Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles

@Chris-CJ I renewed my plate online and got a receipt emailed to me...no having to go in at all...printed it off and keep one copy in the car and another one in my bike jacket with the ownership and insurance...why did you have to go in?

@Chris-CJ I renewed my plate online and got a receipt emailed to me...no having to go in at all...printed it off and keep one copy in the car and another one in my bike jacket with the ownership and insurance...why did you have to go in?
He was online. Site was too busy so it put him in a queue before he was allowed to finish the transaction. Quite embarrassing that it is happening now. Do they actually have people on the backend of this and it is just pretend online?

lol just went to the site to have a look....

Your estimated wait time is: more than an hour

The govt really is a joke.

Omg this is stupid.

Whether you scrap the whole thing, or you increase your server capacity.

This is shameful.

EDIT) my coworker made a good point "they gave all the money so now they have none to increase server capacity"

Omg this is stupid.

Whether you scrap the whole thing, or you increase your server capacity.

This is shameful.

EDIT) my coworker made a good point "they gave all the money so now they have none to increase server capacity"

Every system has a capacity. If an individual waited in an online queue this time, then maybe they’ll remember and choose a different time the next renewal…or maybe not .

If enough individuals change behaviour, the actual capacity peaks and troughs are not so dramatic. Then planned capacity becomes more manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did an online renewal.
Guess the govt would like us to have the "line up" experience online too

Every system has a capacity. If an individual waited in an online queue this time, then maybe they’ll remember and choose a different time the next renewal…or maybe not .

If enough individuals change behaviour, the actual capacity peaks and troughs are not so dramatic. Then planned capacity becomes more manageable.

A different time than a random wednesday afternoon? I understood the queue when the entire province had to get something do9ne in a week. When you are statistically dealing with 1/365 th of the population (or less if people do two year renewals) in every 24 hour period, designing a system to accommodate something like 1/200 th of the population concurrently should have very few trips to the queue. Given that two random people tried and got 45 to 60 minutes, I am suspecting system is something like 1/1000 th or less concurrently.

This is the first online system that I have experienced that actually makes you wait in a queue.

None of the banks, credit card cos, online shopping cos, CRA, sites make you do this.
Also appears that they have piggy-backed on the previous licence plate sticker renewal code, but even that never put one into a queue.
Definitely a server/database resource crunch.

This must be some sort of "Pavlov-type" experiment to force ppl to only use the online renewal at certain time-slots

1hr and 40 min que... takes less then 5 mins to renew...

Personal vehicles in ontario are about 8.5m so each day should get about 23,288 renewals. lets say most people renew between the hours of 8am to 8pm, so about 144 renewal spots. So you would need to be able to cater for 162 concurrent connections minimum. There are 15 yr old computer game servers sending and receiving 1000x the data that can handle more connections then that without making you wait in ques for nearly 2hrs.

A different time than a random wednesday afternoon? I understood the queue when the entire province had to get something do9ne in a week. When you are statistically dealing with 1/365 th of the population (or less if people do two year renewals) in every 24 hour period, designing a system to accommodate something like 1/200 th of the population concurrently should have very few trips to the queue. Given that two random people tried and got 45 to 60 minutes, I am suspecting system is something like 1/1000 th or less concurrently.

April 29th, 7:45am No queue

So with @ifiddles that makes 2 with zero wait times and two with long wait times…troughs and peaks.

If you really wanted to get efficient, assuming most will be doing a 2-year renewal this year, a person could do a 1-year renewal and then 2-year renewals thereafter…probably a sure thing you would have no queue going forward as you’re in an opposite cycle to the masses.

April 29th, 7:45am No queue

So with @ifiddles that makes 2 with zero wait times and two with long wait times…troughs and peaks.

If you really wanted to get efficient, assuming most will be doing a 2-year renewal this year, a person could do a 1-year renewal and then 2-year renewals thereafter…probably a sure thing you would have no queue going forward as you’re in an opposite cycle to the masses.

As the renewals are free, even offering a one year renewal is stupid (other than trying to get some load splitting). They could easily make A-M have the choice of one or three year renewals now and N-Z have only two. Starting next year, only allow two year renewals. Load split done.

As the renewals are free, even offering a one year renewal is stupid (other than trying to get some load splitting). They could easily make A-M have the choice of one or three year renewals now and N-Z have only two. Starting next year, only allow two year renewals. Load split done.

I agree they should have forced a load split…the government study on that will be out in 2026.

I have a bunch this year and next year as they won't let you renew anything you paid for earlier until it expires.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

So it just took about 1.75 hours to get it done
For a person who works from home like me, its cool cool, i just have to remind myself to check every 20 minutes or so

But working in IT, this makes me cringe

"QA Tester: Volume testing has failed...
- Business analyst: We could add more capacity
- Product owner: Nahhhh make them wait, we wanna get it out asap to get as many votes as possible
- Anybody on that team: Wait for what, they're filling out an online form?
- Product owner: Make em wait gawddammit!!!"

Last edited:
Heard about the $495 fine?

This morning I renewed my vehicle licence plate.

Still had to wait in line even though this was done online. My place in the queue was 41 minutes to when the actual application to renew opened for me.
What is the deal with the online queue not enough servers, a small database or crappy application code?

This was discussed before - Quebec give out those tickets without needing to see the registration, like a parking ticket. They didn't honour Ontario's renewal extension and went by the sticker date - so even if it was renewed under the new system, they might have gotten the same ticket anyways (unless Quebec cops have access to MTO). That's why it's best to just remove the sticker if going to Quebec, or have a copy of your renewal receipt to fight it in court.

This is the first online system that I have experienced that actually makes you wait in a queue.

None of the banks, credit card cos, online shopping cos, CRA, sites make you do this.
Also appears that they have piggy-backed on the previous licence plate sticker renewal code, but even that never put one into a queue.
Definitely a server/database resource crunch.

This must be some sort of "Pavlov-type" experiment to force ppl to only use the online renewal at certain time-slots

From an IT perspective, this is a brilliant system. You can get away with a small processing capacity, which usually means lower hardware and licensing costs, and not have to worry about the servers crashing. As with anything government related, you are at their mercy. You will never see this with a commercial system that could cause them to lose a paying customer.

Strange that everyone is having such long wait times. I didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for them many times I had to use it. Maybe it's because that article scared so many people into renewing all of the sudden.

Oh well, "patience is the mother of virtue"

Guess there is no money to be earned, so why build a better infrastructure.

He was online. Site was too busy so it put him in a queue before he was allowed to finish the transaction. Quite embarrassing that it is happening now. Do they actually have people on the backend of this and it is just pretend online?
It could be partially completed by gerbils in a contact center. Banks fo done of your online transactions this why, sometimes when online processing systems are down or overwhelmed, sometimes to offer functions test are not yet web integrated.

Back
Top Bottom