Nurse values her job more than life ? I'm sorry saving her life is against our policy | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nurse values her job more than life ? I'm sorry saving her life is against our policy

AngelEyez

Site Supporter
What is this world coming to:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...fter-retirement-home-nurse-refuses-to-do-cpr/

I'm not a nurse, but aren't nurse's required to take some sort of oath similar to the hippocratic oath? I think her concern about losing her job by saving this woman's life by performing CPR on her kind of flies in the face of that oath doesn't it?

How can a nursing home, where presumably there's always someone in need of medical care, have a wait and do absolutely nothing till emergency personnel arrives policy in place - when they have nurses at the facility?

If she's 87 then she may have requested that she not be resuscitated if anything happened to her?
If you're 87 and have a stroke and survive, life ain't no picnic.

If she's 87 then she may have requested that she not be resuscitated if anything happened to her?
If you're 87 and have a stroke and survive, life ain't no picnic.

I'm sure being an elderly in a nursing home is no picnic to begin with, but I'm highly skeptical that the nurses denial of care was based on any such request by the dying woman. It seemed, based on the media reports, and the broadcasted emergency call recording, to be based on an overarching policy at the nursing home not to intervene in any emergency medical care. Which seems like a really bizarre policy to me for a nursing home, where the likelihood that someone would require such care is greater, and where health care practitioners like nurses are on staff.

I don't think this 'nurse' was really a nurse. Know what I mean?

In the article they state that when something happens in their 'independent living' section, the protocol is that the 'nurse' (I use that term loosely) call for proper medical professionals and wait.
Whereas, if you're part of the 'Assisted living and skilled nurse' section, then this wouldn't be an issue.

I think the structure in the US is different with these homes and that the 'nurse' on the 911 call wasn't any different from any secretary, or staff worker.
Do I agree with her not helping? no. But if it's like they stated, you sign the agreement when you move in there that no one will help you, then you're on your own.

If there was a DNR in place, then why would they call 911?

She didn't want to help her, fine... but this was also disturbing:

The 911 operator asked "Is there a gardener? Any staff, anyone who doesn't work for you? Anywhere? Can we flag someone down in the street and get them to help this lady? Can we flag a stranger down? I bet a stranger would help her."

The lady wouldn't even go find someone else who could help her she just goes "not at this time." and I'm pretty sure if she wasn't a real nurse, every single media report out there wouldn't be referring to her as a "nurse".

Apparently the lady collapsed in the dining hall of the facility im sure she wasn't alone.

Last edited:
If there was a DNR in place, I don't think they would have called 911.

She didn't want to help her, fine... but this was also disturbing:

The 911 operator asked "Is there a gardener? Any staff, anyone who doesn't work for you? Anywhere? Can we flag someone down in the street and get them to help this lady? Can we flag a stranger down? I bet a stranger would help her."

The lady wouldn't even go find someone else who could help her she just goes "not at this time." Did you even look?? and I'm pretty sure if she wasn't a real nurse, every single media report out there wouldn't be referring to her as a "nurse". Fine it wasn't an assisted-care facility, maybe the nurse was just so desensitized to people dying around her, I wouldn't be surprised if she was filing her nails when she made the call, that's the careless attitude that came across on the call.

911 gets called all the time when a DNR is in place.

People panic and dont know what to do or how to handle the situation.

Guess what happens when we show up, and you dont produce the DNR form. You get the "full revival" package ..

I wish people would just let them be.
They are the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.
They are the richest country on the planet with the strongest Military the world has ever seen.
They are exceptional and the world is jealous.

Please use these events to ensure that our great country does not go down that road.

* Based on the new documentary about hunger, in 1970's they had poverty under control with only 200 foodbanks nationwide. Today they have over 4000 foodbanks and 1 in 4 children go without food daily and 2 in 4 children have at one point in life not had food or did not know where the next meal is coming from. We got money for bombs and bullets but no money for books and broccoli.

Canada is supposedly buying a few US fighter jets and claim it will only cost $13 BILLION yet the recently fired Budget Guy said it was going to ACTUALLY cost us more like $26 BILLION. Who are we defending against that we need fighter jets or is this part of the big spending appeasement boondoggle?

Soon as I read it was company policy the one reason struck me.

Litigation.

I wish people would just let them be.
They are the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.
They are the richest country on the planet with the strongest Military the world has ever seen.
They are exceptional and the world is jealous.

Please use these events to ensure that our great country does not go down that road.

* Based on the new documentary about hunger, in 1970's they had poverty under control with only 200 foodbanks nationwide. Today they have over 4000 foodbanks and 1 in 4 children go without food daily and 2 in 4 children have at one point in life not had food or did not know where the next meal is coming from. We got money for bombs and bullets but no money for books and broccoli.

Canada is supposedly buying a few US fighter jets and claim it will only cost $13 BILLION yet the recently fired Budget Guy said it was going to ACTUALLY cost us more like $26 BILLION. Who are we defending against that we need fighter jets or is this part of the big spending appeasement boondoggle?

this is so true, but our government will lie cheat and steal from us no matter what.

What is this world coming to:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...fter-retirement-home-nurse-refuses-to-do-cpr/

I'm not a nurse, but aren't nurse's required to take some sort of oath similar to the hippocratic oath? I think her concern about losing her job by saving this woman's life by performing CPR on her kind of flies in the face of that oath doesn't it?

How can a nursing home, where presumably there's always someone in need of medical care, have a wait and do absolutely nothing till emergency personnel arrives policy in place - when they have nurses at the facility?

We get calls to Medical centres and Doctors offices, the staff wont help you if you go down.

We get calls to Medical centres and Doctors offices, the staff wont help you if you go down.

Yup. Don't bother shouting for Dr. or nurse from next room over, call 911 instead. Dr. or nurse will help on airplane or in ditch. Funny.

its the legal responsibility thing, it also depends on the doctor and or nurse and the "gung ho" level.

if I go down in a family doctors office, please lord let there be a firefighter, EMS or even a ski patrol in the waiting room. Your family doc or flu shot nurse probably hasnt done CPR since grad school.

this is so true, but our government will lie cheat and steal from us no matter what.

Then vote them out and get your local people within.
Get your local people to start attaching jail time for political malfeasance.

The $26 BILLION lie would have brought down the Harper Government but sadly we have no proper opposition.
It has gotten so bad that we had to wait for Justin Trudeau (*sp) to grow up and join the running.

In Canada:

We have the good samaritan act

In the US:

Anyone can be sued for breaking a rib on up trying to save someones life and probably sued (with less success) for their death.

Liability.

Cold by our standards.

Its all about liability, if she's told not to do it or she gets fired, she's better not doing it. Also, it's not like we are living in an economy where you can get fired and get a job the next day....

In Canada:

We have the good samaritan act

In the US:

Anyone can be sued for breaking a rib on up trying to save someones life and probably sued (with less success) for their death.

Liability.

Cold by our standards.

This.

Its all about liability, if she's told not to do it or she gets fired, she's better not doing it. Also, it's not like we are living in an economy where you can get fired and get a job the next day....

No. Instead, we live in an economy where your job is worth more than the next persons life, because there are more of those to go around. Live to work, until you can't. Live, that is.

No. Instead, we live in an economy where your job is worth more than the next persons life, because there are more of those to go around. Live to work, until you can't. Live, that is.

If she got fired for breaching protocol and her *** sued to pieces... well, seems to me like she wouldn't have much of a life anymore. between legal fees, being jobless, no on wanting to hire her, major debt, and money she has to pay out to the families.

It's not just about being fired. She would get SUED. she would lose everything.

Back
Top Bottom