Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles

You don't think about upcoming elections until you start hearing this kind of thing.
Vote buying plain and simple.

You don't think about upcoming elections until you start hearing this kind of thing.
Probably correct. I strongly suspect that whoever gets elected will tack on a mileage based charge as part of the upcoming frequent safety program. That recovers the sticker money and well as a way to charge EVs road tax.

None of this will be brought up before the election is over.

Smart business. In 2019 ON collected $850M on plate fees, none of these were for EVs as they are already fee

How much do you think it costs to run a Service Ontario outlet (there are approx 300 of them)? I'm guessing an average of more than $300K/year per office -- that's more than the fees collected for driver's licenses.

Hopefully they decide this soon my renewal is up in a few months, would be nice if I didn't have to ;)

Smart business. In 2019 ON collected $850M on plate fees, none of these were for EVs as they are already fee

How much do you think it costs to run a Service Ontario outlet (there are approx 300 of them)? I'm guessing an average of more than $300K/year per office -- that's more than the fees collected for driver's licenses.
Franchise SO operators get <$2 to process a sticker. That means province gets $118 minus the cost of the sticker. Provincially operated SO have astronomically higher costs.

EDIT:
Your math is off by an order of magnitude. 300*300K=90M.

Last edited:
Probably correct. I strongly suspect that whoever gets elected will tack on a mileage based charge as part of the upcoming frequent safety program. That recovers the sticker money and well as a way to charge EVs road tax.

None of this will be brought up before the election is over.
Honestly this seems like something that will just come out in the wash/be a shell game, HOWEVER we already have a mileage based tax - gas tax. If we get an additional gas tax, it'll be called the Doug tax inside of a day and I will laugh. Maybe we could get some convenient stickers on gas pumps reminding us of it and where it came from

Honestly this seems like something that will just come out in the wash/be a shell game, HOWEVER we already have a mileage based tax - gas tax. If we get an additional gas tax, it'll be called the Doug tax inside of a day and I will laugh. Maybe we could get some convenient stickers on gas pumps reminding us of it and where it came from
Last I checked EV's don't pay gas tax and the percentage of them is growing quickly. Ideally, the mileage tax would be concurrent with removing provincial gas tax but no politician ever cancels a tax.

so cutting staff in half?
although renewals can easily be done online now (if you didnt let it expire) that shouldve reduced the number of required resources by a lot.

I have always had to pay for the plate stickeron my ev plate same as a regular plate.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

You're crazy if you think the province is going to give up that much $$ in revenue.
Some people may get to save fees for one year. Sad to see Douggie copy JT's (very successful) playbook of bribing us with our money.

So you're saying dougie can't make money taking our money? I'm hardly surprised.

So you're saying dougie can't make money taking our money? I'm hardly surprised.
If you recall, in 2012 McGinty removed the 72 kiosks in ON that cost $2.2m/year to maintain. The Kiosks were unmanned, working fine, and cost about $12M to deploy. He pulled them under the excuse he was worried they might get targetted by 'skimmers'. He replaced them with hundreds of small Service ON outlets, upping that cost substantially -- nobody knows how much but if each outlet cost only cost $300K/year, that would be more than the $2.2M/year it was costing to maintain Kiosks.

That was a Liberal thing at the time -- every time a manufacturer left Ontario, McGinty or Wynne created the equivalent in govt jobs.

Don't think of it as a failure to make money, look at it as a fiscally responsible move, a win for you, the taxpayer. The proposal eliminates the shuffle of $120/car of your dollars into the public purse.

Is that the definition of struggling to run your dad's sticker factory?
His dad's factory will no longer be printing license plate stickers for Ontario.

If you recall, in 2012 McGinty removed the 72 kiosks in ON that cost $2.2m/year to maintain. The Kiosks were unmanned, working fine, and cost about $12M to deploy. He pulled them under the excuse he was worried they might get targetted by 'skimmers'. He replaced them with hundreds of small Service ON outlets, upping that cost substantially -- nobody knows how much but if each outlet cost only cost $300K/year, that would be more than the $2.2M/year it was costing to maintain Kiosks.

That was a Liberal thing at the time -- every time a manufacturer left Ontario, McGinty or Wynne created the equivalent in govt jobs.

Don't think of it as a failure to make money, look at it as a fiscally responsible move, a win for you, the taxpayer. The proposal eliminates the shuffle of $120/car of your dollars into the public purse.
I forgot about those already! They were great!

His dad's factory will no longer be printing license plate stickers for Ontario.
Plates are a great example. Neither the liberals or pc's could do a simple thing like make plates. The libs couldn't get the paint to stick and the pc's didn't understand that the colour mattered. No wonder neither can run a province.

Back
Top Bottom