatment plant, where do you think the sewage is gonna go? The "run off" from all those septic beds ends up in the West Credit watershed. That how "watershed" works.
Maybe if we tell these idiots that their well water comes out of that watershed... YEP your well is filled with water from your neighbour's septic bed... the treatment plant will be built in a week.
I wonder what the effect of the treated water will be on the trout etc population? Even a slight temp change can have disastrous results.

I wonder what the effect of the treated water will be on the trout etc population? Even a slight temp change can have disastrous results.
If they screw it up it’ll be a disaster for the local fishery.

This isn't simple. Nothing is today.

I've heard things about human contraceptives affecting fish reproduction. I don't know enough about it to make specific claims. What does bother me is the failure of the proponents of the petition to divulge the whole truth. As mentioned, TREATED effluent. It almost sounds like toilets get flushed into the river.

BYW when did Montreal stop doing that.

On a royal visit many years ago her highness arrived and was staying on the yacht Britannia in Montreal. They had closed the seacocks for the royal sewage and each day a small barge would come alongside and the sewage would be transferred to a holding tank. The sewage would then be transported to shore where it entered the Montreal sewage system which was just dumping it in the river.

And yeah people assume water out of the ground is heaven sent and pure as the tears of angels.

Ages ago there was a spring on Mississauga Road south of Dundas and my redneck step father would go and get water from it. Little did he know that at the time there was a horse farm directly up the hill. He was drinking filtered horse urine.

Is there a plan B? If the effluent becomes a problem plan A is immediately shut down and plan B implemented? Not likely.

I've dealt with OCWA plants and heard their headaches. Controlled by people that think water originates in the taps and disappears when they flush.

Ages ago there was a spring on Mississauga Road south of Dundas and my redneck step father would go and get water from it. Little did he know that at the time there was a horse farm directly up the hill. He was drinking filtered horse urine.
Horse farm? there was a convent at the top of that hill... maybe it WAS angels.

Probably less effect than that big whack of salt it gets off the road every year. They could release high PH water in the spring to counteract all that salt.

I was taught that if you have one bucket of clean water and you put one drop of sewerage in it,
you now have a bucket of dilute sewerage and no clean water.

How polluted is the west credit river right now, has anybody taken a water sample down to the township office to have it tested?

Maybe they just figure they are putting sewerage into a bucket of dilute sewerage.

Funny thing is most of the business along main street dump sewage in the river untreated now and have since they were built IMHO actually having sewage treatment in town will probably reduce the pollution not increase it. The town is also full of old septic systems leaking raw sewage into the river.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

You assume people took the time to actually read and understand (and educating themselves a little if they don't understand) before kneejerk reacting to "sewage plant dumping into local river, won't someone think of the children!". Peoples minds immediately go to "I don't want to have to push turds out of the way to go fishing" and "The water will smell like piss!".

Lots of small towns do this....the treated water has to go SOMEWHERE. Uxbridge is one example that pops to mind - almost 12000 or so people have their sewage treated right in town and the effluent is discharged into Uxbridge brook.

Big cities dump into the lake.

The biggest complaint at the Uxbridge plant (to name one of thousands just like it around the province) last year? A noise complaint that ended up being a noisy blower motor on an aerator.

Horse farm? there was a convent at the top of that hill... maybe it WAS angels.

Probably less effect than that big whack of salt it gets off the road every year. They could release high PH water in the spring to counteract all that salt.

We don't hear enough about the PH levels and salination. Serious outcomes as microorganisms die off and it goes up the food chain. Lake Simcoe may not look so pretty.

I used to ride bikes around Mississauga and Dundas and recall horses, early sixties. There's a convent further south IIRC

I have a trout creek running at the back of my property. I’ve ****** in the creek a few times, the warming didn’t bother the fish.

I think the biggest issue here is the simple fact that people don't want a wastewater treatment plant in their area. They want all the benefits, but not to deal with the fact that the area is growing and it's needed.

Wasaga was the same. Parents spent a ton of cash to update the septic system, and then boom....Wasaga decided we're just going to install a system for the water runoff. Pay up.

Back
Top Bottom