OPP air enforcement in Dufferin / Caledon | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP air enforcement in Dufferin / Caledon

Tow truck driver on my Facebook friends list posted OPP are using a plane around the Hwy 10 / Orangeville corridor. He claims they seized at least four bikes speeding on Hockley yesterday.

View attachment 67574
yeah they are setup in brampton airport now.

1714936926956.png

If the track of the plane is accurate it was nowhere near the Hockley Valley road but was concentrating on Hwy 10 from Orangeville south to Caledon village.
(And how many southbound gravel trucks would they track if they went further south on Hwy 10?)
AFJ

Tow truck driver on my Facebook friends list posted OPP are using a plane around the Hwy 10 / Orangeville corridor. He claims they seized at least four bikes speeding on Hockley yesterday.

View attachment 67574
I road across Hockley Vally rd. yesterday about 2:00. One SUV cruiser, two tow trucks and about 8 bikes on the south side of the road just west of airport. Bad day for a bunch of ridders. Speed limit is 50 there.

I road across Hockley Vally rd. yesterday about 2:00. One SUV cruiser, two tow trucks and about 8 bikes on the south side of the road just west of airport. Bad day for a bunch of ridders. Speed limit is 50 there.
That section just west of Airport Road was recently reduced from 70 kph to 50 kph due to resident complaints. The section between 10 and the gravel pit entrance is also a heavily patrolled 50 kph and school zone. My last ticket in my car was in 2020 on Hockley Valley Road near the church across from the golf course, (I should have known better). A few years before while riding home from work at the golf course I had a conversation with an OPP officer who got me on moving radar over near First Line. That one was a pleasant experience because all he did was give me a warning after thanking me for stopping.

So as a public service announcement I'm suggesting that any weekend riders pay special attention to their speed while riding through the valley.

I'm not surprised by the air surveillance on Highway 10. Anywhere between Brampton and Orangeville has become a racetrack. I'm no longer out there during commuting times, but I can tell you from experience that 115 to 120 kph are not uncommon, particularly between 5 and 6 am. During the midday, or on weekends I will usually travel at 90 to 95 kph along there keeping to the right lane and I am the slowest moving vehicle on the road. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the OPP and they could pay for that plane in just one weekend.

Tempting to wring it out out there but 10-15 over SHOULD not get you caught I'd think.

Last Thursday during the day, OPP were all over Belfountain/Forks, Cheltenham and Terra Cotta.
4 of them were sitting at Terra Cotta and the bottom of Winston Churchill just waiting for those who let gravity carry them over the 40 limit
I was a good boy, but was closed throttle in 2nd gear (with associated exhaust overrun noises)
dd0.png

That section just west of Airport Road was recently reduced from 70 kph to 50 kph due to resident complaints. The section between 10 and the gravel pit entrance is also a heavily patrolled 50 kph and school zone. My last ticket in my car was in 2020 on Hockley Valley Road near the church across from the golf course, (I should have known better). A few years before while riding home from work at the golf course I had a conversation with an OPP officer who got me on moving radar over near First Line. That one was a pleasant experience because all he did was give me a warning after thanking me for stopping.

So as a public service announcement I'm suggesting that any weekend riders pay special attention to their speed while riding through the valley.

I'm not surprised by the air surveillance on Highway 10. Anywhere between Brampton and Orangeville has become a racetrack. I'm no longer out there during commuting times, but I can tell you from experience that 115 to 120 kph are not uncommon, particularly between 5 and 6 am. During the midday, or on weekends I will usually travel at 90 to 95 kph along there keeping to the right lane and I am the slowest moving vehicle on the road. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the OPP and they could pay for that plane in just one weekend.

Hwy 10 is the main reason why I only commute to my office in Brampton one day per week and don't commute with my motorcycles anymore.

Hwy 10 is the main reason why I only commute to my office in Brampton one day per week and don't commute with my motorcycles anymore.
Years ago I altered my commuting route from Highway 10 and began to use Gore Road down to the 427 in order to avoid both 10 and the 410. That worked for a long time, right up until Brampton expanded all the way over to Highway 50. We now only go down to Brampton to visit family on weekdays and I'll use 10 to get there. I try to avoid weekend travel because weekends are full of impatient drivers trying to get to their cottages, beach or some other activity as quickly as possible. They don't realize that the weekends are the most heavily patrolled days of the week.

I was lucky a few weeks ago when I was there as there was no one on the road, but I do keep to the 50 in those 2 areas.
This is more reason to go up to River Road and Terra Nova. I avoid Hwy 10 coming back as it is also very heavy traffic going southbound too. I've been snaking my way back using secondary roads and there is some awesome scenery and no traffic.

People near me tried that crap to get a 50 reduced to a 40 they actually did a study and raised it to 70 were they ever ****** wish it would happen more often.

Sent from the future

Here they just reduce limits from 60 or 80 to 40 on roads that have high enough volume, and plop in a photo radar.
The contractor only makes money if they catch enough people, so high volume is a must.
They're basically printing money now, and the Councillors get to say that they're keeping us safe.

Here they just reduce limits from 60 or 80 to 40 on roads that have high enough volume, and plop in a photo radar.
The contractor only makes money if they catch enough people, so high volume is a must.
They're basically printing money now, and the Councillors get to say that they're keeping us safe.
Parkside drive has switched to a permanent camera as it was so profitable and the mobile camera was easier to disable. Still zero effort to change the road design and/or speed limit to modify behaviour in a smart way. It is straight up revenue generation with no consideration at all to safety.

boycott Orangeville!

How does the plane measure speed if there are no markers on the road?
They have fancy speed measuring now that overlays vehicle speed on the target vehicle. Not sure how they calculate it as it isn't simple with aircraft in motion, bad angles, vehicle in motion, aircraft and vehicle may not be on parallel paths, etc. Otherwise they could go old-school with a timer between known points like intersections or bridges.

Still zero effort to change the road design and/or speed limit to modify behaviour in a smart way. It is straight up revenue generation with no consideration at all to safety.
Everywhere there's a camera around here (Durham Region) they really work well. People slow right down going through the camera zones and the effect usually lasts for a few blocks in either direction. Seems to be modifying behavior and improving safety just fine.

What are the other options? Speed bumps everywhere? No thanks. Dropping the speed limit to 30 or 40 so that the average driver does 50 or 60? The camera has the same effect and also generates revenue from people too stupid or oblivious to notice the big CAMERA AHEAD signs.

Reactions: LBV
Everywhere there's a camera around here (Durham Region) they really work well. People slow right down going through the camera zones and the effect usually lasts for a few blocks in either direction. Seems to be modifying behavior and improving safety just fine.

What are the other options? Speed bumps everywhere? No thanks. Dropping the speed limit to 30 or 40 so that the average driver does 50 or 60? The camera has the same effect and also generates revenue from people too stupid or oblivious to notice the big CAMERA AHEAD signs.
They should change the road design so people naturally drive slower along the whole thing instead of just at the camera. Politicians are dumb. They mandate wide roads and then lower the number on the signs when they get complaints. Simplest solution is narrow lanes substantially and people will automatically slow down. There are more interesting solutions but they take more effort.

Parkside drive is on the downhill section only with very very few pedestrians and consistently the most profitable camera in the city. It is very obvious that at least that location is zero percent about safety and 100% about revenue. If it was about safety and you had tried the camera for years to get people to slow down and it didn't work, you wouldn't install a permanent camera, you'd fix the road or the speed limit to be appropriate.

Wouldn't speed bumps be cheaper and pretty much guarantee slowing down traffic.

Back
Top Bottom