Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles

I just paid 720 for stickers a few weeks ago. Exciting that I get it back, I am not looking forward to the announcement after the election where they make up the revenue somehow.

I'm still hoping this statement, as reported in another article, is true and that the program isn't making much in other years (if at all) to justify the cost:

"In 2018-19, Ontario's Financial Accountability Officer (FAO) reported that Vehicle and Driver Registration Fees brought $1.95 billion into the government's coffers, but that the program ended up costing $2.4 billion that year -- leaving a $436 million program shortfall."

I'm still hoping this statement, as reported in another article, is true and that the program isn't making much in other years (if at all) to justify the cost:

"In 2018-19, Ontario's Financial Accountability Officer (FAO) reported that Vehicle and Driver Registration Fees brought $1.95 billion into the government's coffers, but that the program ended up costing $2.4 billion that year -- leaving a $436 million program shortfall."
A friend with a SO office just got a kick in the nuts. They were given no notice (they here from the press releases we see) and stickers are a substantial part of revenue (very low income per sticker but lots of stickers).

As for the program losing money, I suspect that will get far worse. Government got 99% of the money and supplied the sticker so maybe 98% of the program is profit. Losing money will be due to paying provincial run SO offices tons of money to sit around. I doubt they will give those a haircut so you will have 98% of the expenses and 0% of the revenue.

Does anyone have the link, to apply for the refunds?
Head of the province guy gave it out on the news.

Does anyone have the link, to apply for the refunds?
Head of the province guy gave it out on the news.

According to the MTO site, you don't need to apply, just pay any fines by March 7 and make sure your address is current (since they mail them out):

I just paid 720 for stickers a few weeks ago. Exciting that I get it back, I am not looking forward to the announcement after the election where they make up the revenue somehow.
Groaned when I heard about the retroactive refund. We're gonna pay dearly for this later

The government never just gives back money, especially when every level of government is drowning in Covid debt.
As soon as the election is over we are going to have a new tax or ‘fee’ that will more than make up for this.

The government never just gives back money, especially when every level of government is drowning in Covid debt.
As soon as the election is over we are going to have a new tax or ‘fee’ that will more than make up for this.
My money is on that stupid annual/bi-annual safety including a charge per km. Drop 120 a year and between mileage charge and mechanic bending you over it will probably be $500+/yr.

Woah, it's retroactive to the start of COVID!!! I'm saving almost $1500 now.

"All licence plate sticker fees paid between March 1, 2020 and March 12, 2022 for vehicles owned by individuals will be refunded."
wtf........

wtf........
I guess I should be happy that Douggie is learning and growing as a politician. JT taught him how successful bribing the population is and he has adopted that as his campaign strategy. Sucks for future generations bent over by the current moronic leadership though.

I guess I should be happy that Douggie is learning and growing as a politician. JT taught him how successful bribing the population is and he has adopted that as his campaign strategy. Sucks for future generations bent over by the current moronic leadership though.
Buck-a-beer didn't work, so here's a new grift. Wanna bet it gets repealed after the next provincial election when the ruling guv finds out how much money was lost ?

My money is on that stupid annual/bi-annual safety including a charge per km. Drop 120 a year and between mileage charge and mechanic bending you over it will probably be $500+/yr.

This seems likely, modelled after other countries. And sadly, it will be met with great applause from the citizenry, because of $afety

This seems likely, modelled after other countries. And sadly, it will be met with great applause from the citizenry, because of $afety
If we could separate safety from extortion, I wouldn't be so opposed to it but I have no faith in that. If business is slow, shops will find things that need to be replaced. Since inspections would be mandatory and frequent, they don't care if you never come back, someone else will be there to keep them busy. Maximize every invoice, no repercussions. It will be good times. /s

Now put license plates on ebikes!
That's a practical and potential effective solution to a problem. There is no way a government does something like that. In all seriousness, requiring plates/insurance for ebikes will kill them. They are great cheap transport but increasing cost to operate by an order of magnitude or more will wipe out their reason for being.

Only the government could lose money while taking money

Back
Top Bottom