New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Ontario Blue Licence Plates- Your Opinion?

Do you like the new Blue Ontario Licence plates?

• Total voters

oioioi

Site Supporter
I am sure some of you noticed the new Ontario blue licence plates on cars.

I did not know that these were coming into circulation, but it turns out these are the new plates being issued as of Feb 1 2020.

What do you think?

I personally don't like them.

The first one I saw was on a car at a parking lot last week and thought it was another "foreign government diplomat" type of thing.
I saw another one today while driving, on a Nissan Versa, so I looked into it.

They seem cheap looking to me and I think they are harder to read.
The government claims that they are cheaper to make and will last longer.
Made of aluminum with vinyl coating. Flat aluminum plate vs the old raised lettering.

New slogan as well.
"A place to grow" instead of the "Yours to discover"

My current plates are peeling and sticker is due on April so I thought of replacing both as the sticker does not have much to hold onto. I might rush into Service Ontario to see if they still have any old ones left. Although I have a feeling they won't issue them as they have probably been mandated to issue new ""Ford" plates.

I am unsure if this affects cars only or motorcycles as well. Especially since there are already blue motorcycle plates.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/new-blue-ontario-licence-plates-1.5454205

Ontario's new licence plates hit the road: Here's what you need to know

1581388022802.png

Chime in...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that they've been blue before.

Yes, sometime around 1950.

Yes, sometime around 1950.

I remembered them alternating yearly in the 70s. Last blue plate was 79.

49519318632_ef738f0eb1_b.jpg

You are right. I misread an article.
Re-read it and it's 50 years ago which would be 1970s.

I knew there was a 50 in there somewhere or somehow.

Last edited:
they are two tone blue(with the Trillium leaf showing)...they would be fine if they were one colour but they are two different blues. Terrible on many colours of vehicles.

It will look really sharp on our blue car and look just awful on the red car. May need to trade the red car in.

I saw two yesterday and thought they were temporary plates. No raised letters makes them look different. Don't mind the colours, it was time for a change. If they last longer than the old ones and cost less to manufacture I'm all for it.

We've had a few sets come through already, they seem much more cheaply made than the old ones.

Thinner than the previous style with no raised letters. A few of them the vinyl wasn't on straight, one side had a tiny bit of bare metal while the other side had a bit of vinyl overhanging which peels off easily.
Depending on how the plate mounts if it isn't complete flat they bend out if you over tighten them.

Consensus so far is that they are ugly and low quality, just like the government that brought them out.

To my eye they look like a box of qtips... IMG_20200205_115709_964.jpeg

Plates perfectly match my blue car!!!
Gov't. is now in the customization business. Thanks Doug Fart.

As was said before, if they're cheaper to make and last longer then I don't care. If they really want to cut the cost of plates in half they should just eliminate the useless front plate.
Whether they last longer remains to be seen, my last plates went 9 years and 3 cars with hardly any wear. I don't see how that vinyl could last longer than the painted ones in our climate.

Cutting the cost is great, seeing as they charge the same amount as the old plates let's hope they put the newfound extra money they are collecting to good use.

My current plates are peeling and sticker is due on April so I thought of replacing both as the sticker does not have much to hold onto. I might rush into Service Ontario to see if they still have any old ones left. Although I have a feeling they won't issue them as they have probably been mandated to issue new ""Ford" plates.

You can still get personalized plates in the old style as they are not available in the new style yet. Might be your last chance to get the old style.
4161ed75c39dce279f5351220839c6ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether they last longer remains to be seen, my last plates went 9 years and 3 cars with hardly any wear. I don't see how that vinyl could last longer than the painted ones in our climate.

Cutting the cost is great, seeing as they charge the same amount as the old plates let's hope they put the newfound extra money they are collecting to good use.

Yes I would also think that if they are cheaper to make than they would be cheaper for us.

However they still have not reveled how much this whole redesign program cost the tax payers thus far.

Maybe the little saving from each plate is paying for that.

I am apathetic to this.

My current plates are at least 30 years old. One is in terrible shape (quite rusty) the other looks fine. Everytime I change cars, they want me to get new plates. Screw that. These have over 1,000,000 kms on them and are three letter, three number plates. The bad one will get a bath in evaporust soon.

Back
Top Bottom