Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario considers eliminating licence plate stickers for vehicles

That's a practical and potential effective solution to a problem. There is no way a government does something like that. In all seriousness, requiring plates/insurance for ebikes will kill them. They are great cheap transport but increasing cost to operate by an order of magnitude or more will wipe out their reason for being.
My biggest beef with them is thier use on sidewalks.I agree that they are a cheap form of transportation for those that can't afford a car.

So it's official now -- whoopee! I should be getting back fees on 3 cars and 4 bikes - $1200!

I like the way they do it in some states -- your vehicle is taxed as property. I remember getting a shock when I registered a new car for the first time it was almost $500/car, every year after it dropped by 30%.

So, just to make sure that I understand this. I paid $240 for 2 years worth of stickers for my wife’s car as it is the only one being driven right now, just a few weeks ago. I will be getting that refunded at some point. For my car and my bike which I haven’t purchased stickers for yet, I don’t need to do anything?

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

So, just to make sure that I understand this. I paid $240 for 2 years worth of stickers for my wife’s car as it is the only one being driven right now, just a few weeks ago. I will be getting that refunded at some point. For my car and my bike which I haven’t purchased stickers for yet, I don’t need to do anything?

Yup.

I think you need to renew the plate still just no sticker or fee. Not sure how this works.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Only the government could lose money while taking money
I think this is a hangover from Wynne and McGinty -- they blew up the size of Service Ontario and the MOT registration centers to create employment.

They made some incredibly stupid deals, I recall discussing call center operations with some industry buddies, Wynne's union deal tied call center staffing to wait times for Service Ontario outlets. If caller wait time average hit 2 minutes, more staff were hired. There was nothing tying it to call center efficiency,

Service Ontario allowed their call center reps to spend 35% of their time on admin work, (6% is for typical call center operators). They missed those targets, the actual amount of time spent answering phones was less than 50%.

Stuff like that costs money.

You mentioned that before MM and I do believe you.
Still I think it takes GP level incompetence to lose money while in the act taking it.

You mentioned that before MM and I do believe you.
Still I think it takes GP level incompetence to lose money while in the act taking it.
The wheels of gov't turn slowly when you're trying to reign in costs with good prudence. Do it too quickly and you never really understand what the impact is.

I don't think Ford was the slasher he was made out to be. He's taken time, rationalized cost savings where they have been austere or cuts made as they plan to restore the province's fiscal health.

Some folks caught in the middle -- nurses are one group that has a beef. Think about it for a second -- their work contract is 2000 hours./year, rotating day/night/weekday/weekend shifts for most. Teachers are paid more for their contract is 1000 hours/year, weekdays during normal business hours.

Ontario's civil service as a whole has pay parity issues. Wages for public administration workers doubled under the liberals, most gov't employees are >30% or more over their private sector counterparts, and overall double the average wages of Canadians. A lot of this was Liberal vote-buying in the last few elections -- Liberals DOUBLED gov't wages for rank and file administrators over 20 years, somehow that has to be corrected, slowing wage growth to close the gap over time is more palatable than slashing jobs or cutting wages.

I think you need to renew the plate still just no sticker or fee. Not sure how this works.

This is the part I don’t get.
Wouldn’t they rather NOT have to process my payment for 2 more stickers and then re-process a refund?

How will police check our plate status without something that says “23” on the back.

Definitely not well thought out.

Wouldn’t they rather NOT have to process my payment for 2 more stickers and then re-process a refund?

How will police check our plate status without something that says “23” on the back.

Cheques get mailed out in April. Deposit into your bank will still be in your mind when you are at the polls in ~May. Very well thought out for short term gain.

As for police. ALPR to get you while you're moving. Once they have you stopped (or occasionally while moving), they run you plate number through the computer anyway and the sticker doesn't matter (other than as a potential value added ticket).

No need for the sticker as soon as they enter the # they know if you have insurance and if you renewed. I think alot of people are going to get caught not renewing as they didn't realize they needed to, could be a good money maker

Cheques get mailed out in April. Deposit into your bank will still be in your mind when you are at the polls in ~May. Very well thought out for short term gain.

As for police. ALPR to get you while you're moving. Once they have you stopped (or occasionally while moving), they run you plate number through the computer anyway and the sticker doesn't matter (other than as a potential value added ticket).

ALPR - like the ANPR they have in the UK?

ALPR - like the ANPR they have in the UK?
Yup. Limited vehicles have the full system installed (mostly around the 407 ime) but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a poverty version that quickly becomes ubiquitous. You already have multiple dashcams in every cop car, run them into a magic box and off you go. Computer bings when it gets expired plate, likely suspended driver, etc. Sure, it wouldn't catch 100% of surrounding vehicles as the camera placement isn't ideal but it would get enough.

So what happens if you left your bike off the road for a year and didn't renew the sticker? Gotta pay for the time before the refund starting and then get a free sticker now? Plus, I've got a plate that hasn't been registered to a vehicle for years/decade, therefore no sticker since it was last on a vehicle.

We mostly all got the vaccine. Can't they just track it by our microchip?

So what happens if you left your bike off the road for a year and didn't renew the sticker? Gotta pay for the time before the refund starting and then get a free sticker now? Plus, I've got a plate that hasn't been registered to a vehicle for years/decade, therefore no sticker since it was last on a vehicle.
You still need to renew it is just free with no sticker.

yeah, will do he renewal and see how it goes.....

Also should be getting something back for the cage that I got a sticker for 2 years.....

Heard about the $495 fine?

This morning I renewed my vehicle licence plate.

Still had to wait in line even though this was done online. My place in the queue was 41 minutes to when the actual application to renew opened for me.
What is the deal with the online queue not enough servers, a small database or crappy application code?

Heard about the $495 fine?

This morning I renewed my vehicle licence plate.

Still had to wait in line even though this was done online. My place in the queue was 41 minutes to when the actual application to renew opened for me.
What is the deal with the online queue not enough servers, a small database or crappy application code?
The government just figured you would miss the whole MTO experience with no line.

Back
Top Bottom