OPP air enforcement in Dufferin / Caledon | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP air enforcement in Dufferin / Caledon

I really don't agree with this new law, need to give a breath sample as a part of the traffic stop.

Don't forget OPP presence around River Road. You might loose the plane in the trees but OPP unmarked cruisier will get you in the straights.
Saw bunch of riders pulled over at the end of my River Road loop on 20 Side Road at Airport Road hwy 18.
The area sure makes a lot of money from the GTA folks. They want your bike!

I really don't agree with this new law, need to give a breath sample as a part of the traffic stop.
Sadly that doesn't really matter. Refusing to blow is a fast track to pound town. If you're feeling rich you could try to argue constitutionality but it sounds like the chance of winning is low.

It's not a new law. The police just never used the authority given to them until now.

Either way be interested to see the court challenges.

How does the plane measure speed if there are no markers on the road?
The Churchill system whatever that is.

This is disturbing. how does this stuff stand up in court

Once you are a suspect, the police have a job to do, and it is not to assist you. It is to collect evidence against you. Unfortunately, the law in Canada allows the police to lie to you to further their investigation, so do not ask the police what you should do or rely on their advice.

Last edited:
The first step in zero tolerance of alcohol while driving which will make tow trucks, impound yards, local government money. Also validates the DUI task force as important in generating revenue. Forget about the police officer's discretion and safety by having him/her at the side of road longer administering the breath analyzer.

In 2023, 49 people died from alcohol or drug-related crashes and nearly 400 people died in motor vehicle collisions in Ontario. “That is far higher than the 319 we saw last year, and we have not seen a 400-road fatalities since 2004,” Schmidt said.Dec 27, 2023

That is 12.25% of the total death in auto collision.

In 2023, 49 people died from alcohol or drug-related crashes

Be nice to know if this was the reasons for the crash

Wouldn't speed bumps be cheaper and pretty much guarantee slowing down traffic.
Not for the trucks.
The neighboring street (which has a school) has five sequential speed bumps. I have seen trucks, SUVs and even some of the city buses negotiate these without braking.

Not for the trucks.
The neighboring street (which has a school) has five sequential speed bumps. I have seen trucks, SUVs and even some of the city buses negotiate these without braking.
I love the ones they put in here my truck is wide enough to straddle them zero bump if done right

Sent from the future

I love the ones they put in here my truck is wide enough to straddle them zero bump if done right

Sent from the future
I like the ones with cuts too. I think the cuts are spaced for fire trucks. No way I can avoid with both sides of the car but I put the drivers side through the hole and the passenger side rocks up which is a much more gentle motion than the wheels being launched through the hood.

Don't forget OPP presence around River Road. You might loose the plane in the trees but OPP unmarked cruisier will get you in the straights.
Saw bunch of riders pulled over at the end of my River Road loop on 20 Side Road at Airport Road hwy 18.
The area sure makes a lot of money from the GTA folks. They want your bike!
Also, remember that the entire section of 20th Side Road / River Road had a speed limit reduction a couple of years ago. The portions that were 70 or 80 kph over near Airport Road are now 60 kph and the rest is now 50 kph from just east of Terra Nova, west through Kilgorie and up to Prince of Wales Road. In addition, they have designated at least four sections as "Community Safety Zones", so the fines are now doubled in those areas. Weekends are the most heavily patrolled along there and it's a clear message that the locals were not happy with the volume and speed of traffic on "their" road.

At least there have been no changes to CR 9, yet.

I was just north of Norwood on 40 at about 11 AM and the road zig zags around a bend and we find the road blocked by 2 OPP cruisers. Officer leans in close to ask if I have been drinking. My response is that it's 11 in the morning, and no, I have not been drinking. Her response was to say sir, some people drink all day long. Obviously, they would not be there if they did not expect to find impaired drivers.

I think there are alcoholics who drink all day long, routinely drive while they are impaired and are never caught. They are an accident waiting to happen. I have no issue with RIDE stops and random checks. Get these people off the roads.

Officer leans in close to ask if I have been drinking. My response is that it's 11 in the morning, and no, I have not been drinking. Her response was to say sir, some people are from Brampton

FTFY

I think there are alcoholics who drink all day long, routinely drive while they are impaired and are never caught.

Find the video of the guy that went through 4 fences in back yards in Bramalea (Torbram Rd. IIRC). When he got out of the van he was wobbling, slurring words, had puked on his shirt, and pi**ed his pants. They're out there. Odds on interacting with one vary by location.

FTFY

Find the video of the guy that went through 4 fences in back yards in Bramalea (Torbram Rd. IIRC). When he got out of the van he was wobbling, slurring words, had puked on his shirt, and pi**ed his pants. They're out there. Odds on interacting with one vary by location.
Years ago I got ride checked on hockley valley road in the daylight. They apparently got quite a few people leaving skiing or golfing with a few too many in them.

I got ride checked a month ago at lunch on a road with no traffic and nowhere near a drinking establishment. It was very strange. I'm not sure if there was some other game going on? A few hundred meters away was a road where they could talk to a car a minute instead of a car every five minutes.

I got ride checked a month ago at lunch on a road with no traffic and nowhere near a drinking establishment. It was very strange. I'm not sure if there was some other game going on? A few hundred meters away was a road where they could talk to a car a minute instead of a car every five minutes.

Maybe the drinkers take seldom used back roads to get around because they hope the chances of hitting a RIDE checkpoint are smaller than busier routes.

I was on CR 6 in Kawarthas a few years ago, very late trip to cottage, around 1 AM, minimal moon, very dark. At a T insersection stop sign, just took foot off brake and rolling forward when an ancient black Oldsmobile 88, no headlights, went flying through the stop sign going about 90 - 100 kph. I can't say with 100% certainty, but in that area, at that time, likely a local who was probably drunk. I missed being T boned on the driver's side by less than 5'

Last edited:
Years ago I got ride checked on hockley valley road in the daylight. They apparently got quite a few people leaving skiing or golfing with a few too many in them.

When police get tips on specific people/groups they can and do setup to snag them.

Case in point; half a lifetime ago I did co-op with 22 Division for a Ride Check. We setup on 427 near the Dixon hotels, because a bunch of Americans came up here for a conference and the year before the same people had firearms confiscated at the border. We had SWAT (ETF) in unmarked doing patrols nearby. Every car got checked but they were really hoping to land some drunk americans with firearms.

The Churchill system whatever that is.

Did some some digging, but the details are a bit vague: Aerial Speed Enforcement Upgrades
The aviation unit has now equipped two aircraft with Vehicle Speed Measurement devices (VSMs) that use GPS and cameras to track speeder and dangerous drivers.
The VSM system uses two components, a camera system and a mapping system. Cromer says the major players are FLIR and Wescam for cameras and Shotover Systems (formerly Churchill Navigation) and AeroComputers for mapping. Ohio State Highway Patrol is using the combination of Wescam and AeroComputers.

“As technology has evolved, basically the geo referencing of where the camera is looking and displaying that on the map has become very, very accurate”

I also stumbled across the official list of every speed camera in Ontario (except for Ottawa, which is on a linked page) and whether they're currently active: Automated Speed Enforcement - Certificate of Accuracy

They should change the road design so people naturally drive slower along the whole thing instead of just at the camera. Politicians are dumb. They mandate wide roads and then lower the number on the signs when they get complaints. Simplest solution is narrow lanes substantially and people will automatically slow down. There are more interesting solutions but they take more effort.

Parkside drive is on the downhill section only with very very few pedestrians and consistently the most profitable camera in the city. It is very obvious that at least that location is zero percent about safety and 100% about revenue. If it was about safety and you had tried the camera for years to get people to slow down and it didn't work, you wouldn't install a permanent camera, you'd fix the road or the speed limit to be appropriate.
Some jurisdictions in the world will look at an accident. Investigate if design could be improved to avoid it. Improve design and move on.

Must be nice to have people's lives values a bit more.

Speed signs and cameras and enforcement are a band aid. If you design for the bad habit/behaviour to be extinguished, you'll be able to avoid those issues almost entirely.

I got ride checked a month ago at lunch on a road with no traffic and nowhere near a drinking establishment. It was very strange.

'91, was heading home to Wendake Beach from work in Midland at noon on a Saturday (Thanksgiving weekend). Got stopped at an OPP check on the concession road between Midland and Perkinsfield. Really guys?

Back
Top Bottom